200 AMP alternator by DRMII5388
Started on: 05-06-2024 09:09 AM
Replies: 5 (131 views)
Last post by: theogre on 05-10-2024 10:50 AM
DRMII5388

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2024 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DRMII5388Send a Private Message to DRMII5388Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What should happen or know when I INSTALL A 200 AMP alternator on my 88 v6?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2024 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there a reason that you need that much charging capacity?
Big amps on the stereo, high output driving lights?

There is no gain with a high output alternator if you don't need it.
And there are drawbacks as well.
DRMII5388

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2024 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DRMII5388Send a Private Message to DRMII5388Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, I live in the desert so with full time radiator fan, AC, radio, electric windows, old style head lights that flexuate brightness, alternators that last less than 10,000 miles and hop for longer lasting. DR
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2024 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before yo do the alternator, you might consider upgrading your cooling fan on the radiator.
The old fan is an amp hog, noisy, and doesn't move as much air as a modern design fan.
The modern 14" fans can be installed in the Fiero radiator shroud very easily.

Anything you can do to reduce the load on the alternator is money well spent!
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2024 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I doubt you need an alternator that big. It won't hurt anything but it will most likely be over kill. When I rebuilt my V6, I did a 150amp cs alternator. Never had a problem running AC, lights, and a big radio st the same time.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2024 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DRMII5388:
Hi, I live in the desert so with full time radiator fan, AC, radio, electric windows, old style head lights that flexuate fluctuate brightness, alternators that last less than 10,000 miles and hop for longer lasting. DR
Headlights "dim" "blink" etc often = have Ground & other Wiring Problems.

see https://web.archive.org/web...ierocave/ecmwire.htm & rest of section

88 V6 already use CS130 alt that is available 105 peak amps from GM & most parts stores since.
Dead Alt's often cause by crappy wires too. Or replace w/ parts from Ebay, Amazon etc that suck. Buy a good one from AZ or related that track warranty by phone # so when lose receipt still have the warranty.

⚠️ More amps beyond 105 from CS130 often mean some vendor have "tricks" added to the alt & many times won't fit in given space. Even "Iceberg" cases w/ just added fins on the back often won't fit many cars not just Fiero.

Since is a V6, check for Exhaust leaks that make the bay hotter or worse blow on the alt.

Also this "body kit" may have reduce air flow thru the bay making heat problems.
Factory bodies & the vents pull heat out of the bay while driving. see https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/141784.html Fiero Engine bay vs Heat.
Many Body Mod's/kits cause problem w/ air flow in the bay & more.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock