Newbie owner from UK by Darren C
Started on: 03-09-2024 12:45 PM
Replies: 16 (237 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 03-15-2024 03:21 AM
Darren C

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2024 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darren CSend a Private Message to Darren CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to say hi from the U.K.

I got my 87 GT about a year ago now & have been fixing it up to get it back on the road after being parked up for many years by the previous owner.
As a kid I lived in the US and my 1st car was a Pontiac, a Firebird (V6 - yeah I know don’t judge me...) But I always wanted a Fiero. It’s taken me 40 yrs to get one!
I served in the military for 18yrs with several tours with USN & USCG and moved back to UK in 97
Fiero's are a pretty rare car here in UK so finding one was tough & a GT even harder.

What is really cool is that I bought the car blind off of eBay in North Scotland (I live on the Southcoast, so its as far away as it gets) & when I got the title from the UK DMV there was a statement printed on the front that the car had an import tax exemption due to it arriving over 20yrs ago in the UK via a US serviceman !
Crazy that a Serviceman shipped it across the pond all that time ago & now its in the ownership of a veteran.

Anyways, I thought I should say hi to everyone as a new member.

[This message has been edited by Darren C (edited 03-09-2024).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2024 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome on the Forum

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2024 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Welcome! I always look forward to posts from Fiero owners located in "the old country".
Frenchrafe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2024 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrenchrafeSend a Private Message to FrenchrafeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi there!
I'm just across the Channel from you.
Even though I run a much more powerfull engine in my Fiero now, I have worked quite a bit on the 2.8L.
And yes, the GT is the best Fiero to find! Glad you got one!
If you've got any questions, don't hesitate to ask...

Cheers,
Rafe

P.S. My Fiero was exactly the same colour scheme as yours when I got it.

------------------
"Turbo Slug" - '87 Fiero GT. 3800 turbo. - The fastest Fiero in France! @turboslugfiero
https://youtu.be/hUzOAeyWLfM

buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2024 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Frenchrafe:
And yes, the 85 GT is the best Fiero to find!

Fixed that for you.
Dukesterpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2024 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DukesterproSend a Private Message to DukesterproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

Fixed that for you.

I think you misspelled 86-87 GT :wink:
Dukesterpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2024 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DukesterproSend a Private Message to DukesterproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dukesterpro

360 posts
Member since Aug 2022
Welcome aboard!

No judgement on having a V6 car around these parts. V6s are a very praised motor in this neck of the woods

Keep us posted on your story, foreign Fieros always have interesting roadbumps.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2024 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome aboard!
Always good to see foreign owned cars.

Boomtastic put together everything you need for information overload.
https://www.boomtastic.com/files/

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2024 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has it Passed MOT recently?
MOT has some rule changes in past few years affecting everyone on top of issues w/ LEZ & ULEZ in London & other cities.
Quick Example: In around 2018 MOT will Fails w/ HID Headlamp "upgrades" now includes Failing most LED HL "upgrades" as well.

Even w/o the rule changes, Fiero Brakes can be hard to Pass because how MOT test them.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Darren C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2024 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darren CSend a Private Message to Darren CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the warm welcome folks!

I have had a weekly Fiero resto thread (Sunday updates) running this past year on Twitter X if anyone wants to see how I've got on. (classiccarguru1 on X or just google "classiccarguru1 Fiero" & then image tabs to see several hundred photos & videos for those not on Twitter X

Lots still to do on the car but most of the bodywork is done.

Currently in the process of making my own new GT tail lights as the ones I have are really badly beat up, delaminated & cracked plus not exactly easy to come by in the UK!

[This message has been edited by Darren C (edited 03-13-2024).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2024 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darren C:

...if anyone wants to see how I've got on. (classiccarguru1 on X or just google "classiccarguru1 Fiero" & then image tabs to see several hundred photos & videos for those not on Twitter X

Currently in the process of making my own new GT tail lights...

Using the Upload Media button, it's very easy to embed images in posts here... hint, hint. (The image size can be anything, just make sure the file size is below 2MB apiece.)

I've noticed you've posted videos on X. Do you also have your videos uploaded to YouTube? If you do, they could be embedded in your posts here as well.
PFF
System Bot
Darren C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2024 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darren CSend a Private Message to Darren CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Patrick,

I don't keep the photos or videos I post on Twitter X, they are deleted straight after, so as not to use all the memory up on my phone.
That's why I haven't put any of the 500 or more pictures & 50+ videos of the last years work on the Fiero on here, I simply don't have them anymore.
I do have a youtube channel but the content I film, edit & produce, I like to think is more professional & better quality than the "throwaway" social media content.
Stuff tends to be there forever on youtube, so I don't like the idea of doing something "half cocked" so spend weeks & weeks on making any video for my youtube channel as quality matters to me & folks are very quick to judge & troll you if your stuff isn't good. Plus I don't want to add to all the junk on there already!
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2024 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Currently in the process of making my own new GT tail lights as the ones I have are really badly beat up, delaminated & cracked plus not exactly easy to come by in the UK!
Making Taillights & other external fixtures may Fail MOT depending just how you do this.

All Taillights have ECE/DOT/SAE "codes" that easy to find & are standard worldwide by SAE. The problem is many DIY & some aftermarket lights have problems to start & don't have the codes Including replacement taillight "covers" for GT & most to all reproduction light fixtures sold by Fiero Store.
Some use OE lights for other vehicles that maybe legal or not but has the code(s) so many inspectors don't bother unless has other problems, too bright/dim etc.
Some use "Truck" lights with "codes" on the part & can/should be "legal" in most places. In this case, can also get Legal LEDs because made tested & "coded" to meet laws/rules from most "Western" Govrmnts. Example: 4in/102mm round format fixture is very common to big trucks but have many other formats that have standard or LED as drop-in parts. The LEDs are factory sealed & replace the whole fixture vs many w/ standard bulbs can replace just the bulb when dead.

See https://web.archive.org/web...~fierocave/lamps.htm @ bottom for code examples.
and https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/146377.html
Note: the Reflectors are coded too whether separate or combined w/ lights.
Darren C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2024 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darren CSend a Private Message to Darren CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the concern

Just so you guys know, I am in the business of hand building cars from a pencil sketch to getting them road legal. I design & make pretty much every part of a vehicle by hand (chassis, suspension,body, interior inc seats, dash, instruments, wiring looms etc, etc. I mean every part!)
been doing this since I was 14 yrs old & have built over 100 cars and they are in private collections all over the world. Even had two of my creations on Jay Leno's Garage & another came 1st at Pikes Peak last year driven by Tanner Foust
Making vehicle lights is something I do regularly so I know all about DOT & EU marks

These markings wont fail you an MOT for an existing registered vehicle here in UK (as long as they function correctly) but will fail an IVA which is what you require to register a new build (like a DMV inspection - & yes done those in the US so I know which states are the easiest ones!)

Don't worry on my home made GT taillights, I'm not selling them, just making a set for my own use.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2024 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Don't worry on my home made GT taillights, I'm not selling them, just making a set for my own use.

You've got to at least post some photos here of those when you're done!

Darren C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2024 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darren CSend a Private Message to Darren CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will do Patrick,

But for now, this is what came on my car

You can see the problem....

I'll start a separate thread with some pictures of what I've made when I'm done.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2024 03:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yep, those are lookin' rather grim indeed. It'll be great to see what you come up with!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock