Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  To use or not use zero lash end links on the back?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
To use or not use zero lash end links on the back? by Kitskaboodle
Started on: 02-06-2023 11:02 PM
Replies: 12 (452 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 04-04-2024 11:37 PM
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2023 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This question should resonate with those who auto-cross their Fiero’s. I did a search and found a discussion or two about whether one should use Rodney’s zero lash end links on the back of one’s Fiero. (the discussions assumed the front of the car already had Rodney’s links installed)

From what I read in the discussions, it appears the consensus was that the car handles better with the zero lash end links on the front only.

Do you have them on your Fiero? What is your experience with them? Has anyone tried them front and back? If so, how did your Fiero handle?

As an fyi, I recently installed two sets. Both sets were installed on the fronts of my 85 & 86 GT. (both cars have factory front swap bars and FieroStore rear bars)
Thanks, Kit

[This message has been edited by Kitskaboodle (edited 02-06-2023).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2023 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

I did a search and found a discussion or two about whether one should use Rodney’s zero lash end links on the back of one’s Fiero. (the discussions assumed the front of the car already had Rodney’s links installed) From what I read in the discussions, it appears the consensus was that the car handles better with the zero lash end links on the front only.

I may've been one of those people involved in the discussions you found. The usual (but not 100%) consensus is that you want the front sway bar stiffer than the rear sway bar on a Fiero. On my '84 (which I both daily-drove and autocrossed years ago), I installed a factory front sway bar in the rear. To make the sway bar on the front act "stiffer" than the rear mounted one, I installed zero lash end links on the front only (and used regular rubber-cushioned end links in the rear). I was very happy with how my '84 handled on the track. Very neutral handling. If pushed, the car would four-wheel drift in the sweeps. Felt great. The only problem was that the duke was gutless.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-07-2023).]

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2023 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the input Patrick.
I am curious if anyone tried them on both ends and what “bad” (or undesirable traits) the car exhibited.
Kit
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2023 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I only have the Zero-lash links on the REAR stabilizer bar....I have done some odd things to how my bars are mounted front and rear- improving turn-in while cutting back on the Drop-Throttle-oversteer. (Usually, you improve one while making the other worse)

I have been into handling since my first car (1972 Comet GT)...My 73 mach 1 was where I really started to make progress on suspension tuning; A friend told me that "Your shocks suck" so I started doing research on shocks- installed KYB Gas-a-just (Custom size up front) plus odd stabilizer mounting and 1986 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 steering box internals into Ford Box (High effort, quick ratio)...That same friend, who autocrossed a BMW 3 series (And had years earlier raced a Trans Am Mustang) came back from the second test drive shaking his head;

"What's wrong?!"

"Your Mustang out-handles...and Out-rides my BMW!"

Here is a link to my Thread on how I set up my stabilizer bars on my Fiero; https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/140674.html
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2023 03:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

I am curious if anyone tried them on both ends and what “bad” (or undesirable traits) the car exhibited.

Keep in mind the point I was trying to make is that it isn't the zero lash end links themselves that make all the difference... it's the stiffness of the entire rear sway bar assembly relative to the entire front sway bar assembly.

You have aftermarket rear sway bars installed. I don't know how their rigidity compares to the front factory sway bars.

I believe the way it works is... Extra sway bar stiffness up front will cause the vehicle to "plow" (understeer) into a corner, whereas extra sway bar stiffness in the rear will encourage the rear end to snap around (oversteer) in a corner.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2023 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use them front/rear on my 88 with the upgraded addco sway bars. I find my car to be very neutral in the corners where mid corner I can switch back and forth between oversteer and understeer with throttle input.

I think it all comes down to how well all of your suspension pieces work together. If your car/setup handles better with the rubber or poly end links, that is OK. Give the car what it wants.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2023 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can someone explain to me what is meant by "zero lash" and where these fancy Rodney Dickman end-links are? I still have the stock ones on my Fiero, and would like to upgrade.

Thanks!
Rick Vanderpool

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2023 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick VanderpoolSend a Private Message to Rick VanderpoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Zero lash end links replace the standard links. They eliminate any slop in the anti-sway bar to suspension arms.
http://rodneydickman.com/ad...=Zero+Lash+End+Links
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2023 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick Vanderpool:

Zero lash end links replace the standard links. They eliminate any slop in the anti-sway bar to suspension arms.
http://rodneydickman.com/ad...=Zero+Lash+End+Links

Awesome! Thank you!
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2023 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just for what it worth.

I have the Herb Adams VSE suspension on my Fiero. This set up was done for racing in showroom stock racing.

Herb was the suspension guy for Pontiac and was the father of the Trans Am.

He was a racer and was well known for taking his wife’s 1964 Lemans and turning it into a Trans Am racer. He nearly beat Penske and Mark Donahue in a race with Bob Tullius driving in 1969.

The set up uses a 1” front bar and solid links with a 1 1/4 “ rear bar and rubber Bushings.

There also is solid control arm bushings to remove the bump steer.

That is what one of the best GM and race engineers used on the Fiero. This was a properly tested and engineered system that works all together not just sone part added and seat of the pants tested.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 02-15-2023).]

WKDFIRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2023 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WKDFIROSend a Private Message to WKDFIROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1988 Formula, 290k miles, urethane bushings on suspension all four corners, stock front sway bars with urethane bushings and zero lash links, rear sway bars with zero lash but with old rubber bushings. Stock 15 wheels with stock size tires.

I can't really say that I would be able to judge improvements since it was missing a passenger's side front end link when I got it. Until I got underneath to see what was going on, it was a handful on the freeway. So anything was an improvement when I put the zero lash in the front. When I got the 3.4 put in the rears got zero lash as well. For everyday driving, I can't feel a thing. If I do decide to whip it around it is nice and flat but I also don't push too hard until I upgrade the wheels and tires. It hasn't been on the mountain roads just yet but it feels pretty confident. This is the first 88 I've owned, the five other Fieros in my life were 85 GT, two 87 coupes and an 87 GT. The front sway bar on the Formula is huge compared to the stock 87 sway bars. The rear sway bar looks to be the same size as the coupe bars and I'm sure its with good reason.

I'm happy with the zero lash in that I've seen the urethane rot away which surprised me as I thought they were supposed to outlast the car. Zero lash seems like its going to be around for a very long time.
PFF
System Bot
Mswilcher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2024 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MswilcherSend a Private Message to MswilcherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Peripheral question here.... I have zero lash end links front and rear on my 88 3800 SC car. Stock otherwise front and rear except for coilovers in rear. Currently moving to the c4 rotors all around and noticed the rubber boots on the end links in the rear were cracked or torn. These have only been on the car for under a year and probably less than a thousand miles. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, possible fixes. RD is great and has already offered to send new ones out but I would like to prevent it from happening again. Really considering going back to regular end-links in the rear after reading some accounts here.
Thank you all.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2024 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mswilcher:

...noticed the rubber boots on the end links in the rear were cracked or torn. These have only been on the car for under a year and probably less than a thousand miles. Has anyone else experienced this...?

Good question. Mine have been on two of my Fieros for years... and I've never looked at them (closely) since they were installed. I've often wondered what condition they're in.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock