Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Other Cars
  old schoolers..3 speed Saginaw 5 bolt front housing transmission.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
old schoolers..3 speed Saginaw 5 bolt front housing transmission. by maryjane
Started on: 04-25-2019 11:24 AM
Replies: 1 (290 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 04-29-2019 03:26 PM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2019 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A truck transmission from what I understand, but it isn't in a vehicle. (more on that later) I'm trying to get the U-joint hub/slipjoint off the back so I can change the rear seal and rear bearing..
Every one of these Sags I ever saw, the output shaft was externally splined and the driveshaft ujoint slipjoint hub just slipped over the shaft. Doesn't seem to be the case here. I originally thought the hub had been welded to the output shaft, but after a lot of dremel work, I still haven't seen any splines. Did GM make any of these Sags where the ujoint hub was integral to the transmission output shaft (cast with)??
Only transmission I ever saw where that was the case was an ol Studebaker and it was a rarity.

The one I'm working on looks like this one (except the front shaft on mine has been chopped off considerably, as it is being used to drive a redneck locker rearend, standing up vertically..)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2019 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Only transmission I ever saw where that was the case was an ol Studebaker...

Heh heh, ya gotta be an "old schooler" to be talking Studebakers.

Don, my only knowledge of Saginaw transmissions was that back in the day you definitely didn't want one in your hi-performance Chevy.

Sorry I can't be of more help. It was just nice to see a post of yours again. Hope you're doing well.
IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock