1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 by jaredaltizer
Started on: 05-31-2018 05:45 PM
Replies: 13 (641 views)
Last post by: hnthomps on 06-13-2018 10:18 AM
jaredaltizer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2018 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredaltizerSend a Private Message to jaredaltizerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got the "Barn Find" of the century for me. It is rather a "Carport Find" lol. I've been friends with this one guy for a few months and never knew he had a car because he is always taking the city bus around town. One day he told me his car was for sale - the 3000GT VR4 - and that he'd give me a good deal on it. He told me that the car had sat for about a year now, and that the transmission synchros need replacing, but other than that, the car was clean. So I bought it for $850.00. Eight Hundred and Fifty freaking dollars for a twin-turbo all-wheel drive car that is one of the japanese halo cars of the 90's? Hell yeah. Currently, the car is in great condition. The interior is pristine, no cracks in the leather at all, and no scent of cigarettes, so it was never a smoker's car. It has been owned by one other person before my friend, and every service and maintenance record was kept in a nice folder all in order in the glove box. It even has the original custom delivery papers from February of 1995! The exterior is in good condition, with only a few small paint chips on the hood and bumper that aren't even noticeable. Both the Active Aero rear spoiler and the Active Aero front bumper still work! I don't think I could be much happier considering people have been offering me $3k for it even with the transmission in its current condition. KBB value of my car with the 109k miles that it has and the excellent condition that its in is around $7-8k, but i've seen them go for more.

Anyways, has anyone on the forum had any experience with 3000GTs? It'd be nice to talk to a Fiero owner and see what they have to say about my new toy.

------------------
Manual '85 Fiero GT
Manual ‘86 4cyl (Parts Car)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2018 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey, I'd love to see what you got. Two years ago I was very close to buying one like pictured below. I have to admit I was eventually scared off by the tranny issues these cars reportedly have. Plus I felt it would be somewhat big and heavy for autocross... so I bought a '98 JDM Subaru Impreza STi instead.

But I still love the look of these cars!

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-01-2018 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will enjoy this...

I have driven thousands of miles in several Dodge Stealths back in the day. Not so much back road terrors. More like drag stars and comfortable and fast highway cruisers. Really cool cars to drive.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2018 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I helped a friend do a clutch and head gasket on his VR4. No. Fun. Be prepared for a battle - but as others noted it'll be a fun cruiser when it's done. Troy's car was seriously ugly in and out and doing all that work felt like a waste of time, but for a nice looking example I think it'd be worth it. The 3000GT was an oddity back in it's time - almost like a modern recreation of a '70s "personal luxury vehicle" - but definitely an experience worth having.
railshot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2018 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dang!!!!!!
I had a 1991 VR4 (yes, everyone knows they "officially" came out in 1992) in 1991.

The only car I wish I had never traded in or sold, ever.

This is one amazing car.
120 mph feels like 55 mph and the faster you go, the faster it wants to go, and you won't know it.

Congrats on the purchase.

In '94 they finally went away from the pop up headlights, and it made for a much more beautiful car in the end.
Last one I had was a '95 DOHC 3000GT, and it was almost as fun as the twin turbo.
I have also owned 2 Dodge Stealth RT's, same car with a bit of a twist.

My '95 was Danube Blue with a white interior...... sniff, sniff...... loved that color!
This is the only car I would give up my '88 Fiero GT for, and that is saying a lot right there.

Check out http://www.3si.org/ when you get a chance, lots of good info on the cars (3000GT and Stealths)
I am still a member there, but forgot my password..... I actually have a post as to how to change the clutch master cylinder without removing a bunch of stuff others said needed to be removed.

Love it to death!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2018 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by railshot:

In '94 they finally went away from the pop up headlights, and it made for a much more beautiful car in the end.

Different strokes for different folks. I much prefer the clean front styling of the earlier models.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2018 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaredaltizer:

It'd be nice to talk to a Fiero owner and see what they have to say about my new toy.

It's not nice to tease us. Let's see some pictures!

Mike Morris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2018 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MorrisSend a Private Message to Mike MorrisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had an early one(300HP not 320) and loved it. You are lucky. For a long long time you could not get trans parts for it. So many got put away like yours. Good luck with it. In decent air and in good shape with a hard launch they can run low 13s and trao about 104ish. And because they are a turbo AWD car mid to low 12s is easy with bolt ons. And they hood great on the street. Only drawback is the weight. Guy on LS tech has one built with stock bottom end and runs with C6Z06s on rolls.
jaredaltizer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2018 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredaltizerSend a Private Message to jaredaltizerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

It's not nice to tease us. Let's see some pictures!

Sorry, I totally forgot I made this post and haven't checked for replies before today.

The photos aren't top quality because they were transferred from my iPhone to my computer, but you get the point.

https://drive.google.com/op...Cbo29JBTlCWGYFwU3kIy

There is the Google Drive folder with 9 photos of the car.

------------------
Manual '85 Fiero GT
Manual ‘86 4cyl (Parts Car)

jaredaltizer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2018 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredaltizerSend a Private Message to jaredaltizerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jaredaltizer

122 posts
Member since Apr 2017

Hey, I'd love to see what you got. Two years ago I was very close to buying one like pictured below. I have to admit I was eventually scared off by the tranny issues these cars reportedly have. Plus I felt it would be somewhat big and heavy for autocross... so I bought a '98 JDM Subaru Impreza STi instead.

But I still love the look of these cars!

Sorry, took me forever to remember to check the forum for replies
I posted the link to a google drive folder with the images inside in a previous reply.
jaredaltizer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2018 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredaltizerSend a Private Message to jaredaltizerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jaredaltizer

122 posts
Member since Apr 2017

Different strokes for different folks. I much prefer the clean front styling of the earlier models.

I completely agree with you. Pop-up headlights are probably my favorite car trend and I am sad that they died out. Even though mine doesn't have the pop-ups, I could not refuse to own an all-wheel drive twin-turbo japanese halo car from the 90's that no one sees anymore. It's just like my Fiero in the ways that little kids see it and think its awesome, older people see it and get all nostalgic about it, and people my age like to have endless conversations about the cars.
PFF
System Bot
railshot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2018 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I completely agree with you. Pop-up headlights are probably my favorite car trend and I am sad that they died out. Even though mine doesn't have the pop-ups, I could not refuse to own an all-wheel drive twin-turbo japanese halo car from the 90's that no one sees anymore. It's just like my Fiero in the ways that little kids see it and think its awesome, older people see it and get all nostalgic about it, and people my age like to have endless conversations about the cars.

You did very well on this purchase.
I would love to have another VR4 (pop ups or not) someday, but still prefer the later years.

I am 65 and know what you mean about endless conversations, and the looks I get from some of the younger guys is priceless when they find out I actually owned and drove car x, y, or z.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2018 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1995 3000GT VR4 ...transmission synchros need replacing... I bought it for $850.00

Sweeeet!!! That's a lot of car for $850... with or without bad synchros and/or pop-up headlights.

Just how bad are the synchros? Perhaps you should read over the thread below. I had posted in it (copied below). but moved on when I instead went a different direction with the Subie. It would be great if possibly a different type of tranny fluid might be enough to alleviate the synchro issues with your VR4.

Originally posted by Patrick in This thread:

I've been interested in this thread from the very start as I have a Formula with the infamous "Getrag rattle".

However, I've now also got added interest in this topic as I'm currently on the fence making a decision on whether to buy an earlier model Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4... which came from the factory with 5-spd Getrags... and which often suffer from "tired" synchros.

I don't wish to send this thread off in a totally different direction (let's keep it Fiero oriented), but if anyone has any comments or advice on what oil might be helpful to use in the 3000GT Getrag tranny, please send me a PM. Thanks.

[EDIT] I decided against buying a 3000GT VR4 (bought a JDM Subie instead), so I no longer require insight on the Mitsubishi's Getrag tranny.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-10-2018).]

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2018 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dodge Stealth and a Mitsubishi 3000 GT, both with the VR4 engine once resided at my house (at separate times of course). Both belonged to my youngest son but I did much of the maintenance on them and he did the turbo upgrade on the 3000 GT. They were fun to drive with a manual transmission and all wheel drive and very comfortable even at high rates of speed. The engine compartment is very crowded and somewhat difficult to work in/on when maintenance was required.

The Stealth engine blew one morning at 3:00 AM when the son was doing drifting in the parking lot after finishing work. He sold that vehicle and then purchased a 3000 GT. That car lasted much longer than the Stealth even after he installed upgraded turbos and some alcohol injection capability so he had that one for several years until he deployed to Iraq and left the car with a friend on base. When he got back, he discovered that the engine had a knock, there was a dent in the side of the car where it had been hit by a Hummer, and the paint and interior was damaged due to blowing dust, high winds, and dessert sun so it eventually also departed.

The weak point for both vehicles appeared to be the engine. It generally worked fine until around 75,000 miles and was then subject to main bearing failures. That is what happened to the Stealth. Based on research, this was not an uncommon circumstance with the VR4 engine (especially if it was driven hard). The 3000 GT also needed a new/rebuilt engine after a year or two but that was an issue caused when his ECU shorted (I saw the burned and arced board) and the car lost RPM control and went into an over speed condition that tossed a rod through the block. $6000 worth of engine repair/replacement and it was working fine until it was left in Texas on base (with a friend who had a key) for 18 months during his deployment. His "friend" departed the Army shortly after my son returned to the US and I was never able to determine what he really did to the car to cause the knock.

My summary is that both vehicles were fun to drive, accelerated nicely, handled well for a heavy car, and had good braking capability with an unique looking body style. I would consider buying one again but would be prepared for engine work around 75,000 miles.

Nelson

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock