New Owner - 88 GT 5 Speed by Anthony196
Started on: 03-02-2024 01:47 PM
Replies: 22 (425 views)
Last post by: 1985 Fiero GT on 03-24-2024 12:11 PM
Anthony196

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2024 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Anthony196Send a Private Message to Anthony196Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello all! New owner here. Very excited to say I just bought my first Fiero. I've lurked around on this forum for a while, the amount of knowledge and experience here is amazing. It definitely helped me in my search for the right car. I've had my eye out for an '88 5 speed for a while now, and amazingly I was able to find one within a half hour from home. She's bright red with beechwood interior. Being in the Northeast, rust is my biggest concern, but this particular car spent most of its life down south, and there is barely any rust at all. It has been sitting for a while, so it does need some TLC, but I'm looking forward to getting started, especially with all of the help available here. I'll get some pics posted soon!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2024 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome the Forum

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

fierojp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2024 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierojpClick Here to visit fierojp's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierojpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds awesome. Congrats.

Where are the pics?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2024 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to our obsession!
I see you went straight for (what many consider to be) the holy grail.
Good show! (Well... except for the bright red. I can't have a bright red car. They get seen too easily, by people who are "watching". )
Anthony196

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2024 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Anthony196Send a Private Message to Anthony196Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ha yes, bright red wouldn't have been my first choice. Then again all of my other vehicles are some shade of silver or gray, so maybe it's good to force me out of my comfort zone.

The car is coming home tomorrow. I'll get some pics posted then!

[This message has been edited by Anthony196 (edited 03-02-2024).]

Anthony196

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2024 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Anthony196Send a Private Message to Anthony196Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are some pics. She's home!

Only found 2 small rust spots.

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2024 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Anthony196:

Only found 2 small rust spots.

When rust is discovered in the trunk, it's even more imperative that you check the rear upper frame rails for rust. They can be accessed through the rear wheel wells when the plastic liners have been loosened and pulled out of the way.

At what point does frame rail rust become dangerous to the integrity of a Fiero?

Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2024 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We have the 'same' Fiero except 'colors' plus you got a nice extra.....the UQ6 subwoofer!

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2024 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a spot or two like that, on one side. Pulled my wheel well out and had a look. Rails were solid.
Anthony196

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2024 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Anthony196Send a Private Message to Anthony196Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I had a spot or two like that, on one side. Pulled my wheel well out and had a look. Rails were solid.

Fingers crossed. I reached up there behind the wheel well and felt around as best as I could before I bought it. It felt solid, but you never know...

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2024 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It has been sitting for a while, so it does need some TLC, but I'm looking forward to getting started, especially with all of the help available here. I'll get some pics posted soon!

Welcome! Looking very good.

PDFs of Fiero manuals here:
https://fieroinfo.com/

MORE here:
https://www.boomtastic.com/files

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

PFF
System Bot
Anthony196

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2024 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Anthony196Send a Private Message to Anthony196Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I pulled the driver's side fender well last night and things are looking pretty good. A little bit of surface rust I need to address, but nothing major. Hoping for a similar situation on the passenger side so I can put my mind at ease!

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2024 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I pulled the driver's side fender well last night and things are looking pretty good. A little bit of surface rust I need to address, but nothing major. Hoping for a similar situation on the passenger side so I can put my mind at ease!

Yeah, that's not so bad. Good luck with the rest!
That's a nice looking car!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2024 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, that side looks okay... but you're not out the woods quite yet! One side can be good while the other side is toast.
Anthony196

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2024 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Anthony196Send a Private Message to Anthony196Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Yeah, that side looks okay... but you're not out the woods quite yet! One side can be good while the other side is toast.

Happy to report it's a similar situation on the passenger side. Even the battery tray looks good! Sway bar links are another story

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2024 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Happy to report it's a similar situation on the passenger side.

Excellent!

Even the battery tray looks good!

Wow, you're lucky! My Formula's battery tray was so rotted by a previous owner's boiling-over battery that I just bit the bullet and mounted the battery in the front.

Sway bar links are another story.

Heh heh... yeah, those are looking rather grim!
F Craigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2024 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F CraiggClick Here to visit F Craigg's HomePageSend a Private Message to F CraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations & best of luck with the 88, you'll need it finding parts. Seriously, a great find fellow fiero fanatic

-F.Craigg
-------------------------------------------------------
Proud owner of an original white 84, 4Cyl.
Anthony196

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2024 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Anthony196Send a Private Message to Anthony196Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by F Craigg:

Congratulations & best of luck with the 88, you'll need it finding parts. Seriously, a great find fellow fiero fanatic

-F.Craigg

Thanks, and yes - I'm finding that rear brake calipers for an '88 are pretty much impossible to find. Previous owner put front calipers on the rear, so I don't even have rebuildable cores. I won't pass safety inspection here in NY without an e-brake.
F Craigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2024 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F CraiggClick Here to visit F Craigg's HomePageSend a Private Message to F CraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks, and yes - I'm finding that rear brake calipers for an '88 are pretty much impossible to find. Previous owner put front calipers on the rear, so I don't even have rebuildable cores.\

Best bet I'v seen would be a part and pull, and or get one of the caliper rebuild kits from the fiero-store. The rebuild might be complicated, but the part and pull could result in a better situation.

Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2024 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome!! Hopefully you can join the Long Island crew when they come down to Carlisle for Fieros at Carlisle in June - www.mafoa.com/carlisle24/

~ Jen
Anthony196

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2024 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Anthony196Send a Private Message to Anthony196Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fierochic88:

Welcome!! Hopefully you can join the Long Island crew when they come down to Carlisle for Fieros at Carlisle in June

Thanks! I'm not sure that the car will be ready for a road trip by then, but I plan on heading down to the nationals on Saturday.

PFF
System Bot
BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2024 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
I see you went straight for (what many consider to be) the holy grail. )

In my opinion he got the best engine, the best transmission, and the '88 suspension.

Certainly my choice as best stock version.

1985 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2024 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1985 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BingB:
In my opinion he got the best engine, the best transmission, and the '88 suspension.

Certainly my choice as best stock version.

Agreed, definitely the best factory stock version, what would be better, would be 88 Aero notchback with the v6/5spd, Aero notchback looks more unique to me, but sadly wasn't available with the 88 suspension and 5spd.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock