Shipping Gurus -- Please Opine by Notorio
Started on: 02-22-2024 12:03 AM
Replies: 17 (228 views)
Last post by: hyperv6 on 03-06-2024 01:05 PM
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2024 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I was thinking about selling my GT factory wing and researching on eBay to see what folks charge for shipping: approximately $50 to $100 within the USA (ignoring much higher outliers.) I've been calculating shipping based on a 20 x 8 x 62" box (this is the FedEx Guitar box with about a foot of extended length hacked on) and a weight of a mere 12 pounds. All the shipping rates I can find for Ground, across country are $200 - 300 and higher. Can anyone explain what the guys are doing that can ship for $50 or for $100? I'm stumped
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jelly2m8

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2024 04:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't sound right to me.. I have an account with Canada post forever and I was told forever shipping was not based on size but weight as trucks have a certain weight limit, but here we are today where both of our countries are F***ed.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2024 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Volume discounts...
Craig71188

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2024 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Craig71188Send a Private Message to Craig71188Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Volume discounts...

THIS! Big breaks for volume accounts.
Also, weight is a factor, but with more and more online sellers of "stuff" , cube or size is almost if not more critical for cost. Many shippers of small items run out of space before they run out of weight capacity.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2024 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Notorio:

So I was thinking about selling my GT factory wing and researching on eBay to see what folks charge for shipping: approximately $50 to $100 within the USA (ignoring much higher outliers.) I've been calculating shipping based on a 20 x 8 x 62" box (this is the FedEx Guitar box with about a foot of extended length hacked on) and a weight of a mere 12 pounds. All the shipping rates I can find for Ground, across country are $200 - 300 and higher. Can anyone explain what the guys are doing that can ship for $50 or for $100? I'm stumped

FedEx doesn't seem as bad as UPS... but I know UPS has *insane* shipping costs... I mean, just wild.

Shipping stuff really confuses me... because for $250 bucks, I can ship via Forward Air an arcade machine that's the size of a refrigerator. But I want to send a set of Fiero GT taillights two states over, and UPS wants to charge me $100 bucks.

I'd say the USPS is probably your best option. It's GOT to be the cheapest route... you'll just have to wait in line at the Post Office :/
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2024 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've shipped and received many a large item via Greyhound. If both ends of the transaction have a bus depot near them it's a viable option.
87GT3800SC5SPD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2024 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT3800SC5SPDSend a Private Message to 87GT3800SC5SPDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

I've shipped and received many a large item via Greyhound. If both ends of the transaction have a bus depot near them it's a viable option.

That was going to be my suggestion, until I looked at their web site to look at rates and found out that Greyhound suspended package shipments in September, 2022.

That is sad, as they used otherwise empty space in their busses to generate revenue and provide an affordable and dependable service. Maybe their failure was due to not making their service very well known. It wasn't the fastest freight service, but they provided tracking and their costs were way less than any other shipping option.

Todays shipping business models seem to be to deliver product same day or tomorrow, regardless of cost.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2024 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87GT3800SC5SPD:

That was going to be my suggestion, until I looked at their web site to look at rates and found out that Greyhound suspended package shipments in September, 2022.

That is sad, as they used otherwise empty space in their busses to generate revenue and provide an affordable and dependable service. Maybe their failure was due to not making their service very well known.

It was probably a management decision. Greyhound has had three different owners in the last decade and is now owned by a German company. They've also been closing / moving out of their traditional downtown bus stations and most likely the "new" locations at truck stops and restaurants aren't set up with agents to handle, weigh and ticket the package shipments.
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2024 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could try these guys: https://www.pirateship.com/

I've shipped with them a few times....they use standard shippers (UPS-FedEx-DHL etc.) but have "deals" with all of them.

UPS and maybe FedEx and others use what they call "dimensional weight"....where they measure your package, add an inch to all measurements, then base your rate on how much it COULD weigh...NOT what it actually weighs!

Kind of like the DMV does with taxes on your "new to you" used car purchase...where THEY tell YOU what it should've cost and tax you accordingly, no matter WHAT you actually paid! At least that's my experience here in OH. Your results may differ....

I asked about the added inch at UPS once, because I had very carefully measured all dimensions on the box I was shipping ( it was a DGP whale tail spoiler going to CA.) and told the girl that's NOT what it measures when she told me "her" readings....she said they always add an inch...I asked "why"..."company policy" was the reply!

I took my box, left and went to FedEx and shipped it for $150 LESS than I was quoted at UPS.

Since then, I've used Pirate Ship with pretty good results, although in fairness, there have been two instances where the actual shipping co. (usually UPS) added charges after the fact, because the original cost wasn't "in compliance" with their standard policies! Usually wasn't more than a few dollars difference...but that's not the point.

HAGO!

[This message has been edited by Sage (edited 02-22-2024).]

87GT3800SC5SPD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2024 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT3800SC5SPDSend a Private Message to 87GT3800SC5SPDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Notorio:

Try this link to find cheapest shipping rates. It compares shipping options and provides rate options.

https://onlineshippingcalculator.com

For example, if you shipped the wing in a box that was 62" L 16" W and 8" H, weighing 12 lbs, UPS Ground would cost just under $80 from Temecula to Miami or New York. I just picked those cities at random.

It might be worth getting the wing in a package with minimum size to see if you get within the maximum size calculations.

[This message has been edited by 87GT3800SC5SPD (edited 02-22-2024).]

87GT3800SC5SPD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2024 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT3800SC5SPDSend a Private Message to 87GT3800SC5SPDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

87GT3800SC5SPD

286 posts
Member since Oct 2002
Duplicate removed

[This message has been edited by 87GT3800SC5SPD (edited 02-22-2024).]

PFF
System Bot
Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2024 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great suggestions guys, thanks! I think what I'll do first is look for another box, where I remove the standoffs to reduce the 'height' dimension. That should be a game changer ...
Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2024 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Notorio

2964 posts
Member since Oct 2003

Originally posted by 87GT3800SC5SPD:

Try this link to find cheapest shipping rates. It compares shipping options and provides rate options.

https://onlineshippingcalculator.com

For example, if you shipped the wing in a box that was 62" L 16" W and 8" H, weighing 12 lbs, UPS Ground would cost just under $80 from Temecula to Miami or New York. I just picked those cities at random.

It might be worth getting the wing in a package with minimum size to see if you get within the maximum size calculations.

Good news, I should be able to get the box down to 61 L x 16 W x 4 H, which still allows some internal space for bubble wrap. This weekend I'll see what I need to construct that, take a final weight, then run some quotes.
lateFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2024 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use tri-wall cardboard.
Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2024 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:

Use tri-wall cardboard.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I didn't see this before buying a box at Home Depot to modify.
Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2024 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Notorio

2964 posts
Member since Oct 2003
Sacré bleu! I can't get the risers off ... 3 screws on each side. From work by prior owner:

A) Three came right out (thank God)
B) One is frozen tight
C) One spins freely (I can gently lift up a titch to see the captive nut spinning, so there is no longer any connection of the nut to the wing. This should just lift off when the screw B situation is
solved.)
D) One spins freely (but I can't lift up to see the nut spinning, so there is still some minor anchorage to the wing.)

I could use some advice to address B and D. For D I think the only thing to do is pry the post gently up and accept that the frozen nut will pull through the shreds of remaining wing. I'll have to let it soak in PB Blaster, hopefully then back the nut off, then thread-chase the nut, and epoxy it back to the wing. Likewise with D.

For B (shown below) there is no path to apply penetrating oil. The frozen screw is fully seated. I guess I could drill off the head and begin surgery. Somehow I suspect that copious PB and time won't be enough and when I try to back the screw out the captive nut will break loose. So overall, I think I'm looking at having to epoxy three of the captive nuts back in place.

[This message has been edited by Notorio (edited 02-29-2024).]

Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2024 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the resolution of the shipping question (how I removed the screws and fixed the wing I'll post in the How-to section):

1) I bought two of these trash boxes from Home Depot for a total of $10. With the standoffs removed, a 4" box height is more than enough to comfortably fit the spoiler, so I cut the boxes along the red lines in the picture. I then taped the 4" U's together from each box, making the new 4 x 16 cross section, then taped both boxes together to make a length of 63 inches. Since the spoiler is only 60 inches, this could have been an inch or more shorter.

2) Here is the spoiler resting against the taped-together box. When I pack the spoiler I'm going to wrap each end in bubble wrap AND also the center. This will help stiffen up the taped-together spot where the two boxes come together.

3) Using the onlineshipping site mentioned above, the smaller box allows for shipping across the country (CA to NY) for only $55. Hot dog!

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2024 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The shipping on a wing by UPS is dimensional.

It goes by size of box not weight since it is not heavy.

The size of box will determine the cost.

Bigger boxes are safer as smaller are prone to damage If they are not paved right. Ll

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock