Started on: 05-25-2014 06:35 PM
Replies: 3 (171 views)
Last post by: sspeedstreet on 05-26-2014 01:24 PM
sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2014 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed a 1992 3.4DOHC in my 1988GT a while back and the A/C never worked. I'm redoing some of the harness because of heat damage at the firewall. I did find an error in my work that is probably why the compressor clutch was not being energized. Now I'm looking at the harness plug itself. The GM service manual shows a diode across the plug, but mine has none that I can see. Should there be one?

Thanks,

Neil
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2014 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The diode provides for protection for the relay contacts. It is possible that the diode is not located at the connector. It won't hurt to have two.

Make sure the diode is installed in the direction provided on the print. In normal operation the diode will not conduct. When the relay opens a counter voltage will be generated by the collapsing magnetic field. This voltage will cause a slight arc in the relay contacts. This repeated arcing will over time damage the contacts of the relay. The diode will shunt this counter voltage and keep the relay contacts from being damaged.

Use a 1N1002 up to a 1N1007 diode. Paypal me $1.00 and I will drop one in the mail for you. gofast@reddevilriver.com

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 05-25-2014).]

Marvin McInnis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Use a 1N1002 up to a 1N1007 diode.

In the interest of accuracy, shouldn't that be 1N4002 through 1N4007?

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 05-26-2014).]

sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, crap. I think I found the stock diode in my harness. In the melted length of the wiring is a heavy, dual wall piece of shrink tube that both the dark green and the ground wires to the A/C clutch pass through. I say crap because I thought that was my wiring error when I first saw it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock