Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Politics & Religion
  How do you spell R-E-L-i-E-F? A giant anti-acid for the world's oceans. Musk's XPRIZE

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How do you spell R-E-L-i-E-F? A giant anti-acid for the world's oceans. Musk's XPRIZE by rinselberg
Started on: 05-23-2022 01:36 AM
Replies: 2 (68 views)
Last post by: Notorio on 06-03-2022 12:23 AM
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2022 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The centerpiece idea is a network of thousands of buoys floating in the North Atlantic, each holding a microforest of seaweed and a few pounds of limestone. The seaweed will gobble up carbon from the air and water, and the limestone will serve as an antacid for the surface layer of the sea—like a Tums for the ocean.

With the shape of a small robot, a buoy's solar panels would power a cloud-connected camera and instruments to monitor kelp growth and water chemistry, a data feed vital for future carbon markets.

When a seaweed crop is cut, it will sink to the deep ocean where all the CO2 those plants absorbed will remain buried in sediment for thousands of years.

The company is also building floating oyster farms, which filter millions of gallons of seawater while growing a marketable source of protein and capturing carbon in the shells at the same time.

The company is "Running Tide" and its CEO, Marty Odlin, wants to be in the running for Elon Musk's $100 million XPRIZE for neutralizing eco public enemy numero uno: planet-heating and oceans-acidifying Carbon Dioxide.

"Meet the guy who wants to help save the planet with thousands of buoys, seaweed and giant antacids"
Bill Weir for CNN; May 22, 2022.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/05...20to%20go%20fishing.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 05-23-2022).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post05-23-2022 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Brought to you by ShadeBall(TM)
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2022 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's an interesting idea but I have to note that with a total ocean volume of more than 300 Million Cubic Miles, I am doubtful that 'thousands' of these buoys will do much: 'trillions' might be more like it. If we must sequester CO2 (which not that long ago used to be considered 'plant food'), I would restart the old Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) and have them plant site-appropriate trees everywhere, thin-out (i.e. properly manage) existing forests, and build sensible dams and desalinization plants where more water is needed. For a 2-year hitch I'd give folks a monthly stipend, boot up a retirement account, and free remote classes at the institution of their choice. [and in the same legislation I would require Congress to close for 4 months per year and spend 3 months at hard labor with the CCC.]

Any takers?

[This message has been edited by Notorio (edited 06-03-2022).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock