Started on: 07-18-2022 02:19 AM
Replies: 16 (539 views)
Last post by: kendell on 07-25-2022 10:51 PM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2022 02:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This video does not involve a Fiero, but instead of posting this in O/T, I wanted to make sure that the guys and gals who work on their cars here at PFF see this video. It could save your life!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2022 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Brakes.....or....Breaks..?

Everybody wants >>POWER<<.....but handling...brakes......Those don't make me go faster! My father emphasized that a car should preform good in ALL ways.

That video is hard to watch...and the guy who owns/drives that car may feel really bad over this accident...But this is a great (Bad) example to all of us mechanics...Everything must work good-to-great for safety reasons....

Oh, yes, either wear a shoulder harness, or add some ketchup to that dash before you "munch it"!
A_Lonely_Potato

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2022 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for A_Lonely_PotatoSend a Private Message to A_Lonely_PotatoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i saw this a couple days ago. dumbass was riding the brakes AT ALL TIMES when out drivng because it would idle up and put him over the speed limit. i don't remember how long he was out, but gave himself some brake fade...

EDIT:
and maybe he should have been wearing this handy dandy harness behind him

[This message has been edited by A_Lonely_Potato (edited 07-18-2022).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2022 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Don't ignore brake issues!" Is Very True But this Video is blaming "the Brake?" Big Problem with that claim...

~ 4:47 says (Paraphrase) "Smelling Brakes?" "I'm riding the brakes because of high idle."
This Very Likely Means the Moron Cause the Wreck because the Fluid Boiling resulting in Brake Failure.
Even New Fluid can Boil from Dragging the Brake for any reason. Just takes longer to reach boil temp but they where planing to drive more...

For Reference:
~ 5:26 Trying to "stop" as he put in Park that let Park Pawl to "rachet" making that sound because car is moving. This Does Nothing in Most cars. But If going slow/slower, the Pawl might engage then break and do nothing, break other drivetrain parts or lock up the rear and spin out. Putting in Reverse may help or not depending on transmission. Trans can just break things or lock the rear trying that.

They best hope the people that he hit doesn't sees this because easily get put out as Evidence if suing him and AutotopiaLA. The Lawyers will likely want all raw video too.
Driver's Insurance Co may review this causing "problems" too even if Statute of limitations have expired for the "accident" itself.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2022 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

"Don't ignore brake issues!" Is Very True But this Video is blaming "the Brake?" Big Problem with that claim...

Ogre, give me a break. I could only mention so much in the topic heading, and it was a lack of brakes that caused the accident. The hydraulic brakes failed (due to brake fluid boiling, due to riding the brakes, due to a sticking throttle making the automatic equipped car go too fast)... and there was a total lack of a hand/emergency/parking brake, mentioned at 9:14 of the video.

Those two fellas were so fortunate that all those mounted cameras (both inside their car and on the chase/film vehicle) didn't record their deaths. Can you imagine if the guy had "booted" it with all that horsepower shortly prior to impact!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-18-2022).]

PhatMax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2022 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhatMaxSend a Private Message to PhatMaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sooooooo no E break ? Also, why would you not kill the motor….he had time.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2022 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PhatMax:

Sooooooo no E break ?

According to the host of that video, this seems to be rather common with these type of show builds... which might be okay if they were never driven!

Also, why would you not kill the motor….he had time.

I wondered the same thing, especially considering the driver was fully aware that the throttle was sticking and not allowing the engine RPM to slow to an idle. Perhaps "panic mode" kicked in.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-18-2022).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2022 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick
The thread Topic is fine but that video is their PR spin that likely fools many people.

Sooooooo no E break ? Also, why would you not kill the motor….he had time.
No E-brake = Illegal for street use in many places even if doesn't inspect this but not in CA according to some members... Also Emergency/Parking Brakes "by law" require them to be Fully Mechanical. So you never get "line locks" and other hydro methods for this function in most places.
Very Likely Line Locks etc won't work in this case after the Fluid was Boiling.
(Electric P-brakes are only powered to apply and release and do not hold the brake on.)

Kill the motor won't help w/ auto trans. TC shell attach to flex plate also drive the trans pump. No engine, no pump, no hyrdo pressure to do anything.

But shifting down often will help and a lot on most cars. D to 2 then 1 for many old GM and Ford units will "Trans brake" the car. But the High Idle problem could make that not to work right if at all.

Example: I did that often on 1 long steep hill where lived because of sharp turn in the middle and to prevent brake fade etc. But you don't to that all the time either because will cook the trans oil from overheating at minimum. (This hill has most trucks of any size going slow up and down even after state modified the curve to somewhat of a less sharp turn.)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 07-18-2022).]

RichLo1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2022 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RichLo1Send a Private Message to RichLo1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This video is going around everywhere. Its useful to remind car guys to double check all of their safety equipment... BUT that youtuber is an idiot for posting the full video showing the owner knew the breaks were bad before driving the car. Then showing the lead-up with him smelling breaks and the throttle sticking and the idle was set way too high! The youtuber did this to make a viral video and when the lawsuit eventually comes (It will!) I wonder if he will give the car owner any of that youtube money to help with lawyer fees and settlement money? I doubt it.

Both the owner of the car and the youtuber should be liable for this accident, they both knew something was wrong way before the breaks locked up. Once the youtuber smelled breaks they should have pulled over and fixed the idle at a minimum.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2022 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TURN THE ENGINE OFF. The results will likely be less damaging than crashing while the engine is still powering against the brakes, however diminished they may be.
We had a 1952 GMC pickup truck/orchard truck on the farm when I was a kid. One day the gas pedal stuck, so I turned the engine off.
I wonder how many 'unintended acceleration' catastrophes could have been mitigated by turning the key off...

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 07-19-2022).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2022 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The video producer and the owner of the car should have gotten the car off of the road.

Period.
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2022 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is something that may fit this situation....

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 07-19-2022).]

skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2022 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
neutral was an option and you would not have lost PS or brake boost and you could have always dropped it back in gear if you needed to go forward a little. If the car idles too high in park or neutral then it should be shut off and parked until the high idle is resolved. My sense is these guys just wanted to wreck for the clicks or insurance or both.

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 07-19-2022).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2022 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Even with a sticking throttle, there wouldn't have been all this carnage running a manual transmission.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2022 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

TURN THE ENGINE OFF. The results will likely be less damaging than crashing while the engine is still powering against the brakes, however diminished they may be.
We had a 1952 GMC pickup truck/orchard truck on the farm when I was a kid. One day the gas pedal stuck, so I turned the engine off.
I wonder how many 'unintended acceleration' catastrophes could have been mitigated by turning the key off...

Many race cars have a kill button for hung throttles or failed brakes.

Most people just do not ever plant a plan in their head of what they would do if something happens.

Wrenching on so many cars you kind of try to anticipate anything. Just moving a car into a bay to work on it can experience anything.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2022 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The guy is also an idiot for suggesting the driver should not have locked his arms just before impact since that shattered his bones. True, if he hadn't locked his arms, it would not have shattered his bones. He would've been dead instead.

Locking your arms might cause unnecessary trauma if you wear a harness, but it still a heck of a lot better than losing your life if your harness fails.
kendell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2022 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendellSend a Private Message to kendellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that happened too fast. Good warning for everyone

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock