Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  I have a new found appreciation for this Fiero feature…

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
I have a new found appreciation for this Fiero feature… by Kitskaboodle
Started on: 04-22-2024 10:24 PM
Replies: 9 (206 views)
Last post by: Kitskaboodle on 04-24-2024 11:23 AM
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2024 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What feature am I referring to? Accessibility!
Besides my love of Fiero’s, I do like some other cars and so I’m often on YouTube looking and learning about other cars I would like to have. (but will probably never own cause I have too many cars already) 🙁
Anyways, I have always loved tiny cars. (micro cars, “minimal motoring” so to speak) This being said, I have always liked the Smart Car. Ok, stop laughing! 🙁 I like the concept of it, especially as a commuter car but alas, mechanically, electrically & user serviceability it’s a major disaster. I have seen many videos on YouTube about its transmission shifting issues, electrical problems, high part prices, short engine life, etc. but what stood out to me is that the designers obviously were not concerned about owner DIY
serviceability. Just to change out the alternator or starter, many drop the whole subframe to gain better access to the packaging nightmare”.
Another example is the retro Fiat 500. There was a guy on YouTube that replaced the alternator and it took him a good 4 1/2 to 5 hours to do it.
The more I see horrible replacement jobs like this, the more I appreciate that the Fiero design crew tried and succeeded (and advertised) that the Fiero would be an owners car that anyone could maintain. (take care of it themselves) Proof that they really meant what they said is the instrument pod cover.
How many cars were/are designed to make it easy for you to work on? (and advertised as such) The Fiero is the only one I know of.
Kit
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2024 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is more a GM thing vs Fiero.

Most GM cars are not bad to work on and parts are cheap.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2024 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

How many cars were/are designed to make it easy for you to work on? (and advertised as such) The Fiero is the only one I know of.

Kit, you've obviously never swapped out the alternator on an '85-'87 2.8 automatic Fiero.
Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2024 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On the contrar Pierre! You are not correct my fine feathered friend. (actually, whether you have feathers I would not know as we have never met) Both my cars are autos. In fact, I’ve done this job probably about 4 times now. I even have it down to 3 hours, so there! 😊
Hey, at least I didn’t have to drop the cradle to do it. And, I was smart about the whole process.Both cars have 88 specified CS130 alternators and I always buy brand new, high quality alternators.
Kit

[This message has been edited by Kitskaboodle (edited 04-22-2024).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2024 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Both my cars are autos.

I won't hold that against you.

I’m fact, I’ve done this job probably about 4 times now. I even have it down to 3 hours, so there! 😊

You sir, are a glutton for punishment.
Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2024 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On the contrar Pierre! Both my cars are autos. I’m fact, I’ve done this job probably about 4 times now. I even have it down to 3 hours, so there! 😊
Hey, at least I didn’t have to drop the cradle to do it. And, I was smart about the whole thing. Both cars have 88 specified CS130 alternators and I always buy brand new, high quality alternators.
Kit
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2024 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

On the contrar Pierre! You are not correct my fine feathered friend. (actually, whether you have feathers I would not know as we have never met) Both my cars are autos. In fact, I’ve done this job probably about 4 times now. I even have it down to 3 hours, so there! 😊
Hey, at least I didn’t have to drop the cradle to do it. And, I was smart about the whole process.Both cars have 88 specified CS130 alternators and I always buy brand new, high quality alternators.
Kit

Kit,

3 hours? O.K. I'll bite. How did you do it? What are your steps? Inquiring minds want to know!

Seriously, can you post your steps for those of us that haven't had to replace an alternator on a 2.8L V6? I can see where it would be a real plus for everyone.

Mike
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2024 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike in Sydney:

Seriously, can you post your steps for those of us that haven't had to replace an alternator on a 2.8L V6?

Mike, you left off two critical details... automatic transmission and '85-'87.
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2024 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Mike,

I don't have an automatic transmission; however, I sent you my 1988 V6 Generator/Alternator steps in a PM.
Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2024 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do have a big tip that helps quite a bit. It’s been a while now but I remember that if you remove the alternator bracket first, then remove the alternator, then place the new alternator back into position and let it rest on the cradle just below the alternator mount (where the long bolt goes through the top of the alternator) then re-install the alternator aluminum bracket, then bolt up the alternator to the top mount with the long bolt. Everything else is the normal process. (unhooking battery positive, take passenger wheel off, removing tie rod end with a ball joint separator, not a pickle fork, etc. As for the splash guard, I don’t think you have to remove it. My cars dont have them anyways.
Oh, and please don’t make the mistake of not re-installing the heat shield. It took me a while to figure out that running without it causes the alternator to die an early death.
A few more tidbits: Always install a brand new, high quality alternator, be aware you might have to swap grooved pulleys between the new one and old one, your re-install of the new one will be easier if you upgrade to the CS130 alternator, which is about maybe 20-30% smaller and is electronically better. Just order for an 88 GT and you’ll get the right one. You’ll have to splice in a new connector but that’s easy. Just refer to the Wombat write up.
Kit

[This message has been edited by Kitskaboodle (edited 04-24-2024).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock