Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  If your front trunk light doesn't work, try this easy 'no tools required' fix.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
If your front trunk light doesn't work, try this easy 'no tools required' fix. by David Hambleton
Started on: 06-01-2014 07:18 PM
Replies: 8 (1298 views)
Last post by: theogre on 06-04-2014 01:52 AM
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My '84 & '86 front trunk lights weren't working. I've never needed them - but they're there so I thought I should fix them.

While at the Glendale Auto Parts U-pick for the ignition module, coils & crank sensor assembly ($20!), I took out the hood switch (free). I could see why the two at home were not likely working: corrosion. You can see in the pic below that there are two angled surfaces that contact the cone by spring pressure to complete the circuit. The pliers are holding the contacts open as the hood does when closed; the contact surfaces eventually become non-conductive with corrosion.

With a good bulb in the socket, and the tail light switch on, twist the switch striker button back & forth a little until you wear the corrosion off & the bulb will likely come on.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did all models have lights in the front trunk ? I did not know that , were would it be located if so?
pics would help if possible thanks
fierogtx

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtxSend a Private Message to fierogtxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-2-082191.html there is a pic about the bulb on this threads
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kendallville:

Did all models have lights in the front trunk ? I did not know that , were would it be located if so?
pics would help if possible thanks

If your car has a switch near the latch mechanism hole as shown here:

look for a 194 push-in type bulb & socket between the HVAC motor & the windshield washer fluid tank as shown in the pics in fierogtx's thread just above.

I think the light was in all cars. My '84 SE, '86 base Coupe and '88 Formula all have it, although the '86 doesn't have a bracket - the socket just hangs out of the wiring harness.

Many might suspect the bulb is burnt out while in reality, it may never have been on. It's more likely that the switch contacts are corroded and/or the hood has never been opened when the parking light switch is on.

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 06-02-2014).]

kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This I do have never noticed it before

This however I do not , I did find the socket after looking behind things

but never found the bracket that holds it, also no lamp.
That is why I never noticed it , no light and I never looked for it.
Thanks
JJFieroFan

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I replaced the bulb on mine but it was corrosion and not the bulb. I took a tooth brush and knocked off the corrosion and I think I used a bit of wd40 on it. Works like a charm now. They work only when the hood is up and the parking lights are on.
NW-Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NW-FieroSend a Private Message to NW-FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my 85 SE has the brackets for the internal lights but there are no sockets or wires that appear to have ever been hooked up. The trunk has a gray cover plate over were the light would be and nothing in the front trunk area. The plungers just activate the AJAR dash light .

------------------
Mark
' 85 2m6 3.4PR
In the Great Northwest!

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NW-Fiero:

my 85 SE has the brackets for the internal lights but there are no sockets or wires that appear to have ever been hooked up. The trunk has a gray cover plate over were the light would be and nothing in the front trunk area. The plungers just activate the AJAR dash light .

I 'upgraded' my base '86 coupe with the interior & trunk lights & the dash power deck release as follows:

I got the interior cross-car wire with a plug & two sockets that fit the existing mounting holes from a parts car; the plug was different so I adapted it to the existing connector that was hanging from 2 white & one orange wire by the fuse panel.

I got the trunk light wiring & ran it under the rubber trunk seal to the battery area. The wiring is easily fished through the existing holes. I got a new trunk light assembly from The Fiero Store.

I got the trunk release solenoid, wiring & switch which plugged into the exiting instrument pod harness and the rear wiring harness connector already there. The wiring is fished through the decklid.

Look closely in the front compartment on the passenger's side - you may find a small socket just hanging from the wiring harness for a 194 push-in bulb. It might be tucked behind the wiring harness.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:
My '84 & '86 front trunk lights weren't working. I've never needed them - but they're there so I thought I should fix them.

problem is switch is "indoor use only." Corrosion and breakage are common when used in hood/trunk areas.

Get a new Jamb switch and lube it and contacts w/ brake, bulb or dielectric grease.

Jamb switch will self adjust first time whatever is closed.
Can be order thru many places... RA, Advance, etc.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock