3.4 Crate Motor-- Lower Air Cond Bracket Mounting by motohd50
Started on: 06-10-2014 01:17 AM
Replies: 10 (353 views)
Last post by: motohd50 on 06-20-2014 10:55 AM
motohd50

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motohd50Send a Private Message to motohd50Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Almost Done with this but need some help with the lower Air Cond bracket for the 88. New block has the missing hole for the lower bracket. Purchased Rodneys bracket but looks to only work, if not using the 88 Front engine mount. For those that did this swap, any ideas or Pictures of brackets made up for this application ? Thanx guys.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think that I used an earlier bracket. I believe there is a bolt welded in to the bottom hole, to be used as a stud.
I may be wrong, however. It's been quite a few years...

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When Ed Parks did the 3.4 on an 88 he used a 85-87 V-6 engine bracket. He redrilled the holes to the motor mount offset (I think towards the passenger side). It is not enough so he maybe slotted the cradle holes some also? He then welded a bolt into the factory cast A/C bracket. So my steel A/C bracket replicates that. I'm not sure if you can modify the 88 engine bracket enough to retain it. I know some have mentioned that in the years past but it has been many years now and I can't remember.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used Rodney's bracket on my crate to 88 swap (I think I was one that mentioned the issue to him as well). I did have to mod it a bit for it to work, but it has been a couple years and I don't remember exactly what it was I did. I do recall taking some pictures (I am sure I sent them to Rodney as well, but could be wrong). I will look tonight to see if I can dig them up.

That being said, I don't recall that it require anything major done to it, but the old brain isn't what it used to be.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 06-10-2014).]

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On the 88s I would use an earlier year A/C bracket and the shock mount form an 85-87 too.
I would tap out one hole on the shock mount for a bigger bolt. No welding a nut or anything like that.
That is what I did on the 88s I have done.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined '87 Duke (Sold)
'87 Quad 4 H.O.
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I can't seem to find the pictures I had during the installation. I seem to remember that I had to grind the 'bottom' edge off as it was interfering with the lip of when the oil pan attaches. I used the 88 brackets and such as I didn't have any other ones (plus the parts are not easy to come by here in my area in Canada). Now my engine was the crate S10 upgrade, not sure which one you are using. Here is the best picture I can get of the bracket installed on mine.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

edit - will post the other pictures once I find them.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 06-10-2014).]

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 3.4 A/C bracket is more or less dimensionally the same as the 85-87 V-6 bracket but without the ears for the engine shock. So one could use the GM bracket and cut off the ears for the engine shock. Mine will look nicer but no one really sees it once it is installed. You would maybe need to have both on hand to see which one might work better if you are trying to retain the stock 88 V-6 engine mount bracket.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I can't seem to locate the pictures I am sure I had of Rodney's bracket with the modifications.

But I am sure all I had to do was some grinding to it to get it to fit the 88 brackets/mounts. I remember having to take some off the bottom, but I may have had to make it a bit thinner as well <- but that is a big think on the thinner part. I do know it wasn't a major modification (welding and such) to make it work as I would remember that for sure (it's the minor things that I tend to forget ).

Sorry not much more help. Have a feeling the pictures are still on a camera card someplace as I can't seem to find it - I am sure I have 3 cards for the garage camera.
motohd50

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motohd50Send a Private Message to motohd50Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That pic shows the new bracket between the Engine block and the Engine mount bracket. So would be safe to say that I need to pull out the Engine mount to mount Rodneys bracket?
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by motohd50:

That pic shows the new bracket between the Engine block and the Engine mount bracket. So would be safe to say that I need to pull out the Engine mount to mount Rodneys bracket?

Yes.

...well probably just the bolt that goes through it.
motohd50

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motohd50Send a Private Message to motohd50Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to Mickey_Moose Pic , I was able to install Rodney Fine Bracket. Thanks all for the help in this matter. This is one of the most helpful forums I ever used.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock