Rear Main Seal by J.E. Rowlett
Started on: 06-15-2014 12:16 PM
Replies: 5 (786 views)
Last post by: J.E. Rowlett on 06-16-2014 01:48 PM
J.E. Rowlett

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J.E. RowlettSend a Private Message to J.E. RowlettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am new to the forum and my question probably has been answered many times. I have 2 shop manuals and they conflict about my question. I have a 85GT 2.8 / 4Spd. I have the engine out and wanted to replace rear main just for maintenance. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
John
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum! I am sure some of the many knowledgeable people on the forum will respond to your post
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is a one piece seal. Pull it out and then you press in a new one using the holes in the crank along with a tool to pull it into place. Larry
J.E. Rowlett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J.E. RowlettSend a Private Message to J.E. RowlettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the welcome and answers. Any description of the seal tool or where I could get one?
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FelPro, or Timken both manufacture rear main seals for the 2.8l. There are others but I would look at these first. I recently used the FelPro on our 2.8 and all is well after 1000 mi.. Install was easy. Clean shaft and block surfaces well and put a very thin coat of grease, or oil on both sides of the seal prior to pressing it in. Some use rtv sealant on the block side and oil on the shaft side. Additionally, you will find that the replacement seal types are allot smaller than the OEM one you took out. Really not that difficult of a job if your trans is out anyway. Fiero Store and Rock Auto, and many others, have the seal you want.

You probably should also do the cam shaft seal, just above the main, while your there, just cheap insurance against any leaks. For the cam seal I used a Victor seal, others available, with thin black rtv on both sides.

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 06-16-2014).]

J.E. Rowlett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J.E. RowlettSend a Private Message to J.E. RowlettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for your repliles

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock