86 GT trunk carpet wet by kendallville
Started on: 06-08-2014 01:17 PM
Replies: 18 (777 views)
Last post by: kendallville on 06-10-2014 11:10 PM
kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so I am still working on my sons 86 GT . Today I decided to look at the rear trunk area because I needed to
take out the carpet clean it and let it dry. Why because it is always wet , it never dries out!
So I took out the carpet and the trunk seal out of the car. Now don't get me wrong I like the cars as much as the
next fanatic but it looks like a poor design to channel water away from the trunk. Water that goes over the side of
the deck lid has no were to go. It looks like it just runs to the back of the car and then back down into the car.
Is the trunk seal the only thing that keeps the water out and if so where is it supposed to go?
In the following pic it looks as if the water is supposed to go along the side of the trunk in the trough then down the gap
between the trunk and the bumper where I have the yellow wire, is this correct? or am I all wet?

Now what to do? will a new seal fix the problem? or is there supposed to be a drain to carry the water away ?
if so could it be plugged? sorry for the long post
Also wanted to post even with the wet carpet no trunk rust

[This message has been edited by kendallville (edited 06-08-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are two ways water can get in the trunk (assuming there are no holes in it). One is a bad trunk seal. The other is where the wing attaches (bad wing gaskets).
I think someone here on Pennock's offers GT trunk seals.
kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I checked for leaks by pouring water on the side of the deck lid . it runs in on the side of the trunk .
The trunk sits lower than the back of the car as seen in pics above . there is a plastic tray at both ends
of the trunk , they leak . so the question remains how is water supposed to get out when the trunk is
lower than the back of the car ?
85 SE VIN 9

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 85 SE with a tiny wing and bone dry trunk and an 85 GT with the big wing and a wet trunk that leaks whenever it rains, moving or not.
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 01-02-2016).]

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by infinitewill:

Sounds like the D plates (which cover the stock oval Fiero trunk space and make it rectangular) may have cracks in them. Not all that common but not unheard of.

Mine leak, but not too bad.

The D-plates are a pain to replace if I remember right?
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They don't have to leak much because it takes a really long dry spell to dry out what does get in.
kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sounds like the D plates (which cover the stock oval Fiero trunk space and make it rectangular) may have cracks in them. Not all that common but not unheard of. If your trunk seal is in good shape I too would suspect the gaskets under your wingstands.

Dr. W.

I have seen posts on the D plates before but did not understand , I think I do know but do you know how the water is supposed to get off of them.
do they have a drain or does the water drain off the back , and the trunk gasket keep it from going in the trunk?
I would love to get him a new gasket but I have no job , and he has no $ so it will have to wait for now. thanks

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm pretty sure the water drains to the sides and out of the channel through an opening below the lock mechanism. I don't have a picture handy.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 01-02-2016).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If its the original seal, its dried out. While it may look good, it isnt sealing where it contacts the mounting base. If you can use the original one because it looks good, put a good bead of weatherstrip adhesive around the whole base where the seal sets, then close it and let it dry for a day. It should seal well then if the seal isnt torn or collapsed anywhere. By what you said, Ill assume none is coming in from rustholes under the floor or sides.
PFF
System Bot
kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If water gets on the D plates it should just fall to the ground. There is a gap between the trunk and the rear facia.

Dr.W.

That is what I thought but was not sure. I don't see any rust holes for the water to get in ,and the seal looks good
but I am sure its old and dried out . I poured water on the D plate and you can see it run in along the outside
walls of the trunk . still could not see exactly where it gets in from the D plate.
So first The D plates were loose sitting there so used rtv gasket material to seal them down ,and one had a crack
along the top edge so glued and sealed it. next I took a tube of silicone caulk and put a bead all the way around the
trunk seal in the gap that fits on the trunk . I hope that will seal it on the car and not let water run in there .
Now just to let it sit for a day and dry. then I will check it again ( or the rain will ) to see if it still leaks.
It would be nice if we both get our cars running again.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would have used weatherstrip adhesive or windshield installation sealer over silicone. Silicone gets harder and may continue to leak. I see people sealing in leaking sunroofs and they barely slow the water down. Only some time will tell if you got it permanently sealed.
kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was not my first choice , just what I had on hand. In fact it was a latex caulk so I hope it works .
I wanted to try using rtv all the way around but did not have enough. Less medical bills or an income
would help a lot .
Like you said time will tell , but I plan on testing it tomorrow unless it rains first. If it still leaks I will tear it
out and try again when I can.
timinator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timinatorSend a Private Message to timinatorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On my 87 gt the po used silicone and sealed over the channel that Fierosound mentioned, making a small lake everytime water entered the area. I peeled the silicone off and even with my crappy ripped seal I have no leaks. I suppose dirt and grime could block it too.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by timinator:

On my 87 gt the po used silicone and sealed over the channel that Fierosound mentioned, making a small lake everytime water entered the area. I peeled the silicone off and even with my crappy ripped seal I have no leaks. I suppose dirt and grime could block it too.

Yeah - in an effort to "fix" the problem, he'd have only made it worse.

kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

the po used silicone and sealed over the channel that Fierosound mentioned, making a small lake everytime water entered the area. I peeled the silicone off and even with my crappy ripped seal I have no leaks. I suppose dirt and grime could block it too.
[QUOTE][B

[QUOTE][B]Originally posted by fierosound:

Yeah - in an effort to "fix" the problem, he'd have only made it worse.

poured a little water on the decklid and watched it go in. Then opened the decklid to see where the water went.
The water went into the D plate like it should but then instead of going towards the back of the car and thru
that gap when it got to the corner it went down into the trunk.
I lifted the flap on the corner of the seal a little and found the problem. I had put caulk in the grove of the seal
when I put it back in and it felt tight , and here is the big BUT. I did not look just went by feel, the seal had
SHRUNK yes that is a lot of it . In the corner it left about a 1/8 inch gap where it did not fit tight , so when the water
gets to the back instead of going out the back it took the shortest rout and in the trunk . I filled that gap with some
rtv gasket material . Now later when it rains I will be able to see if it leaks or goes out the back like it should.

[This message has been edited by kendallville (edited 06-10-2014).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is that a silicone dam in the area I circled in BLUE?
I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be open.

kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will have to check in the morning if it stops raining.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock