Swapping a V6 2.8 from a 1986 GT to a 1988 cradle/car by hcforde
Started on: 06-04-2014 04:58 PM
Replies: 5 (188 views)
Last post by: onesexyfiero on 06-06-2014 07:34 PM
hcforde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any issues in doing this? I 'hopefully' assume it is plug & play. However which ECM should I use?

I am considering doing this because the V6 that is in the 1986 has been rebuilt with a different cam and is destroked. The 1988 it is potentially going into has some body modifications that I like.

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The engine block is similar but there are some differences in assembly.
If you are just installing the engine onto the 88 sub-frame there should be no issues.
The early cars have different engine mounts and use that dampener near the oil filter.
I think the water pump has different routing for the hoses? It may take a plug to block off the heater hose nipple.
The heater hoses on an 88 take off from below not above.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also make sure you keep the flywheels with their respective engines since the earlier engine have externally balanced cranks using weights on the flywheel whereas the '88 engine is internally balanced and uses a neutrally balanced flywheel. I would use the later ECM although I doubt there is much difference if any at all.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 88 ECM does not have a rev limit. Just FYI
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mcguiver3 :The engine block is similar but there are some differences in assembly.
If you are just installing the engine onto the 88 sub-frame there should be no issues.
The early cars have different engine mounts and use that dampener near the oil filter.
I think the water pump has different routing for the hoses? It may take a plug to block off the heater hose nipple.
The heater hoses on an 88 take off from below not above.

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

Also make sure you keep the flywheels with their respective engines since the earlier engine have externally balanced cranks using weights on the flywheel whereas the '88 engine is internally balanced and uses a neutrally balanced flywheel. I would use the later ECM although I doubt there is much difference if any at all.

I would transfer the whole drivetrain. It is a 4 speed.

[This message has been edited by hcforde (edited 06-05-2014).]

onesexyfiero

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Earlier motor doesn't have the improved y pipe heat shielding, since it had the fans in the trunk to cool the ignition system. The y pipe is also a different length, connecting with the cat pipe at a different spot. I'd recommend keeping the 88 exhaust from the y pipe back. If you're putting a 4 speed in the 88, you'll need to route your own wires for the reverse lights. An 86 4 speed has the switch at the shifter, wired through the body harness. 88's w/ 5 speeds run from C500 (by the battery) to the trans in the engine harness. An 86 wire harness should have the getrag style wiring in the harness, dead ending around the water pump where the harness T's. Just run those 2 wires into the car, and install the switch when you swap shifters.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock