Started on: 03-03-2022 08:40 AM
Replies: 20 (460 views)
Last post by: ohioindy on 04-01-2024 04:34 AM
ohioindy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2022 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohioindyClick Here to visit ohioindy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohioindyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the past decade or so I've had some life/death experiences that has put my Indy Fieros on the back shelf.
Both of them have not been started in 8 plus years. I have spent the past year getting both of them road ready.
Both of them needed new fuel systems. The gas today does not like sitting for years at a time.
Does anyone run ethanol free gas? We have a station here that has E90, which I use on my outdoor power equipment, and never have an issue with fuel system being gummed up.
By the way...here is my retirement life.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2022 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use ethanol free gas in all my cars and lawn equipment, never have any problems with their fuel systems.

Sometimes when traveling I have not been able to find ethanol free gas and my mileage goes down a bit if I have to use ethanol gas.

I like alcohol in a glass, can or bottle, not in a gas tank
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2022 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
E85 E90 is near all Ethanol.
Many small engines have problems w/ just E10 or "up to 10%" Ethanol in Gas.

Ethanol pulls Water right out of Air and cause many problems because Ethanol will drop out of solution w/ gas.
Ethanol is a Solvent that "eats" many parts not made for it.
Running E15 to E90 causes Timing and other problems for non "Flex Fuel" vehicles.

While in some places you can get non ethanol gas for Off Road Use... ("Marine" Gas for Boats and more is often Dyed and use for street is Illegal because doesn't include Road Taxes etc.)
No gas can sit for Months let alone for Years and been True for Decades.
Stabill etc helps some to store between seasons but doesn't make gas happy after 6 months.

Most Newer EVAP systems for vehicles completely close when car is shut down to keep fumes in and water out.
Older EVAP for Fiero and others across brands do not do this and while tries to keep fumes in, water can get thru the EVAP "Can" pull by any alcohol.

Worse is Vented systems that most lawnmowers etc have or crap gas "cans" that won't seal. These allow water in and fumes out. Gas has light and heavy parts and light parts "leak" faster thru any unsealed systems/containers.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2022 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always recommend ethanol free gas.

E90 by name would be worse than E85 which is worse than E10 (standard). Like Ogre said.

When I park mine for winter (to keep them out of road salt) I always use the local 91 octane ethanol free gas near me from Quik Trip. I don't have 87 octane ethanol free near me. (But also something to note, as gas sits and degrades its octane content lowers.)

I use ethanol free when it is available. All the old rubber parts in Fieros fuel systems hate ethanol as does aluminum.
In small engines I always use ethanol free.

Also recommend Seafoam additive as a stabilizer and all around conditioner / cleaner.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 03-03-2022).]

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2022 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think that OP means to discuss REC-90, not E90.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REC-90

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2022 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ah yes. They do call the 91 octane ethanol free gas at my Quik Trip recreational gasoline.

Everything said here does apply.
ohioindy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2022 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohioindyClick Here to visit ohioindy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohioindyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

I think that OP means to discuss REC-90, not E90.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REC-90

Correct
I just looked at it, the station has a sign that says E90 but the pump says REC90

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2022 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ohioindy:

Correct
I just looked at it, the station has a sign that says E90 but the pump says REC90

Wow... that station needs to get it straight. They are near polar opposites.
Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2022 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes I run REC FUEL in my hobby cars (ethanol-free recreational fuel). While Rec Fuel is much more stable for longer periods of time and doesn't damage the fuel system like modern ethanol fuels do via breakdown of seals, tarnish, and water accumulation contributing to rust, it is still recommended to use a fuel stabilizer with Rec Fuel if you plan on storing it for the winter or longer. The trick in using the stabilizer properly before storage is, you add the stabilizer first at the gas station before you fill up with Rec Fuel, and since its only a few ounces it gets washed down the filler tube and mixed in thoroughly as you're filling, and its distributed throughout the entire fuel system while driving back home. (you want a full tank for storage, less space, less condensation)

Here is a website that lists the gas stations that sell Rec Fuel (there are a handful in my metro area)... https://www.pure-gas.org/

[This message has been edited by Skybax (edited 03-03-2022).]

Trinten

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2022 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

While in some places you can get non ethanol gas for Off Road Use... ("Marine" Gas for Boats and more is often Dyed and use for street is Illegal because doesn't include Road Taxes etc.)

Hi Ogre, that might not be true in every state. North Carolina has a (small) chain of gas stations and other resources to find stations that offer non-ethanol gas, and is taxed (and usually sold at a premium) and is allowed to be use on roads in standard equipment (at least as recently as end of last year, haven't checked to see if any new laws around it kicked in this year, but the same places are selling it and no changes in signage). Typically I can only find it in 91 or 93 octane (and yes, that premium price I mentioned is above the stations normal 91/93 octane gas).

Edit below
I should have added this last night but didn't think of it. To Ogre's point, yes if it's Dyed gas, it's restricted use. Thankfully the places where I can get Ethanol free gas in N.C, it is not dyed.

[This message has been edited by Trinten (edited 03-04-2022).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2022 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any Dyed gas is illegal for street cars in most places for same reasons as above.
Non dyed non E gas, if you can find it, is high $ because maybe cost more but many just believe the hype "E10 = dead engines" and will pay more.

Wiki page is not correct as to availability.
Example above Dyed "Marine" fuels have been available for Decades but only at marinas and only for boats. If they allow to filling "gas cans" often limit the amount to prevent transfer to street vehicles. Many marina operators has state "Dept of Revenue" = to IRS and more watching them way before "E10 made problems" because of Road and other Taxes involved.

E10 gas often isn't 10% Ethanol but less to far less than that and why many station pump labels say "up to 10% Ethanol." And covered here many times.

Small engine die mostly from ID10T owners way before E10. Many store equipment and/or fuel outside, in crap containers, let gas sit in equipment for weeks to months, and more problems but they just blame the gas and now E10... B&S and other small engine makers claim "E10 is Bad" is often just easy way to Void any Warranty for same moron owners.

Stored cars like above have more problems than just "stale" gas.
Often have brake and coolant systems w/ big problems too because of "wet" brake fluid and old coolant.
Ethylene Glycol itself doesn't go bad but anti rust and other additives do and rot inside out. Expect to replace the water pump now or very soon after car runs again.
Brake Fluid draws water from air 24/7 and when have just a pin hole in MC Cap will Fail "Wet Boil" in hours to a few days. Plus brake pistons not used for years have problems too. The Tiny fluid "leak" at the seals protect the pistons and other moving parts.
PFF
System Bot
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2022 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't hate E85 because it gave me +12 rwhp on my 3.4 and + 20 rwhp on my 4.9 ...
You have to advance your timing and increase fuel injector flow rates 30% ... so yes fuel economy goes out the window ... but fuel economy wasn't my goal.

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 03-07-2022).]

Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2024 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently learned of a great information source in my American Motorcyclist magazine that may be valuable for the Fiero community:

An Ethanol-Free Fuel Site called 'Pure-Gas.org'
https://www.pure-gas.org/

"Welcome to the definitive list of stations that sell ethanol-free gasoline in the U.S. and Canada!"

This site has one, simple purpose: to list the stations that sell ethanol-free gasoline in the U.S. and Canada. Period.

Unfortunately, California has only 22 stations.......

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2024 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vintage-Nut:
I recently learned of a great information source in my American Motorcyclist magazine that may be valuable for the Fiero community:

An Ethanol-Free Fuel Site called 'Pure-Gas.org'
https://www.pure-gas.org/

"Welcome to the definitive list of stations that sell ethanol-free gasoline in the U.S. and Canada!"

This site has one, simple purpose: to list the stations that sell ethanol-free gasoline in the U.S. and Canada. Period.

Unfortunately, California has only 22 stations.......
āš ļø Warning: Many listings are Marinas or Airports & Not for Use in Cars & other things on the road...
Again, Marinas often have Dyed Gas that can get you into huge problems w/ Tax people. Most I've see do not sell to the general public even for small amounts because State &/or Feds watch them for same reason.

Airports have 100 octane Avgas that still have TEL (tetraethyl lead) that will cause huge problems like Catalyst Hate Lead, poison it then often Way Overheat causing a Fire. Also cause problem w/ Taxes too & most do not sell to the general public for same reason.

Both Don't have Road & other Taxes.
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2024 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre:
Many listings are Marinas or Airports & Not for Use in Cars & other things on the road....

Not True and Varies by State
It is about 'choice' and state's "mandatory ethanol blending" law.
A state doesn't have to be a "mandatory" state to have ethanol present in most of its gasoline.........
(California does not have a mandatory ethanol blending law, but California Air Resources Board had an agreement with the EPA to blend ethanol into all of the gasoline despite California isn't technically being "mandated".)

By surfing in other states on the site, (like Arkansas) MANY 'normal gas stations' offers and sells Ethanol Free Fuel to the road public.....

In Arkansas, you can fill-up with good old-fashioned ethanol-free gas with 464 gas stations which lists a few Marinas/Airports

Brands:
ALON
CITGO
EXXON
SHELL
PHILLIPS 66
VALERO
SUNOCO
MURPHY
TEXACO

AT:
Alon Gas Station
Walmart
Murphy USA
Ray's Grocery & Service
Hilltop Travel Center And Restraunt
Ash Flat Tire And Lube
Flash Market
Jeff's Auto Service
Casey's General Store
Jordans Quik Stop

So, some states offers 'normal gas' for use in 'normal vehicles' on 'normal roads'.........but California consumers are forced to use ethanol.

Florida is another state with a choice with 1,099 gas stations selling Ethanol Free Fuel to the road public!

Check-out YOUR state restrictions/policies if you have a choice or not............

[This message has been edited by Vintage-Nut (edited 03-31-2024).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2024 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know this is 2 years old... but since I moved back to Florida, I've seen multiple gas stations with ethanol free fuel... including some that have it at all the different octanes as well. One gas station has 88 Ethanol Free, which is literally cheaper than Regular 87 with 5-10% ethanol. Like, it blows my mind... so I use that 88 Ethanol Free whenever I'm there. But primarily, I put non-ethanol gas in my cars that sit... because I fully expect they'll have issues when I try to run them again.

Also, OhioIndy, if you're still reading this thread... would love to know the story about those two Indys... they look like they're extremely low miles.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2024 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is no place around here selling Ethanol Free fuel but my 3800SC series III uses only Sunoco Ultra 94. Its the highest Octane standard gas that I can find and its needed as the engine runs 11 psi of intercooled boost.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

ohioindy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2024 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohioindyClick Here to visit ohioindy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohioindyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

I know this is 2 years old... but since I moved back to Florida, I've seen multiple gas stations with ethanol free fuel... including some that have it at all the different octanes as well. One gas station has 88 Ethanol Free, which is literally cheaper than Regular 87 with 5-10% ethanol. Like, it blows my mind... so I use that 88 Ethanol Free whenever I'm there. But primarily, I put non-ethanol gas in my cars that sit... because I fully expect they'll have issues when I try to run them again.

Also, OhioIndy, if you're still reading this thread... would love to know the story about those two Indys... they look like they're extremely low miles.

Well.. I got both of them about 20 years ago, about 2 months between purchases. The one on the 2 post lift in the foreground, is a manual with 114K on the odometer. It was in OK shape when I got it. I fixed a bit of rusting in the trunk and completely rebuilt the fuel system and the suspension. It looks really good now. I also put an over-roof-scoop with working strobes and lowered it a bit. The one on the 4 post in the background is a true time capsule, 43,000 miles automatic trans and not a mark on it. It is100% original down to the Goodyear Eagle GT tires. 20 years of ownership and the only miles I have put on it was around the track at Indy.

[This message has been edited by ohioindy (edited 03-31-2024).]

Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2024 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FYI Only

Personally, I had been using 'Primrose 403 Protect-O-LubeĀ® Plus' for decades which also reduces water in ethanol fuels.
5 gallon pail is $240
https://www.primrose.com/Prod_detail.php?ID=41
https://www.primrose.com/im...Fuels.pdf?TechInfo=2

I saw 'Bell Performance Ethanol Defense' the other day.....
Case of 4 x 1 Gallon Jugs is more at $378
https://www.bellperformance...nst-Ethanol-Problems
https://shop.bellperformanc...ions/ethanol-defense
Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2024 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Off topic but how do you like the portable 2 post?
ohioindy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2024 04:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohioindyClick Here to visit ohioindy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohioindyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phirewire:

Off topic but how do you like the portable 2 post?

I love it. Just don't use an impact to tighten it to the anchors in the floor. They will break the concrete after time. Hand wrench and torque to spec.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock