Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  New Pushrods with existing lifters and rockers, asking for trouble?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
New Pushrods with existing lifters and rockers, asking for trouble? by hdryder
Started on: 05-26-2014 03:01 PM
Replies: 10 (1613 views)
Last post by: wftb on 05-27-2014 09:22 PM
hdryder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would it be a bad practice to install new pushrods in a used engine, using the existing lifters and rocker arms?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To what gain?

IMHO waste of time and money - if you have a damaged push rod, there are more than likely other issues.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cant see how it could hurt unless you have a bad rocker arm. Certainly a lot easier and faster than the disassembly needed to get out the lifters.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The higher the mileage the bigger the risk. The rocker arm, push rod and lifter have been broken-in for a clean match. If you replace just the push rod, then the rocker and lifter are going to break-in the new push rod at the expense of excessive wear x 6 or 8 cyl.

Think of it like this. You've got a nice pair of shoes that you've worn to church for 8 years and suddenly you lost the LEFT shoe. You go to the shoe market and find a brand new LEFT shoe for display only. You convince the clerk that you'll buy just the one LEFT shoe. You put the new LEFT shoe on and the old RIGHT shoe on and walk to church Sunday morning.........................................?....................................?..............................???

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I replaced the head on my son's 84 Duke. Ended up with a bent push rod. Probably faulty install. Replaced all push rods and the motor purrrrrrrrsss. Like it should. Replacing push rods are a piece of cake. Don't cheap out.
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
replace the lifters, the rockers and pushrods should be fine unless there was a bad oiling issue, in which case I wouldn't be worried about just lifters, pushrods and rockers....
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The first question you need to answer is why you want to replace the pushrods in the first place.....broken or bent one? improve running condition, preventative measure ?
hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are no damaged pushrods.

During a top-end tear down, as recommended, I placed each used pushrod in a box/hole marked with cylinder and valve location. I was planning to replace the used pushrods back into the same location that they were removed from the engine.
Unfortunately sometime afterward I accidently tipped the box holding the pushrods over, in which three of the pushrods came all the way out of box and holes they were stored in.
I am unable to determine which of the three holes those three pushrods actually came from.
Therefore I am not sure if it would be worse to use the wrong used pushrod in the wrong lifter/rocker location, or would it maybe better to replace with new pushrods.
I realize using new pushrods would still not be ideal, as the lifters and rockers have an existing wear pattern.
But I would rather not have to spend money on new: lifters, rockers & pushrods to resolve this problem if I can help it.

Thank you for the help on this matter.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gotcha. I say go for it and hope for the best. I dont see any problem, but im no engine expert...just a shadetree one at best
hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Gotcha. I say go for it and hope for the best. I dont see any problem, but im no engine expert...just a shadetree one at best

Go for it with new pushrods, or use the 3 mismatched pushrods I now have?

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go with the used ones .You have a 33% chance of getting them all in the right place and I dont think it is going to really matter any way .You have to set the valve lash before you fire it up and then I would reset it again after a thousand miles if it sounds noisy . The things that you do not want to mix up are the lifters .They wear in to the cam lobes and getting them wrong will cause problems .
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock