Started on: 04-20-2024 06:39 PM
Replies: 2 (131 views)
Last post by: hyperv6 on 04-22-2024 07:16 PM
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2024 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From the opening remark about not making a car that would beat the Crapvette.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 04-20-2024).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2024 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, great video, thanks for sharing it. Loved hearing every story.
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2024 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been learning much on C5 Corvette history. I have been amazed at how much I have learned about the Fiero on that side.

The harsh truth was GM failed to manage their divisions and make them work together vs against each other and it went on for years.

Many forget or never knew Pontiac was the original division set to close not Olds. The loss of the RWD Cutlass and the success of the Grand Am changed that. The Fiero and Trans Am also helped bring attention to Pontiac and sell the Grand Am.

The truth is GM was in worst shape than many either know or would admit.

The reality that GM was willing to kill the Corvette is clear how tough things were as in 1993 they were told to stop work on the C5.
This led to the Corvette team moving the program to an outside engineering firm to hide the car. Sounds familiar?

The continued to build the car till they had running prototypes and once driven they saw the car was that good they had to approve it.
Even then they really had yo shame the powers to be on just what the Corvette meant and it place in American history. It was not just a car but an Icon that few cars achieve.

Add to this there were a number of Fiero staff that worked on this car. The two most prominent were John Cafaro and Jon Albert who designed the outside and interior of the car.

Many of the body parts are similar in how they were hung and attached. The dash also used a design similar to what Pontiac was working on.

But the reality was the Corvette was saved by some extreme measures and it is not likely the Fieto had it got past 1988 would have lasted long. I even had a former Fiero program engineer tell me the same. He even pointed out that most two seat cars live 10 years or less. The Miata and Corvette are two of the few exceptions.

I also have two books that outline the mid engine V6 concept was burn of the GM tech center originally as a Corvette proposal. It was rejected and later when Hulki was looking for a way to lower the cowl was offered the concept that the tech center used.

I even have a photo of the concept and it is similar to the fast back GT.

The reality of the Fiero is there are truth and lies on both sides. Also there is two perspectives. I am finding the truth is right in the middle.
I even hear things the Fiero people either have said and contradicted in the past. Age I expect plays a big part and also sone stick to the narrative.

One point is the Fiero name. It was claimed to have been found at a late night meeting in an Italian Dictionary.

Funny that it just happened to be that Pontiac just happen to own the rights to that name because they had used it in the late
60’s on a FI rebird aERO. Concept called the Firebird Fiero. Coincidence? I think not. But a good marketing line.

There was a lot of passion and a lot if hurt feelings not just the Fiero but the C5. The is a book called All Corvettes Are Red. It should be a must read for Fiero owners. It puts into context post Fiero GM and how tough things were. Also I think you will agree after reading they learned much from the Fiero and they saved the C5 using the same tactics used to get the Fiero to market. They just never went Econo car but bundling snd hiding the car from GM says much of the damaged culture.

We still need to get a book out to get the truth or facts out on our car and document for the gutter what really went on and happened.

While the Corvette people get the blame on the Fiero death it was more the damaged culture inside GM that failed to manage all the divisions as one company.

Getting these videos are great and most are accurate or close but we also need to look outside out Firo bubble and you will find more to the story.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock