Fabbed an Exhaust for an E39 540 by zkhennings
Started on: 11-21-2022 12:39 PM
Replies: 5 (139 views)
Last post by: zkhennings on 04-12-2023 04:12 PM
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2022 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty happy with how this came out, it is my buddies car and he helped me a ton with my bus build so I repaid the favor by helping him install some wicked long tube headers and then fabbing an exhaust from scratch to make it all work. Had an X pipe that needed chopping up and adapting. 3 exhaust studs broke and had to be drilled out (welding to a nut did not work for the first time in my life), managed to get it centered and straight enough that original threads were cleaned out by a tap, no helicoiling required. Anyways, 2.5" exhaust the whole way back, true duals exiting on same side.

Migged with stainless steel wire.

Good practice for my LZ9 exhaust. First time utilizing a belt sander when fabbing an exhaust and it is honestly a must have. The cold cut chop saw was nice too.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jdv

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2023 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jdvSend a Private Message to jdvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We need a sound clip. That thing looks like it sounds wicked.
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2023 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ask and ye shall receive

It sounds incredible but it is quite loud, going to be welding some resonators into it to help tame the sound a little bit.

[This message has been edited by zkhennings (edited 02-01-2023).]

zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2023 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got around to welding in some straight through Flowmaster FXs. I welded the rear tubes to the X pipe where before there was an annoying slip joint. After the mufflers I put in V-bands to easily be able to remove the rear exhaust to work on the rear end of the car easily. I also tucked the exhaust a little higher, slash cut the tips, and got some nice hangers from Summit that bolt together instead of the nightmare that is standard rubber hangers. The mufflers justtttt fit around the diff and inside the gas tank, they are positioned slightly different from each other to compensate for differences in the diff side to side. I need to grab more pics of it, but now it sounds perfect, it is not quiet, but it is nowhere near deafening. We did a cold start indoors once it was finished and normally it is so loud you instinctively have to cover your ears, but now it is not painful at all. All the bass is still there while the sound of dropping a huge sheet of 1/4 steel on a concrete floor repeatedly is gone.

Originally:

After (but pre- Vbands and hangers):

[This message has been edited by zkhennings (edited 04-11-2023).]

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2023 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice work- I have a welder-friend who took metallurgy classes, so he knows what is happening while he is welding- spent a whole day shortening my boat trailer and would NOT let me pay him.

I got him a copy of "Muscle Car Chronicle" (very nicely done book (hardback) with 10 pages for each year from 1960-1972 (Plus more) and gave it to him; "How much do I owe you?" he asked- and I told him "Take the dang book!"
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2023 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My buddy helps me out all the time with my projects too, he also helped me a ton with my bus (there's more than 1 page, weird site format) https://www.skoolie.net/for...ly-roller-38414.html

For "payment" he gave me the leftover 2.5" tubing from this project that I will be using on my LZ9 swap. Should be plenty!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock