John deloreon fiero gt by Air_johnson22
Started on: 05-30-2023 10:10 AM
Replies: 62 (1396 views)
Last post by: MarkS on 06-14-2023 03:03 PM
Dukesterpro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2023 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DukesterproSend a Private Message to DukesterproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

I edited my post to clarify the Idiot I was referring to was out Donut Video guy.

It was in no way directed at the OP even if we disagree.

I hope this clears any confusion.

Sorry I have a very low tolerance for the Donut guy no matter the topic.

James from Donut Media, is a odd fellow. Is he an authority on the Fiero or any car besides the 350z, absolutely not. But do remember, Donut Media isn't meant for you. Its a channel exists to get youngsters into cars. They speak zoomer language, they are loud, flashy and goofy because that's what sells to my generation. You don't have respect them as a source of meaningful information, I certainly don't, but you should have some respect that they are pushing younger kids into a hobby that is being whittled away by more and more disposable appliance type cars and video games.

Moving on to our new member, first off, welcome to the forum. It always great to have a new member. I am definitely sorry that some are ribbing you right out of the gate. I willing to chalk that up to most of us interacting with the same 20-30 members on a regular basis and forgetting some table manners along the way.

However, I will say this, you are talking to some of the smartest and most well versed members of this community. Pennock's is one of the last bastions of Fiero activity on the internet and I am personally willing to bet that if you can't find something here, you won't find it anywhere else. (Fiero related content, that is). That being said, it isn't impossible that anyone here isn't wrong. But in this case its rather unlikely.

I am going to be bluntly honest. The story you were given about decklids being inspected by John DeLorean is not true. The timeline doesn't line up and frankly doesn't make sense as to why a ,even at the time, legendary designer would be working on something like decklid inspection. Even something like a work release would be documented, and there is no way GM would want a convict with a direct conflict of interest working in there plant, much less on such a high impact project.

You very obviously want to show that the value of your decklid is higher because of this signature. I don't see anything wrong with that. But, the fact of the matter is. There are tons of stuff with J.D signature on it. Its not like he was frugal with the fan service. The fact that its on a Fiero decklid, a car he had no known significant association with even if your story about decklid inspections was true, doesn't do much for its value. Especially for a deck lid from a Fiero, which most folks outside of this community, don't give a damn about. Now, if this signature was on a set of DMC-12 Louvres or a C3 decklid, it might do more to inflate the value of that object. But frankly John DeLorean's signature on a Fiero Trunk is worth a Fiero Trunk. I just don't really think that up for debate. I am deeply sorry if that's not that answer you wanted to hear. However, just because its not monetarily valuable doesn't take away the cool factor of having J.D's signature on something. If the signature is real.

Something I want to add. While we are on the topic of respect for each other. While you didn't do anything wrong. I will say that cutting down a well crafted and informative response that clearly took a lot of time and effort for another user to make with a Donut Media video and no context, to me, came off as rude. Discussion and debate here is encouraged, its what keeps the forum alive. Sometimes we are right and sometimes we are wrong. It would just be my recommendation for the future that a offering meaningful rebuttal to someone's argument is a healthier way to keep a conversation alive than responding with a "Fiero 101" YouTube video.

Again, welcome to the forum, these is just my 2 pennies, do with them what you will!
IP: Logged
Dukesterpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2023 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DukesterproSend a Private Message to DukesterproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dukesterpro

361 posts
Member since Aug 2022

Originally posted by Air_johnson22:
I appreciate that , but not new to cars - I have been showing a racing cars for 50 years . Not real impressed with your page , I was told this page was a good resource . So far just seems like a lot of bully’s and people that want to make fun . Makes me feel ashamed for owning one of these cars to be honest , because people at shows highly recommend this forum . I will be deleting this of my phone because this is not the kind of input I need - you might want to clean house if you actually want some members that can contribute

Didn't see this pop up as I was typing up my previous response. Sorry you didn't receive that validation you were seeking.

Don't let the door hit you on your way out.
Air_johnson22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2023 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Air_johnson22Send a Private Message to Air_johnson22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dukesterpro:

Didn't see this pop up as I was typing up my previous response. Sorry you didn't receive that validation you were seeking.

Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

I am a car guy seeking history , this group is a disipointment to the car community , and I am a collector for the history not the money - I have many show vehicles and the Fiero is the lowest value of them all . Thank you for your rudeness , have a good day
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2023 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We gave you the correct answer in the first 2-3 posts after the initial question. It was you that decided to argue.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2023 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well... this went well.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2023 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry Incorrect- Fiero was now cancelled till 88 - there span was from 84 till 88 and cancelled due to the fire lawsuits and recalls

Sorry, this is also incorrect. The "official" reason it was cancelled was due to the drop off in sales.

Fact: 7% of all Fieros made ever had an issue or complaint of engine fires - far less than some other vehicles out there. There was a big public misconception fueled by the media that made people think they all did (note: this only affected the 4 cyl models and generally only the 84MY). I also do not recall any law suits filed over the fires (please show your source).

Above corrected: the Wikipedia page it states: "Fieros were catching fire at the rate of one for every 508 cars sold." So if 370,168 produced, 729 fires using the rate on 508. That really only works out to 0.2% that caught fire.

If you want to whole story, I suggest you watch this video wtih Hulki And Parki the Designers of the Pontiac Fiero where they spill the beans.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DbRHF1FBSE

As for the signature part, you would do better to talk to the Gilmore’s museum to get the answers to your question since they were the ones that point it out to you. Also meaningless unless they can provide you with some sort of documentation to this fact and as to why he was really there (was he there to offer a suggestion that was implemented, etc.). Did he also visit other assembly lines and sign those cars? Assuming the signature can be authenticated as actually being his.

Also to point out, the signature on your car is far different than other examples of John DeLorean's signature that you can find on the web. I doubt it is his anyways as it also does not make sense as to why he would have signed it as "Serviced 5986 and signature". This looks like, as was suggested, that it was a note by the technician that did the service on the car at 5986 miles.

Also if you ask me, you are the one that got all bent out of shape and rude when people questioned this, there are many people on here that have been around since day 1 of the Fiero and know something about it's history - no need to crap on the forum/group because you don't like the answer.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 06-11-2023).]

MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2023 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am a car guy seeking history , this group is a disipointment to the car community , and I am a collector for the history not the money - I have many show vehicles and the Fiero is the lowest value of them all . Thank you for your rudeness , have a good day

Dude, as far as subject driven social forums are concerned, you'll find this one as being the most knowledgeable & fair regarding the Fiero; it's just the way it is. I've been around internet forums back to the early usenet days and my god if you think rudeness is prevalent here well........

[This message has been edited by MarkS (edited 06-08-2023).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2023 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've been on this forum since the beginning and find it to be the best Fiero resource around. If you dislike this forum there is a simple solution: just don't go here. Problem solved.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2023 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My biggest question is how did the Gilmore Museum person determine that your car was number 15? Did he see something on the vehicle that gave him a clue or was he just going by knowledge?
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2023 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I appreciate that , but not new to cars - I have been showing a racing cars for 50 years . Not real impressed with your page , I was told this page was a good resource . So far just seems like a lot of bully’s and people that want to make fun . Makes me feel ashamed for owning one of these cars to be honest , because people at shows highly recommend this forum . I will be deleting this of my phone because this is not the kind of input I need - you might want to clean house if you actually want some members that can contribute

Sorry you feel that way. Some of the members may have unloaded on you but it's because we're all passionate about our cars and the history around them. That includes the Pontiac - GM - John Zachary DeLorean interplay.

There are many folks on this forum that have extensive experience with GM, Pontiac, and Fieros. If they've not heard the story, then there is a chance it may not be as it was reported to you. NOTICE I said MAY. You could be right and for all of our sakes, I hope you are because it would be another interesting piece to the Fiero story.

BTW, I've owned Fieros since 1990 and I've never heard the story about John Z. DeLorean inspecting fire protection and installation on '86 Fieros (I have 3, '86's: 2 GT's and SE.) but it's a really interesting point if it is true. I've never seen any fire-protection on them. Is there something that you can point out so I can see if one of my cars was inspected by Mr DeLorean?

Finally, if you never access the forum again it will be your loss because the "people at shows (who) highly recommend this forum" are right. It's the best source of information on Fieros in the world. The expert knowledge, here, is incomparable.

Have a nice day, Mate.

[This message has been edited by Mike in Sydney (edited 06-08-2023).]

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2023 05:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My message actually goes two ways. Not only do I want existing members to treat new members with respect, but vice versa.

And you seem awfully quick with your judgement. Yes, some people posted comments that could be conceived as derogatory. But if you have been reading this forum at all, you would know people here like to kid around a little bit. It's actually a bit of an initiation ritual. Show a thick skin, perhaps even some humor and people will embrace you as one of their own almost immediately. Get all riled up while not accepting any of the answers on your question people are giving you, or even worse, say this forum is a disgrace for the community simply because you are not getting the answers you were hoping for, then yeah - you are not making yourself popular here.

This forum (more precisely, its members) is perhaps the sole reason the Fiero is still such a popular car and there are still so many on the road. Yet it's a disgrace because you don't like the answers you are getting? A simple search on Google would point you to other Fiero Forums that would love to share stories with you how terrible Pennock's Fiero Forum is. But don't be surprised if they steal your passwords to gain access to other sites you visit. They have been known to do that. But fortunately its (mostly) a free world. You are free to get your information somewhere else.

Nobody walks on eggshells on this forum. You don't have to worship or suck up to the moderator. You don't have to belong to a group. We are not the kind of group that tells "noobs" to use the search. We welcome new members. You can hate us and you are still welcome. Posts are not moderated to death. We welcome new ideas.

So the choice is yours really. Even though you've literally insulted this forum just now, people are still not burning you down. And we will still welcome you if you decide to stay. If that doesn't tell you what kind of group we really have here, nothing will. And again, there are more forums out there if you think you will be treated better there. But sooner or later, they will always point you to information found right here.
PFF
System Bot
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2023 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

Fact: 7% of all Fieros made ever had an issue or complaint of engine fires - far less than some other vehicles out there. There was a big public misconception fueled by the media that made people think they all did (note: this only affected the 4 cyl models and generally only the 84MY). I also do not recall any law suits filed over the fires (please show your source).

This seems awful high. Do you have a source for this number? 7% of 250,000 = like 20,000 Fiero fires. That just seems absurd to me.
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2023 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

reinhart

1095 posts
Member since Mar 2002

You only are seeking history if it agrees with your preconceived notion. Had the response to your claim been "Wow Mr Johnson, your Fiero is so rare and valuable due to your authentic John Delorean decklid signature, we'll pay you any amount of money you want. Take my money", then you'd be a big fan of this useful forum. But because real history doesn't align with your hope for a quick payday to offload your Fiero, then we're bullies and meanies and the forum is useless information. Are you just angry you overpaid for some signature thinking you could make a quick buck?

Regarding the value of your Fiero vs other cars, did you normalize the current value with the original cost? Are you comparing a $10,000 Fiero new with a $50,000 C5 new or whatever?
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2023 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the best car forum period! Youre mad some people dont believe your story so you rip on the whole forum because you got some wisearse responses. What are you in kindergarten? I came on here 6 years ago my first post being a kitcar, and knowing nothing about fieros. The whole first page of my build thread is people talking smack. I expected it, I thought the comments were hilarious (is that turd fergusons car?) lmao!

Then you rip on the fiero saying its the lowest value car in your collection, it probably is most peoples collections too( unless it was signed by john D lol), but is usally one of the most loved.

Love your minty fiero that just needs a bunch of work. Mines minty too, just need everything gone thru, an engine, and a paint job. Mint!

The response about george washington was great lol

shem
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2023 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
History can only be made by the principals involved. Not those who want to create it.
sleek fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2023 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sleek fieroSend a Private Message to sleek fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally I think everyone should relax take a breath and think about what they are saying..we are here to help each other not pick on each other. I hope we can keep welcoming everybody that takes on the responsibility of owning one of these classics. JUST SAYING !! sleek
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2023 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by reinhart:

This seems awful high. Do you have a source for this number? 7% of 250,000 = like 20,000 Fiero fires. That just seems absurd to me.

Yes, that seems high to me as well, but I just did a quick search and that is what came up.

A better search shows on the Wikipedia page it states: "Fieros were catching fire at the rate of one for every 508 cars sold."

So if 370,168 produced, 729 fires using the rate on 508. That really only works out to 0.2%. That seems more correct.

I will update my post.
Found another number: the Fiero had only 176 catch fire (NHTSA number) or 260 (GM records) total during production.

That being said, I believe the OP is long gone.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 06-19-2023).]

MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2023 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That being said, I believe the OP is long gone.

Agree and if flipping this car is / was the original intent as suspected, then we surely won't hear from him. He would want this thread to ultimately just go way.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2023 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MarkS:

Agree and if flipping this car is / was the original intent as suspected, then we surely won't hear from him. He would want this thread to ultimately just go way.

Often people pedaling stories like this will tell it till they find believers. We have seen it here before.

I found the 1990 Emblems and knew what they were but I was getting hit hard by a member here who claimed he had them. Well I went to document them and I even passed the info and photo of what he had to the GM people and they never saw his before. I was kind and tried to tell him what what he had was not a GM item per Jon Albert the ID package designer. He just got mad at me. I was just trying to help and not taunt but he did not want to accept the truth. I think he still claims them for GM but they are not.

You just sometimes can't protect some folks from themselves.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2023 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MarkS:

Bump.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2023 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

Often people pedaling stories like this will tell it till they find believers. We have seen it here before.

Yea, all 88's have Lotus suspension. lol
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2023 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yea, all 88's have Lotus suspension. lol

Hah... I pulled one of those stickers off a Geo Storm that had the Lotus-designed Suspension (or whatever Geo it was) and put it on my 87 Fiero, because I believed that was the case... even though my Fiero was an 87, haha... That sticker may still be on the back of my Fiero, but it's in storage and I didn't think to look last time I checked.
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2023 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Driving to work this morning I heard a quote from Mike Tyson and I immediately thought of this thread: "Social media made you all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." "Iron Mike".

And oh...bump..

[This message has been edited by MarkS (edited 06-14-2023).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay