Hey IMSA guys/ fiero history buffs by shemdogg
Started on: 08-02-2022 12:52 AM
Replies: 22 (660 views)
Last post by: R Runner on 08-12-2022 06:33 PM
shemdogg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2022 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is this awesome looking car? Cant find much info on it other than this picture. I absolutely love the car wow that things looks bad arse

found it on this webpage
https://vintageracecar.com/...-huffaker-1927-2022/

thanks
shem
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2022 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cyrus88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2022 03:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
to the lower right of the number 55 are the words "Pontiac/Firebird"
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2022 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cyrus88:

to the lower right of the number 55 are the words "Pontiac/Firebird"

Very likely the same car. They just called it a Firebird, since the Fiero program's cancellation had already been announced.
I remember seeing a car run at Road Atlanta badged as a Fiero GTP, that looked just like that. (Spice Fiero?)

I want to say they ran 90 degree V6s in them at some point. Could be wrong on that point, however.

Edit - Google "Spice Fiero". Lots of pics that look similar to that car. None with #55, however.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-02-2022).]

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2022 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This was the racing "Fiero" that competed in IMSA GTP (prototype) "Light" class.....The only thing remotely related to a real Fiero is the engine.

After GM Cancelled Fiero production, they had to figure out how to continue running this car, which was somewhat successful...Finally decided to call it the "Pontiac Firebird".

GM management does something stupid (cancel Fiero) and then compounds it by renaming the MID-ENGINE race car for a front engine pony car.

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 08-02-2022).]

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2022 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that first pic is the Spice SE88 and SE89 no nomeclature after the spice fiero is SE86L and C and Se87 L and C and the fiero is longer.

Fiero ran the SD4 and the buick and firebirds ran the v6 the corvette ran the v8 but al in different classes.

[This message has been edited by mmeyer86gt/gtp (edited 08-03-2022).]

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2022 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mmeyer86gt/gtp:

that first pic is the Spice SE88 and SE89 no nomeclature after the spice fiero is SE86L and C and Se87 L and C and the fiero is longer.

Fiero ran the SD4 and the buick and firebirds ran the v6 the corvette ran the v8 but al in different classes.

Huffaker Racing built a lot of SD4 engines.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2022 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quad GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2022 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This racer uses a Hewland DGB 5-speed manual with single-plate dry clutch

Any chance this transmission can be used on our Fieros? Im guessing these are not cheap.

https://www.hewland.com/wha...e-car-transmissions/

shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2022 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the replies and great info fellas! "spice fiero" is definitely the google search I was looking for thanks raydar. I thought one of em looked longer than the one in the pic I posted. Both look super cool but prefer the shorter one, just dont like how the body curves in behind the front wheel. So these were tube chassis w a fiberglass body, or were they built on fiero and firebird frames? Or is the imsa gtu the one on the fiero frame w the kits some folks have? I saw the ad w one for sale and was drooling hard till I saw the price lol. Fantasizing about building one, the roof and doors look difficult. Appreciate all the replies!

shem
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2022 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think any of them (GTPs or GTUs) were "built on a Fiero frame". All of them were purpose built, with largely tubular construction. The GTP probably even used a bunch of exotic materials and methods (all speculation on my part, however.) I'm not even sure the GTP had a transverse engine. The GTUs were like a lot of the tube frame stuff that has been posted here. Not much about them was "Fiero", other than the SD4 engine being based on the Duke. Some of them ran Getrag boxes with special gear sets.
If you can find an old Pontiac Performance Plus magazine, it gives a very much "in depth" description of the chassis, running gear, and construction of the GTU.
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2022 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just noticed that there are two different back-ends to these cars.....I always knew about the Entech Fiero GTP Light...and that they changed the name to Firebird after 1988....but did they change some of the body...or more...?
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2022 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the se86/87 fiero was a different frame than the se88/89 firebird

the gtp was longitudinal engine and transmission

The gtu was more fiero in look than the gtp.
the gtu was transverse.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2022 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well Shem, if you wanted one, you could always find one of these used:

Or just the 1/12th scale body for $50

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 08-05-2022).]

R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2022 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a spotters guide I put together some years back. I don't have much on the 55 car.

------------------
Paul

Craig71188

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2022 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Craig71188Send a Private Message to Craig71188Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Checking the class markings will also give you some idea of what is in them/configuration (if visible). GTU in IMSA, often just a black decal w/white "U" were typically transverse mounted SD4 motors. Originally up to 2.7L, I think they allowed up to 3.0L in later years. Typically, these were notchback bodied. Most of the GTU cars were built by Huffaker Engineering. As many as 17 chassis may have been built by them(?). They also sold full size blueprints and some number of "clone" chassis were also built. The GTO versions ran multiped engines, but early versions ran what GM (briefly) marketed as the "SD6". This was the Chevy 90 degree V6 with Pontiac badged intake and heads from Brodix. As mentioned above, mounted longitudinally with Hewland DGB gearboxes. Some of these were also fitted w/SD4 motors and as far as I have seen, all GTO cars were the fastback body. Spice did run some of these GTO cars before moving on the the more swoopy GTL (Camel Lights) prototypes badged as any number of things w/various motor combos. Again, the DGB gearbox was the typical choice.

The GTU / GTO cars were tube frame cars w/fiberglass skins. Not sure on the GTL chassis, but at least partially monocoque if not carbon fiber by that time. SCCA also allowed the IMSA GTU cars to race in "GT2" and the GTO cars to race in GT1. I have a "one off" car built specifically for GT1, tube chassis, Pontiac badged V6 with a March 87T transaxle (similar to the DGB). I was lucky to also find two original Spice Engineering built (initially) V6 motors ("PMS007" & "PMS008") for the car. Restoration is nearing completion.

I still would like to own a Huffaker (or clone), but am glad to have the current car. A couple of early Spice cars are around in the Caribbean, but beyond my budget!

[This message has been edited by Craig71188 (edited 08-06-2022).]

R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2022 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Craig71188:

The GTU / GTO cars were tube frame cars w/fiberglass skins. Not sure on the GTL chassis, but at least partially monocoque if not carbon fiber by that time. SCCA also allowed the IMSA GTU cars to race in "GT2" and the GTO cars to race in GT1. I have a "one off" car built specifically for GT1, tube chassis, Pontiac badged V6 with a March 87T transaxle (similar to the DGB). I was lucky to also find two original Spice Engineering built (initially) V6 motors ("PMS007" & "PMS008") for the car. Restoration is nearing completion

Very nice build Sir. We should compare notes.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2022 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are how the cars fell out.

GTU was a stock like body tube frame race car with a transverse SD4. Huffacker built all of these cars.
They were notchback coupe in 84 85-6 they were notch GT the last couple years fast backs.

There was one GTO Fiero that ran a longitudinal 4.3 V6. It did not a whole season in 88 due to the Fiero being canceled. It used the trans axle of the Spice race car.

The GTPL Fiero are the Spice prototype cars all were 4 cylinder SD4 they were raced in IMSA and Europe.

Once canceled Pontiac changed the Spice to run the GTP class with the V8 as a Firebird.

The Spice also was used with the Buick Turbo and used by Acura and just raced as a Spice car.

I was lucky enough to have attended the races these cars ran back in the 80’s at Mid Ohio. I was able to get in the garage area and paddock and not only get photos but got to sit in a few of the cars.

I still have. Huffacker GTU Goodwrench racing shirt.

Those were the prime time for IMSA as mfg participation was at a all time high.

None of the race cars were production based, some did use factory steering wheels and tail lights. That was about it.

The only stock based cars were used in showroom stock SCCA with Herb Adams and rally racing back in the day. Autocross had a few racing and they won championships in Formulas.
red GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2022 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for red GTSend a Private Message to red GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Dingman Brothers 4 car only ran in the 87 IMSA GTO season. It is a Spice built chassis/frame and the only factory GTO made. It missed it first race, the 24 Hours at Daytona because it wasn't ready in time. The second race of the 87 season was the Miami GP and it won that day...first race...first win! Dingman's parked the car after the last race of the 87 season and it sat in their race shop in Winter Park Florida unit it was sold some time back and is believed to be in California now. A long time ago I sent a picture of the car at the Daytona Fiero Show to Bob Earl (driver) and told me to ask Billy Dingman why he would never put his name on the roof. Unfortunately I never found out why. Billy Dingman did tell me that late in the 87 season Pontiac asked him to move to the GTP class because they weren't going to back the Fiero after 87 because of the possible cancellation of the production cars. He told Pontiac no because the GTP car teams were to expensive and went into NASCAR after 10 years in IMSA.

------------------
8T6 GT

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2022 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by red GT:

The Dingman Brothers 4 car only ran in the 87 IMSA GTO season. It is a Spice built chassis/frame and the only factory GTO made. It missed it first race, the 24 Hours at Daytona because it wasn't ready in time. The second race of the 87 season was the Miami GP and it won that day...first race...first win! Dingman's parked the car after the last race of the 87 season and it sat in their race shop in Winter Park Florida unit it was sold some time back and is believed to be in California now. A long time ago I sent a picture of the car at the Daytona Fiero Show to Bob Earl (driver) and told me to ask Billy Dingman why he would never put his name on the roof. Unfortunately I never found out why. Billy Dingman did tell me that late in the 87 season Pontiac asked him to move to the GTP class because they weren't going to back the Fiero after 87 because of the possible cancellation of the production cars. He told Pontiac no because the GTP car teams were to expensive and went into NASCAR after 10 years in IMSA.

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2022 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hyperv6

6000 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by hyperv6:

Thanks Craig I was hoping you may haver seen this. The Dingman name escaped me and all I could think of was Valvoline.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe they won the Columbus IMSA GP in the GTO car. That was the only win and that was against a field of V8 cars.

That little car has a lot of potential that just never was realized.

Hope all is well and e mail or call me when you have time. My number is the same as is the e mail PM me if you can't find it.

Got my car apart for some work and I have a trash for Monday to get it ready for the Pontiac Nationals on Sunday next week. Waiting on powder coat on the intake and covers.
PFF
System Bot
jdv

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2022 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jdvSend a Private Message to jdvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back in I think 87 I was working at the Palm Beach Grand Prix. The Valvoline gto car was racing and dnf because of rear brake failure. I was checking the car out off track and some one ask me how much I weighed. I replied 130 and they said get in. They pushed the car around the track back to the trailer. The person handed me a Valvoline hat and $ 20. I was in a state of awe. I had just bought my first fiero and loved that v6 car. I wish I still had all the race banners we picked up at that race because we worked stocking the souvenir locations through out the track.
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2022 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jdv:

Back in I think 87 I was working at the Palm Beach Grand Prix. The Valvoline gto car was racing and dnf because of rear brake failure. I was checking the car out off track and some one ask me how much I weighed. I replied 130 and they said get in. They pushed the car around the track back to the trailer. The person handed me a Valvoline hat and $ 20. I was in a state of awe. I had just bought my first fiero and loved that v6 car. I wish I still had all the race banners we picked up at that race because we worked stocking the souvenir locations through out the track.

VERY Cool Story! Thank you for sharing.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock