Started on: 03-28-2022 10:04 AM
Replies: 85 (1135 views)
Last post by: WonderBoy on 05-03-2022 03:48 PM
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2022 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I ran in to this, Its not bad, and I think it gets to the point of what "Diversity" really is and should be for the most part. Though it still mentions "groups" which I don't care for. A company uses this to "recognize" people.
It is not about affirmative action and aiming at certain skin colors or genders or "identities".
What do you guys think?

"Demonstrates sensitivity and caring when interacting with others in the workplace.
Leads employees in celebrating diversity in the workplace by helping others understand and value similarities and differences.
Speaks out regarding non-inclusive behavior in the workplace.
Proactively seeks differing opinions and perspectives to learn from others.
Participates in community activities that celebrate diversity or that reach a diverse audience.
Goes out of their way to make others feel appreciated and accepted.
Asks questions and listens carefully before responding.
Gathers feedback from a diverse audience to gain perspective.
Considers how decisions impact or influence diverse individuals or groups.
Shows interest in the individual traits, skills, and talents of others and looks for ways those characteristics can be utilized to benefit the company and ​​its customers.
Takes a leadership role on diversity councils or support groups."

It looks largely like a bunch of nonsense better suited to a Leftie "feelings" seminar than a business workplace.

1. Demonstrates sensitivity and caring when interacting with others in the workplace.

If you need "sensitivity and caring" then go see your Mom or the pastor of your church. If you come to work with that goal foremost in mind then you need to find another job. If you get treated unfairly at a job, go find another place to work.
I've also known many very good business executives and managers that are not particularly "sensitive and caring" but they were also very fair and honest in their dealings with employees and ran very successful businesses. They recognized that their primary function is not to be their employees "friend" or their "mother".
I have had gruff, disagreeable, employees that were excellent at their job and huge assets to my company and thus highly valued (and paid). "Sensitivity and caring" are not the most important thing in a successful business unless you're a nurse or a church.

2. Leads employees in celebrating diversity in the workplace by helping others understand and value similarities and differences.

Lazy people, incompetent people, assholes and dishonest people are all a "diverse" part of the workplace. They DO NOT need to be "celebrated".
This whole "celebrate" crap has gotten completely out of context and control, especially in business.

3. Speaks out regarding non-inclusive behavior in the workplace.

Not everyone needs to be, or should be, included in every aspect of the workplace and if that upsets their *feelings* then they are a liability to the business and need to go find another job. Any business manager, owner or executive that feels compelled to include everyone in everything is also a liability to that business.

4. Proactively seeks differing opinions and perspectives to learn from others.

Not everyone's opinion or perspective is worthwhile or needed. There are many times that, in order to effectively manage a business, you DO NOT seek out a plethora of *opinions*. This looks like an extension of the bad idea expressed by #3

5. Participates in community activities that celebrate diversity or that reach a diverse audience.

Oh great. We're back to the "celebrating" crap again.
If you're a business that is running a community activities center, a church or a theater, GREAT, otherwise these kind of "celebrations" are completely ancillary to the business of running a business. That said, if a business makes a point of involving itself exclusively with any particular group(s) of people in the community it is begging for backlash these days so the best policy is, sadly, to just stay out of "community involvement" unless you want to be "held hostage" by it.

6. Goes out of their way to make others feel appreciated and accepted.

That's great and good employee morale certainly has it's place but if you come to work with that goal foremost in mind instead of doing your job or managing the business effectively then you need to find another job. Show appreciation and acceptance WHERE AND WHEN IT IS WARRANTED, otherwise it is cheap, insincere and meaningless.

7. Asks questions and listens carefully before responding.

No problem with that.

8. Gathers feedback from a diverse audience to gain perspective.

Looks like just a repeat of #4 and same thing applies.

9. Considers how decisions impact or influence diverse individuals or groups.

The NUMBER ONE consideration is how decisions impact the business and the continued success of the business. "Diverse individuals" come into that process WAY behind all other considerations, unless you're in the *feelings* business.
That is NOT to say that anyone should engage in illegal acts as a result of their decisions.

Shows interest in the individual traits, skills, and talents of others and looks for ways those characteristics can be utilized to benefit the company and ​​its customers.

No problem with that

10. Takes a leadership role on diversity councils or support groups."

Another repeat. This time a repeat of #5 Not a lot of originality going on here.

Again, it is "extracurricular" activity to the business of running a business. Nothing particularly wrong with that but if this is preeminent in your thinking and goals then go work at a church, shelter, charity or community center, but recognize that it IS NOT the core mission of a profitable, successful, business.

Moreover, you should be able to involve yourself and / or your company in any groups, councils, charities or activities that you wish to, HOWEVER these days you are more likely to be pilloried by other people or groups for almost any of those activities that you do if it doesn't accord with THEIR particular interests. They may attempt to make your business and / or you suffer for it so, sadly, the best practice is not to .

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 04-28-2022).]

IP: Logged
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2022 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well said, sir.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2022 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:
It looks largely like a bunch of nonsense better suited to a Leftie "feelings" seminar than a business workplace.

Don't get me wrong that is what it is, but I have seen 10k times worse.
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2022 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Don't get me wrong that is what it is, but I have seen 10k times worse.

No matter what multiplier is used, a "wokeism cancer" in a business is still a cancer and it will eventually kill the business. It's just a matter of how swiftly.

One of the most self destructive things a business can do these days, is hire a "woke" millennial to manage their HR department. They are a cancer causing agent that will metastasize by causing resentment and distrust among the employees, infect profitability and distract the entire operation from what should be it's primary objectives.

They do that because, instead of business goals, they have "woke" social and political goals that they want to use the business to achieve and they don't care if they kill the business in the process. They will take the position that the business "needs to die " if they are unsuccessful in their achieving their "woke" goal.

I had need to hire 2 persons to handle HR matters for my company. Needless to say, I screened the 2nd one VERY carefully after the first one I hired turned out to be just what I described above and I had to fire her for insubordination after she defied my instructions and attempted to surreptitiously implement her "diversity" nonsense into my business after I told her in writing not to. Her lawsuit threats against me were as comical as they were short-lived.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2022 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No matter what multiplier is used, a "wokeism cancer" in a business is still a cancer and it will eventually kill the business. It's just a matter of how swiftly.
I .

One can hope , before it kills the entire country.
WonderBoy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2022 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WonderBoySend a Private Message to WonderBoyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

May not entirely fit the "woke" perspective, but the generation:
Dollar Tree manager out of a job after posting sign lamenting Gen Z's work ethic: 'Boomers ONLY'

Then you've got the apologists:

"People just need to be kind and understand other people’s situations. You don’t always know what’s going on in somebody else’s life, and it’s not all about you. Be compassionate with another," Bremen Resident Elizabeth Wily said.

If that's the case, I guess all workplaces need safe-spaces and crying rooms with therapy animals on site.

Screwed.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock