Engine Swaps....Least to Most Difficult by labbe001
Started on: 03-05-2024 01:40 PM
Replies: 15 (305 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 03-08-2024 05:07 PM
labbe001

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2024 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi All
I've read a number of posts and info over the years on different engine swaps. I've only ever done a 3.4L pushrod as it's the least difficult of them.....nearly a direct swap with a few differences.
I've always been intimidated to do anything more as I always assumed the other swaps to be difficult. I'd like to get some feedback from you engine swap guys on least to most difficult as it relates to engine swaps. I would assume the 3.4L pushrod being the least. Thanks so much.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Frenchrafe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2024 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrenchrafeSend a Private Message to FrenchrafeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3800 S2.
Bolts up directly to the gearbox, so 2 of the 3 lower engine mounts are "reusable" (make new ones with tougher materiels). And helps for positionning the engine while working out the 3rd engine mount.
Doesn't need engine cover notching. (I hate cutting into my Fiero!)
Will need a custom exhaust.

I wouldn't say it was easy, but it wasn't all that hard either...?!

------------------
"Turbo Slug" - '87 Fiero GT. 3800 turbo. - The fastest Fiero in France! @turboslugfiero
https://youtu.be/hUzOAeyWLfM

labbe001

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2024 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Frenchrafe:

3800 S2.
Bolts up directly to the gearbox, so 2 of the 3 lower engine mounts are "reusable" (make new ones with tougher materiels). And helps for positionning the engine while working out the 3rd engine mount.
Doesn't need engine cover notching. (I hate cutting into my Fiero!)
Will need a custom exhaust.

I wouldn't say it was easy, but it wasn't all that hard either...?!

What about the electrical aspect and the ECM wiring?
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2024 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Easy, you just have me build the harness!
Additivewalnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2024 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AdditivewalnutSend a Private Message to AdditivewalnutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3800 has become the easiest as 3.4 pushrods motors are becoming few and far between. Get a plug and play harness from one of the guys here. There are a couple guys on facebook that do custom 3800 exhaust work. Talk to Fierorog on facebook for mounts, flywheel, any relocation brackets you may need. It's a lot of info and frankly scared me, but if you take it one step at a time, it works out. Very worth it too. Nothing like hearing a supercharger ripping behind you.
Additivewalnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2024 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AdditivewalnutSend a Private Message to AdditivewalnutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Additivewalnut

237 posts
Member since Jan 2020

This parts list was invaluable to me
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2024 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

labbe001:
I've always been intimidated to do anything more as I always assumed the other swaps to be difficult.

I guess Alabama's Engine Swap Rules/Laws presents fewer difficulties than my state.....

To me, I've always been 'intimidated' to modify a vehicle in California as it's complicated and it's way easier by keeping the engine 'stock'.

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2024 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
By far the easiest engine swap is the 3.4 F-body long-block swap...it uses all the engine control system from the 2.8....the only mods needed are drilling and threading holes for starter and also changing the front cover and (I can't reNember) possibly the oil pan.

Although it only gains you 20 hp, it also gains 30 Lb/Ft of torque- but all of this happens at a lower RPM range which is like swapping in a better rear-end gears...

My 0-60 went from 7.5 down to 6.5, and 1/4 went from 15.5 down to 14.8 seconds.

What I like is that it looks stock- the Fiero 2.8 was a good-looking engine....and if you burn someone down, and then stop to check out the cars, they always ask, 'Did you swap in a V8?!" and I open the lid, then smile and (Innocently) state "Nope- Stock Fiero engine- the magazines always under-estimated the performance...."

I also ported the intake a bit- testing going up-hill on a freeway (Sunday morning w/no traffic) and went from barely 4500 in 4th (Stock intake) to 4700+ with the modified intake....

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 03-06-2024).]

labbe001

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2024 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So with a wiring harness, is the stock Fiero ECM used with the 3800? If so, does it need reprogramming….or do you have to get an ECM from a doner car?
Frenchrafe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2024 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrenchrafeSend a Private Message to FrenchrafeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, you need the PCM / ECM of the 3800.
Checkout Sinister Performance for all the info and any reprogramming to the PCM:

http://www.gmtuners.com/

------------------
"Turbo Slug" - '87 Fiero GT. 3800 turbo. - The fastest Fiero in France! @turboslugfiero
https://youtu.be/hUzOAeyWLfM

cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2024 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by labbe001:

So with a wiring harness, is the stock Fiero ECM used with the 3800? If so, does it need reprogramming….or do you have to get an ECM from a doner car?

It would be wise to do some research on the topic- as it has been covered many, many times. There is also a good Facebook page specifically dealing with 3800 Fiero swaps. It may be a lot less hassle to just buy a swapped car- they come up for sale frequently https://www.facebook.com/gr...3800.Fiero.Swap.Page

PFF
System Bot
labbe001

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2024 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

It would be wise to do some research on the topic- as it has been covered many, many times. There is also a good Facebook page specifically dealing with 3800 Fiero swaps. It may be a lot less hassle to just buy a swapped car- they come up for sale frequently https://www.facebook.com/gr...3800.Fiero.Swap.Page

Yeah I get that....and maybe the topic is getting strayed by me asking the question specific to the 3800. It's not that I'm being lazy and not doing research on the 3800 swap. I get that there's tons and tons of info out there that can be used if someone is doing the swap. My original intent of the post was a generalized rating from least difficult to most difficult as it relates to engine swaps and not necessarily every detail related to all engine swaps . Aside from the 3.4L Pushrod being the easiest (among public opinion), maybe it's not such a straightforward answer as what I'm looking for.
richard in nc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2024 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for richard in ncSend a Private Message to richard in ncEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
let me confuse you more.a caddy 4.9 aluminum 200 hp engine will bolt to your transmission and weigh less?than the 2.8.
labbe001

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2024 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by richard in nc:

let me confuse you more.a caddy 4.9 aluminum 200 hp engine will bolt to your transmission and weigh less?than the 2.8.

how is it, difficulty wise, compared to the series 2 3800?
richard in nc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2024 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for richard in ncSend a Private Message to richard in ncEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no idea.id like to do it but very litttle info other than the engine topps oput at 200 hp.no upgrades for it.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2024 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got a 4.9 bolted to a HTOB Getrag. I didn't do the original swap, but I pulled the engine back out to swap out the Caddy 4T60E for my Getrag.
Since it's a Getrag, the tranny can use stock brackets and mounts, and axles. There is (was?) an L-shaped mount available that bolted to the side of the block, by the crank pulley, and to the mounting cushion, on the right side frame rail.

When the Fiero Factory did my swap, they added brackets to the front and rear rails of the cradle, so there was never a dog bone. Without those brackets, a dog bone would be a necessity.
They also had someone (Injection Technologies?) build their harnesses.

The original swap used the Caddy engine, tranny, and computer. The 5 speed "retrofit" required a custom flywheel (came from LSC). I ordered the Fiero Store RAM clutch, but you can also order it straight from Ram (or Summit, or whoever...) The part # is 88644HD. I decided to just get mine from the Fiero Store. It cost a little bit more, but they had them in stock. Summit had a fairly long lead time.

To use any Fiero manual trans with a 4.9, you should order an Allante gear reduction starter. The gear reduction is a good idea/upgrade anyway, aside from the fact that otherwise, you have to cut a notch in the clutch housing to accommodate the starter snout.

Here is a thread, from when I did the tranny swap.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/098659.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock