2.8 over run after ignition shut off. by pgold
Started on: 05-27-2014 07:08 PM
Replies: 5 (123 views)
Last post by: Neils88 on 05-28-2014 10:06 PM
pgold

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pgoldSend a Private Message to pgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 88 Gt with a 2.8 automatic and I'm having a over run problem when i turn off the ignition. Can a bad valve adjustment make this happen? After doing the valve adjustment this started to occur. I also pulled the steering column and disconnected the Plugs on the column. everything was plugged in very nicely so didn't think to much about it. Could this be a problem with the timing? Im kinda stuck.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lots of carbon in the combustion chamber plus low octane fuel. Fill up with premium and run an injector additive.
Retarded timing may be making the problem worse...but it's not doing this on it's own.

edit: your engine should run on 87 octane....but some regulars are better than others....

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 05-28-2014).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
is this what we used to call Dieseling? Because if it is, running on its own after shutting the engine off it was generally caused by bad timing.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

pgold

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pgoldSend a Private Message to pgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So if the valve adjustment was done wrong could it create this problem. I will check the timing and put fresh fuel in it as well.
NW-Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NW-FieroSend a Private Message to NW-FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can understand the carbon providing the fire but where is the fuel coming from to allowing dieseling in an electronicly fuel injected engine? timing or not.

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dieseling is caused when you have fuel, air and heat. Fuel can either be gas, or in extreme cases oil. In older engines, dieseling wasn't uncommon when you shut the engine down, but that's because you had a mechanical fuel pump feeding fuel to a carb. With modern engines the ECM cuts off the ignition and the injectors, so dieseling is rare. So it's possible that you have a leaking injector or worn rings / valve guides. You should also check your timing and PCV valve. (as a starting point...there are other possible items that when warn could contribute.)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock