how many pages are in a haynes manual? by F Craigg
Started on: 04-08-2024 11:48 AM
Replies: 11 (141 views)
Last post by: theogre on 04-10-2024 05:23 PM
F Craigg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2024 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F CraiggClick Here to visit F Craigg's HomePageSend a Private Message to F CraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found a copy of a digital Hanes manual that may be missing pages. I was wondering if anyone had the Number of pages ? I'm at 259 pages including cover and exterior, its an 84-88 manual.

------------------
Finn Craigg
-----------------------
Proud owner of Starr,
"Do you like 4 cyl?"

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2024 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://fieroinfo.com/manuals/

This link includes the GM Service and Aftermarket Manuals

[This message has been edited by Vintage-Nut (edited 04-09-2024).]

F Craigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2024 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F CraiggClick Here to visit F Craigg's HomePageSend a Private Message to F CraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vintage-Nut:

https://fieroinfo.com/manuals/

Thanks Vintage,
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2024 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are a few different versions- early on, it was very complete but did not have the 88 suspension and brake info...later, they (Sort of) added that info, but then removed a bunch of electrical schematics.....I have what appears to be an 1989 and a 99 version....The 89 one is the best- has basically everything- but it is still missing a few 88 suspension bits of info....The 99 version is missing MOST of the schematics. They do not have page numbers so I can't tell you how many either has.

Print out the suspension/brakes/subframe torque specs from here; https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum9/HTML/000048.html
richard in nc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2024 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for richard in ncSend a Private Message to richard in ncEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thats the same problem i had with my ford aerostar.they redesigned the areostar half way through and the newer books deleted stuff for the earlier vans.i was lucky to find the early version on ebay.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2024 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haynes "repair" books are Garbage. Do Not Trust any of them. Complete Useless 87-88 Fiero w/ 4 cyl as ignores DIS, 700 Series TBI & more.
Chilton is not much better even tho consumer books are a subset of bigger books publish for 3rd party repair shops. Example: To bypass © rewrote electrical diagrams including own symbology. Worse most diagrams combine many things making very hard to impossible to trace a wire.

GM FSM are made for Dealer Service Dept & even they have problems because Editors Copy/Past pages to whole sections & never bothered to see if correct for X model.
Example: 84-86 Fiero FSM has wrong images & more in rear brake section. Only fix in 87 FSM.

Alldatadiy.com is subset of Alldata.com that made CD/DVD for decades for 3rd party repair shops. Most info is GM et al License Direct Copies of FSM including TSB that have other info or some changes/updates to FSM.

Many problems w/ Fiero are here... https://web.archive.org/web...cast.net/~fierocave/

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2024 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

GM FSM are made for Dealer Service Dept & even they have problems because Editors Copy/Past pages to whole sections & never bothered to see if correct for X model.

The lazy bastards!

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2024 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My personal opinion, both the Haynes manual, as well as the factory service manual, are important.

If someone is new to working on cars, and is experiencing almost everything for the first time, the Haynes manual is a superior manual to use. It gives step by step instructions for performing the vast majority of the mechanical work needed to get certain things done. It provides lots of pictures, and even gives tips and tricks to help you get things done in a more DIY perspective.

The factory service manual on the other hand, is very technical, and glosses over a lot of stuff that's assumed you already know. And rightly so because most of the people using these manuals are going to be shop mechanics. To the point that when it covers things like rebuilding an engine, it very often doesn't even use a Fiero engine in the diagrams. Like, my 1985 Fiero service manual has specifications for like a half-dozen engines... only two of which are actually in the car. When you're looking up things like ring gap or tolerances, it puts an entire chart of GM engines where most of them have nothing to do with the Fiero. So... there's a LOT of re-use when it comes to GM service manuals. They tend to copy/paste things from one car to the next. It's still an excellent manual.

My recommendation is to use the Haynes repair manual a lot for most of the day to day things... like replacing brakes, doing suspension work, etc. And use the service manual for things like verifying torque specifications, or when you intend to do something more precise like an engine rebuild, or need a wiring schematic.
F Craigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2024 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F CraiggClick Here to visit F Craigg's HomePageSend a Private Message to F CraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for your opinions and experience, I'm looking into what manual would be the best for 84-85. It seems that the Factory Service manual for an 84 or 85 is my best bet. From what I'm reading a Chilton is more accurate than the Haynes books, and Haynes got inaccurate pictures.

I'll be looking into getting my hands on some of these books soon, thanks for all y'all's experience.

------------------
Finn Craigg
-----------------------
Proud owner of Starr,
"Do you like 4 cyl?"

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2024 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by F Craigg:

Thanks for your opinions and experience, I'm looking into what manual would be the best for 84-85. It seems that the Factory Service manual for an 84 or 85 is my best bet. From what I'm reading a Chilton is more accurate than the Haynes books, and Haynes got inaccurate pictures.

I'll be looking into getting my hands on some of these books soon, thanks for all y'all's experience.

PDF manuals and more https://fieroinfo.com/
richard in nc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2024 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for richard in ncSend a Private Message to richard in ncEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by F Craigg:

i agree.plus the factory service manuals pages always feel like they are about to tear.i have the chiltons book.its great for quick info.
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2024 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
biggest problem w/ Haynes is that often have a pic or diagram for X thing & never tell the reader what year & more.
It matter because many think right way to fix then find out doesn't apply to your year or trim level.

Just for 4 cyl Fiero...
While Duke QRG in my cave covers many issues even that doesn't have everything.
84 has way more things different then wiring issues vs 85 or 86. Like 84 has Throttle cable can't use 85-86 TBI. 86 has V5 AC "pump" like 87-88 but Haynes ignore that too & have different rules to charge the system.
87 & 88 are way different then all three & some points different from each other too but can switch whole engine & many do because 88 balancer fails trashing the motor.

Even 84 apparently has Factory Install Roller Cam engine as part of Indy Trim Level.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock