3800 Power steering pump options? by dudley1977
Started on: 06-15-2014 06:35 PM
Replies: 5 (282 views)
Last post by: DKcustoms on 06-15-2014 10:31 PM
dudley1977

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dudley1977Send a Private Message to dudley1977Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 87 GT with a series 1 3800 swap. My power steering pump (which is not in use of course) has been replaced. The mechanic I used says he pulled the guts out of the part and greased it all up so it could be used as a dummy part. However, the bearings on the part are burnt out, just like the one he supposedly replaced (not sure I believe him, as it looks exactly like the pump that was existing, and has the same burnt bearing issue). Does anyone know of a rocker arm (at least I think thats what it's called) to put in place of the power steering pump? I'm guessing this is a common issue. Hoping someone manufactures this part. I know about the belt rerouting, but that seems like a rather expensive and risky option with this two belt system. I would love some input. Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Isn't the stock power steering location the same spot as the low-mount alternator location?

If so, you could mount your alternator there and kill 2 birds with one stone
dudley1977

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dudley1977Send a Private Message to dudley1977Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wouldn't that leave me with the same issue? Needing a rocker arm in place of the alternator instead?
87FieroSport

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buy a dummy pulley and bracket. Problem solved, that is my plan with the stock Alt location.
dudley1977

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dudley1977Send a Private Message to dudley1977Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes.. That is what I want to do. Just wondering if there is a pully and bracket that line up for this issue? I've never delt with this before, so I don't know where to even begin looking or what to look for
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dudley1977:

Wouldn't that leave me with the same issue? Needing a rocker arm in place of the alternator instead?

Not if you just use a shorter belt instead of trying to route it all the way up to the stock alt location.

The point of the low mount alternator is to get it out of sight and keep the supercharger the main focus, and for clearance on the GT's.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock