Firebird Power Steering RACK by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 06-12-2014 04:23 PM
Replies: 48 (3285 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 12-10-2015 05:38 PM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2014 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
#3, I cut off the firebird mounts (on the rack) used the stock passenger side frame mount, and moved the drivers side fiero drivers side mount a few inches toward center. (that's the "cheapest" way out). the only" parts" I had to BUY were the tie rod end "adapters".($40) The alternative was buying the mounting plate which goes for around $100. I have a lot of time (I hope), and limited "Means", so that was my choice.
IP: Logged
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2014 03:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am so thinking of adding power steering to my N* car... this thread makes me want it....

------------------

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a---sold
Northstar Rebuild

tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are the tie rod adapters necessary? The 84-87 Fiero outer tie rod end will screw on to the F-body inner tie rod ends. Are they to lengthen the rack? Is the rack centered, or are the adapters used to "center" everything? If I recall correctly, the adapters are 2 different lengths.

I have a rack and am ready to dive into this. How long did it take to get the adapters from West Coast Fiero? I have heard too many bad stories about them and really don't want to deal with them unless I have to.

Did you simply clamp the cut pressure line to the 3/8 tube? What kind of pressures do these systems see?

One last questio- Do you get ALL of the "road feel" with the power rack? I'm hoping to get rid of all of the shock and vibration that comes through the manual rack. I think it makes the car feel little and cheap. I'm all for great road feel and quick ratios, but don't like it when the road steers the car. It's like fighting the wheel on my old Ford tractor.

Sorry for all of the questions, but detailed info on this subject is very hard to find.

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

[This message has been edited by tesmith66 (edited 12-09-2015).]

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did all this 1 1/2 years ago. if you ask me about what happened 50-55 years ago, I can tell you ! LOL I used the adapters because the rack is a different diameter and as I remember the rack is male and the Fiero inner tie rods are female, unlike the firebird inner tie rods. I "think" I read that the firebird tie rod end fits the Fiero spindles, but the "Taper" in the hole is different, and the inner tie rods need to be shortened. ( like I said, Hard to remember.) NEXT time I do it, I will make a "Adapter PLATE" to bolt directly to the car that I weld Brackets to "perfectly Match" the firebird rack. Anyone already having a Swapped engine (3.8-northstar, etc, that originally came with PS, it's a relatively easy swap. Best to have a Spare front crossmember to have sitting there so you can lay everything out without having to work around the car, then install it as a Unit. I hope that helps. Never did hear of a "Source" for the "Electric" PS Pumps that will bolt up & work for less than $150 !
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ruh-roh, didn't pay attention to the date

I know how the memory thing goes, at least I think I do...

I currently have a power steering pump on my DOHC swap that I looped the hose on and am using as an idler. I have a crossmember and a rack, and I have thought about making a bolt-on adapter that the stock Firebird rack will simply drop onto. I guess I'm halfway there already.

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2015 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's it in a nut shell ! just make sure to use the original Crimp style rubber hoses w/ steel tubes that you can compression fit onto whatever fittings you use, or the pressure may blow them off. besides that I found it's cheapest to just buy a roll of 3/8" tubing and run 2 lines front to rear.
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2015 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where did you get the fittings?
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2015 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
compression fittings -Advanced, fittings at the rack-True Value hardware
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2015 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just some quick info...
If you have an 88, your outer tierod ends are the same part number as the F-body pieces.
I received my Firebird rack a couple of weeks ago. This is going to be my winter project. I plan to use an electric pump from a "last gen" MR2 Spyder. Kind of spendy, but Spoon used the same pump with apparently good results.
Since the difference in the length of the two WCF adapters in only about 1/2", I'm thinking that any difference made by using those adapters will be negligible. (i.e., moving the rack 1/2" to either side will not make a noticeable difference in the geometry. Or at least not in the steering/handling.)

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 12-10-2015).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock