Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  High-Flowing V6 OEM-Style Air Cleaner Lid ...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
High-Flowing V6 OEM-Style Air Cleaner Lid ... by 82-T/A [At Work]
Started on: 05-08-2024 08:06 PM
Replies: 17 (252 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 05-14-2024 09:12 AM
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2024 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes... soo... I don't know how much higher flowing. I realize the Fiero doesn't really have a breathing problem from the factory side scoop (at least the stock 2.8 V6 doesn't according to several tests). But I ran across this air cleaner lid at the junkyard several years ago. For the life of me, I absolutely cannot remember what car it came from... it was like a Buick or some such.

Anyway, it is the identical size of the Fiero's V6 air cleaner canister (I remember test-fitting it). I don't have a V6 Fiero in front of me right now to see, but I'm almost 100% sure that the lid is exposing the inside of the air filter, which is where we want the air to come from.

I picked it up just in case as I thought it might be a kind of cool thing to use if someone wanted to install some sort of vacuum operated vent-area additional intake. You'd simply need a threaded dowel that was long enough (just a little more than an inch longer than the factory one). Obviously, I know there's hot air in there, but I'm assuming if someone were to use this, they'd likely have ceramic coated headers or header wrap, etc.

I'd imagine something like what I had in my 82 TransAm... you floor it, and with the increased vacuum coming from the engine, it flipped open a cowl flap allowing additional cooler air from the top of the air cleaner.

Posting here in case anyone finds it interesting...

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1985 Fiero GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2024 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1985 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Yes... soo... I don't know how much higher flowing. I realize the Fiero doesn't really have a breathing problem from the factory side scoop (at least the stock 2.8 V6 doesn't according to several tests). But I ran across this air cleaner lid at the junkyard several years ago. For the life of me, I absolutely cannot remember what car it came from... it was like a Buick or some such.

Anyway, it is the identical size of the Fiero's V6 air cleaner canister (I remember test-fitting it). I don't have a V6 Fiero in front of me right now to see, but I'm almost 100% sure that the lid is exposing the inside of the air filter, which is where we want the air to come from.

I picked it up just in case as I thought it might be a kind of cool thing to use if someone wanted to install some sort of vacuum operated vent-area additional intake. You'd simply need a threaded dowel that was long enough (just a little more than an inch longer than the factory one). Obviously, I know there's hot air in there, but I'm assuming if someone were to use this, they'd likely have ceramic coated headers or header wrap, etc.

I'd imagine something like what I had in my 82 TransAm... you floor it, and with the increased vacuum coming from the engine, it flipped open a cowl flap allowing additional cooler air from the top of the air cleaner.

Cool, one thing though, I think it would be closed with vacuum, open with less vacuum, as when you floor it, manifold pressure gets closer to ambient and vacuum forms when the throttle closes.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2024 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've copied the entire post by Todd just to demonstrate how unnecessary it is to copy the entire post simply to respond. Do we really need to see everything that was originally posted, including the images?

1985 Fiero GT, I'm not trying to pick on you, but this thread just happens to be a blatant example of what we're unfortunately witnessing here on a more regular basis. I suspect it has to do with more and more people accessing the forum through their phones... but whatever the reason, it's detrimental to the forum experience, having to scroll through numerous copied and re-posted text and images that serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever.

In regards to the air filter canister lid (which we get to see three times now), the only way I envision that it could be even minimally useful in a Fiero application (perhaps one with a swapped engine that needs more air) is if cool air from outside the engine bay was ducted to the opening in that lid.
1985 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2024 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1985 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

1985 Fiero GT, I'm not trying to pick on you, but this thread just happens to be a blatant example of what we're unfortunately witnessing here on a more regular basis. I suspect it has to do with more and more people accessing the forum through their phones... but whatever the reason, it's detrimental to the forum experience, having to scroll through numerous copied and re-posted text and images that serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever.

Sorry about that, never thought about that, you're likely right about it being from phones though, exactly what I'm using now!
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2024 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1985 Fiero GT:
Cool, one thing though, I think it would be closed with vacuum, open with less vacuum, as when you floor it, manifold pressure gets closer to ambient and vacuum forms when the throttle closes.

You know, I honestly don't remember now. I'm not going to argue with you... I was a software engineer before I became a person that sends e-mails all day, so you're probably right. But I seem to recall in my 82 TransAm that the flap was closed when parked... intentionally because it would prevent rain from getting in (it was basically a conduit directly into the air cleaner, with a small run-off for rain). When you'd floor it, it would open up. But my 81 TransAm, which had a shaker hood, that actually had an electronically controlled solenoid. But that **** never ran so I couldn't tell you... hahaha... I think there was a momentary switch on the carburetor that engaged along with the secondaries.

Originally posted by Patrick:I've copied the entire post by Todd just to demonstrate how unnecessary it is to copy the entire post simply to respond. Do we really need to see everything that was originally posted, including the images?

In regards to the air filter canister lid (which we get to see three times now), the only way I envision that it could be even minimally useful in a Fiero application (perhaps one with a swapped engine that needs more air) is if cool air from outside the engine bay was ducted to the opening in that lid.

Hahah Patrick, I don't mean to be mean... but I've learned personally the old adage that when people get older, the stop caring what people think and start speaking their mind more often... or just doing whatever the hell they want. I remember the last time I was with my dad in Washington D.C., and he started opening the emergency exit doors to walk between the subway cars. This might be something people do in NYC... but damn that is like... you do NOT do that in the D.C. Subway. That's grounds for arrest. My dad couldn't have given a damn. People were looking at him, and he just swore in Dutch and made his way past people on the subway into the other car... and there were gasps. I was like... **** dad... (and just followed him), hahah.

So yes... I was going to make a joke about how you're old because you're doing this from a PC... but I am too. I can't stand using mobile devices. Meanwhile my daughter would rather watch a movie on her iPhone with earpods (or whatever they're called), than our 80" 4K TV in the family room.

But yeah, it would obviously need to be cool air, which if you're driving probably wouldn't be too bad. I'd love to figure out what the temperature is of the air passing through the decklid vents at speed. Worthless for a 2.8, but if you were trying to keep a stock look, and had something on top that looked relatively stock to allow a little bit of extra air in... I'd be interested to know if it does anything, or if it's still bottlenecked even by a larger throttle body (assuming DAWG mod and everything else, on a 3.4).

It would likely end up being one of those $500 for 1 hp kind of solutions.
1985 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2024 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1985 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You know, I honestly don't remember now. I'm not going to argue with you... I was a software engineer before I became a person that sends e-mails all day, so you're probably right. But I seem to recall in my 82 TransAm that the flap was closed when parked... intentionally because it would prevent rain from getting in (it was basically a conduit directly into the air cleaner, with a small run-off for rain). When you'd floor it, it would open up.

Yes that's how it is, you just got confused on when there is vacuum (throttle closed) and when there is none (floored) so it might have some spring trying to open it, and a vacuum diaphragm fighting the spring to keep it closed, when there's vacuum, it's closed, when there's no vacuum, it's open. Probably with some work around for when the car is off, and there is no vacuum being generated to keep it shut.

I shortened the quote just for you Patrick
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2024 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1985 Fiero GT:

I shortened the quote just for you Patrick

Excellent!

jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2024 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's not a high flowing Air cleaner cover, it's from a FWD application that has a hood intake design. 89-94 Cavalier Z24's have a lid with the center completely open. This style is no benefit to a Fiero, probably a detriment as it would certainly suck in that baking hot air in the engine bay.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2024 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jelly2m8:

It's not a high flowing Air cleaner cover, it's from a FWD application that has a hood intake design. 89-94 Cavalier Z24's have a lid with the center completely open. This style is no benefit to a Fiero, probably a detriment as it would certainly suck in that baking hot air in the engine bay.

Shoot, you just looked at the pictures and the title didn't you, haha...

I said if you can get past the hot air (fabricate something) and use it with the stock air canister (for which it fits), you could get air coming from both the top and the bottom of the filter canister.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2024 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If wanted "more air" w/ OE Fiero V6 air cleaner... RD make/made a mod kit to open up the section holding the cover bolt. I doubt actually helps w/ OE & most swap engines.

Originally posted by jelly2m8:
Worse, let all kind of crap dropping into the filter from air vent above it. IF still have Fiero box bottom etc. then might plug that in time from crap from above.

Many fools rip out the wall in the separator box to "get more air" only causes problems including destroy V6 air filter driving on wet roads.
see https://www.fiero.nl/forum/.../HTML/144683.html#p3 How intake air muffler works...

Most Air filters Hate getting wet & polluted water close the "pores" & stay close after drying. Even a new clean filter will restrict air flow after getting wet.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2024 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32308 posts
Member since Mar 99

Originally posted by Patrick:
I've copied the entire post by Todd just to demonstrate how unnecessary it is to copy the entire post simply to respond. Do we really need to see everything that was originally posted, including the images?
I sometime quoted w/ Pic's but often to add thumb to {img} tag so = {img thumb} so pic's have a thumb nail & pic in case quote post is edited.

Also Just adding Thumb means PFF will have the small copy of image from any other site because some still use imageshack etc or use pic @ amazon etc that can & have deleted/move a pic then have Red X problem here.
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2024 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unless you are converted to a mass air system these changes amount to little. The factory closed loop really does not adjust yo more air or colder air.

Also the air coming in is pretty cool and that is why the intake is in a cooler part of the car on the side.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2024 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To everyone:

1 - I know a factory 2.8 Fiero will not see any benefit.
2 - I also know the air under the decklid is hot
3 - Thank you
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2024 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

To everyone:

1 - I know a factory 2.8 Fiero will not see any benefit.
2 - I also know the air under the decklid is hot
3 - Thank you

I said if you can get past the hot air (fabricate something) and use it with the stock air canister (for which it fits), you could get air coming from both the top and the bottom of the filter canister.

Forgive my woefully lacking engineering prowess but ... I see things which I question.

Would you use a set of headers of which one side had a larger diameter ? Or say a pump with different sized fluid suction lines ?

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2024 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Forgive my woefully lacking engineering prowess but ... I see things which I question.

Would you use a set of headers of which one side had a larger diameter ? Or say a pump with different sized fluid suction lines ?

Guys... if you were running a bored and stroked 3.4 w/ 3.5 liters of displacement, a bored throttle body, and a DAWG mod and a larger intake tube... you absolutely could make use of the additional air. I'm not saying anyone should do this, I'm literally just saying this was something I found in the junkyard, and thought it was cool, and it was $2 bucks, and it fits the stock air canister. Maybe someone could do something with this if you wanted to make custom. I'm not understanding your analogy. I feel like you guys are all acting like this...

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 05-12-2024).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2024 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not understanding your analogy.

Let me try this one. Although it may make less sense.

An out door spigot, with a "Y" enabling two hoses. One half inch, the other 3/4. Which one would the flow fill the same bucket first. Which one produces more pressure ?

My thoughts likely don't matter. However, the air flow designed to enrich the air/fuel mixture correctly, should be considered when adapting air intake or exhaust amounts.

My mind wanders about all things before I make a decision.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2024 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35996 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Guys... if you were running a bored and stroked 3.4 w/ 3.5 liters of displacement, a bored throttle body, and a DAWG mod and a larger intake tube... you absolutely could make use of the additional air.

My lack of engineering prowess would make me wonder if using a larger exhaust system or headers, might create a need for more intake volume.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2024 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

My lack of engineering prowess would make me wonder if using a larger exhaust system or headers, might create a need for more intake volume.

Hah, I think you're trolling me now...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock