88 Fiero GT "T" top car by Duck 1
Started on: 04-13-2023 02:32 PM
Replies: 4 (294 views)
Last post by: reinhart on 04-28-2023 03:34 AM
Duck 1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2023 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Duck 1Send a Private Message to Duck 1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am fairly new to the Fiero world. I was fortunate enough to purchase a 88 GT with original T top. ( fender build sticker has it on there) I am restoring my car to original specs. It is a 88 GT "T" top with white body and gold wheels. I had the original radio rebuilt and the interior is a light tan color. Can anyone tell me what the real value of this car would be when I am finished ?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jelly2m8

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2023 04:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The value is what someone will pay for it. The 'big' money is in low Low mile all original un-molested GT's in exceptional condition. Being a T-top is a huge gamble for the buyer. As soon as one mentions restore there is the dreaded T-top seals. if this car didn't need to be restored the seals are still a BIG question, if it needs to be restored is a red flag.

It will be what someone will pay for it. if you are talking restore you have to ask is it worth the investment. Do you already have new tail lights for it? I have owned an 88 T-Top a Florida car, I restored it as far as the parts supply allowed me. I sold it because after near 20 years I just could not live with the ok-ish T-Top seals. We would have a hurricane.. dry inside, wash it six ways to Sunday and back again with a pressure washer and dry inside but those after a light rain and a wet ass broke the camels back for me.

T-top Fiero's are a fickle ***** , you cannot buy new seals for them, you cannot guarantee those cars are straight and square anymore. I Loved, I really loved my T-Top on a nice evening with the roofs out, but I hated it ( and I don't toss the hate word around freely ) when I plopped down only to get a wet ass. Ok enough love/hate on the T-Tops.

I own a Very nice Southern 88 GT that was a multiple time best in class Fiero's at Carlisle winner. But even now that is an OLD, AGED car. 2 years ago I put 15,000 dollars into that car just to make it cosmetically back to as new as I could with what parts were available, there was minimal mechanical work ( brake hoses, pads and tires) not included in that cost, and even now I think I have a Really nice Fiero, it's still not what I would call Restored. I did not put that money into my car to sell it, I did it for me and no other reason, I wanted to build the Fiero I wanted as a young bloke that didn't have the money then. I spent that money so I can enjoy it until I can't. I still know my ~20,000 investment is worth 4k to the insurance company, but it is what it is.

If you bought it to flip it, my suggestion is to shop it out now as is. If you want to restore it to the best you can you have to ask yourself, where is the profit point?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2023 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In addition to the post above, it really depends upon miles, condition, and RUST! (In what part of the country has the car spent its days?) The car can look perfect on the outside and - in extreme cases - be ready to crumble to the ground.
Pull up the carpet in the trunk, on the "short" sides. Rust will usually start under the rails that are welded to the outside of the trunk compartment, and eat its way into the trunk. Also check the floors, with the car on a lift. Of course, look at the suspension pieces - especially the engine cradle.
Other than rust or collision damage to the space frame, most everything on a Fiero can be unbolted and replaced.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2023 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fieros are not an investment. Restore it it is a hobby and joyous for you. Drive and enjoy the car. But if you bought it to make money on it, it is a poor use of your time.

Best of luck with the car.
reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2023 03:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

Fieros are not an investment. Restore it it is a hobby and joyous for you. Drive and enjoy the car. But if you bought it to make money on it, it is a poor use of your time.

Best of luck with the car.

That's not true. Anything can be an investment. Cabbage Patch Kids? The future is uncertain, that's why it's called an investment. You gamble it's going to go up in value relative to inflation just like your Invidia stock. Seems like in the last 5 years, the low mileage 88 GTs were a good investment based on Mike Kelley's $90K and other examples on BaT. But again, the future is unknown. In 10 years a low mileage 88 GT could go for $200K or it could still be at $25K. Who knows?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock