Double din relocation relocation by Xenoblast
Started on: 12-04-2021 02:48 PM
Replies: 21 (670 views)
Last post by: Xenoblast on 12-29-2021 02:13 PM
Xenoblast

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2021 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was gonna print this for my car;
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4580837

but I really didn't like how it looked. So I stole the model and put it in fusion 360. I have a model for the climate control being closed off at the bottom, and with the climate control on top.

Heres what it looks like:

The print just barely fit on my ender 3 3D printer. I printed it out of ABS so that I can vapor smooth it.

I will be uploading the file on thingiverse later today if anyone is also interested in this. If anyone sees any problems with my plan please let me know. Also of course I will give credit to the creator of the original file.

I imagine I will have to design some bracketry for the climate control and for the radio, so I will go and think up how I will do that later today.

[This message has been edited by Xenoblast (edited 12-04-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2021 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the file:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5156413

It looks like the climate control can use the stock mounting location, due to the hole for it being 3mm bigger btw. I am getting a double din radio on Wednesday so I will try and make bracketry then, or I will use the original files bracket but idk if that will work. Once I get everything fitted I will put a brushed aluminum look on it.

[This message has been edited by Xenoblast (edited 12-05-2021).]

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2021 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can buy 8, 9 or 10 inch screens single din in 2021. I am putting in a 10.3 inch in my lexus.
InTheLead

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2021 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Vapor smooth? I'm interested in your outcome with this, I'm itching to do basically what you're doing. That's pretty cool so far..
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2021 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

You can buy 8, 9 or 10 inch screens single din in 2021. I am putting in a 10.3 inch in my lexus.

I considered that option, but I want to have my screen always out and not in the way.
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2021 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Xenoblast

274 posts
Member since May 2020

Originally posted by InTheLead:

Vapor smooth? I'm interested in your outcome with this, I'm itching to do basically what you're doing. That's pretty cool so far..

Vapor smoothing is the process of putting a 3D printed part in a chamber with acetone vapors inside of it. For small prints, putting it in a pot on a stove works best and can finish in 10 minutes. For big parts like this you just have to hang the part on the top side of a bucket and put acetone in and wait a couple hours. All plastics can be vapor smoothed, but require hard to get or expensive chemicals to do so. ABS and ASA can do it with cheap store bought acetone. I left mine in a little too long, and so the part became soft in some places, so I am going to reprint using ASA this time, which is basically ABS but easier to print.

This time I will sand the part first then vapor smooth it.

[This message has been edited by Xenoblast (edited 12-08-2021).]

MichiganReefer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2021 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichiganReeferSend a Private Message to MichiganReeferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been wanting to print the original one-when I get access to my buddy's printer. Beyond pulling the current face plate off and undoing the side bracketry for the climate and radio and locating them appropriately. What do I have to do to install a double DIN in my own Fiero?
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2021 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MichiganReefer:

What do I have to do to install a double DIN in my own Fiero?

Unfortunately I havent gotten to installing everything yet, but I did a quick test fit with the radio without the faceplate and it seems the only major thing you would have to do is cut the plastic bar underneath where the climate control is. My radio also fits snuggly underneath the climate control supporting it, so I dont think the added stress of removing the bar will do much.
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2021 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look at that fitment!

Well the fitment could be better, but its just as good as GMs fitment for the climate control, so I will keep it.

Also just my luck, the print failed right at the very end (I print this upside down)...

another 12 hours i guess...

[This message has been edited by Xenoblast (edited 12-09-2021).]

TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2021 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wonder how it would look using a resin printer...

https://www.amazon.com/IFUN...vnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvra nd=5990420352038023683&hvtargid=kwd-929107000785&hydadcr=8460_11337763&keywords=high%2Btemp%2Bresin%2B3d%2Bprinter&qid=1639078893&sr=8-5&th=1

Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2021 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

Wonder how it would look using a resin printer...

Probably fantastic, but youd need a big and expensive resin printer to do it... my printer costs $200 and does a pretty decent job at it, atleast good enough so that a little sandpaper and vapor smoothing can fix the blemishes.

but if you have a resin printer id say definitely go for it, i dont even think you would need to do any sanding at all if you did
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2021 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MichiganReefer:
What do I have to do to install a double DIN in my own Fiero?

Depending on the depth of the radio, you may have to saw/bend the original bracket out of the way. Here is a blown up picture from the above post. You can see the factory radio bracket that may or may not need to be removed.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 12-09-2021).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2021 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IMSA GT

10268 posts
Member since Aug 2007
And for everyone on this thread, if you install the radio, press your headlight switch and the lights go up but won't go down when you turn them off, that means you've blown the fuse for all of this:

Disconnect the gray console lighting wire from the radio and that should fix it.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 12-09-2021).]

RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2021 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the stock radio double din or sone weird size?

------------------

Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2021 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RACE:

Is the stock radio double din or sone weird size?

Stock radio is 1.5 din.
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2021 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally done with the conversion it seems! It took so long because I figured i should install an sub and an amp while all the interior was apart, and I have to say it sounds really good now. The bluetooth is kinda crappy with the headunit i got but i bought it for apple car play anyway.

Also I somehow lost a few screws and they are weird sized screws so I have to wait on those before putting the shifter stuff back on.

[This message has been edited by Xenoblast (edited 12-27-2021).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2021 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That turned out nice. You even have the bevels around the edges. Nice.
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2021 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, however the majority of the credit goes to "dremu" on both this forum and on thingiverse. I basically just spliced around his model and measured to make so i made the holes big enough.
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2021 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks fantastic, I'm definitely going to give this a try!
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2021 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I noticed that my previous thingiverse model didnt show up in search on multiple devices, so I reuploaded it and now it appears

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5177717
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2021 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xenoblast:

I considered that option, but I want to have my screen always out and not in the way.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm...a:g:riEAAOSwah5hOH14
The rear is height adjustable with this option although you did a top job.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 12-29-2021).]

PFF
System Bot
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2021 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm...a:g:riEAAOSwah5hOH14
The rear is height adjustable with this option although you did a top job.

ngl that radio seems like a fire hazard lol, I also wanted a good driver for my sub and speakers that I installed, so a single din would be limited in quality. Not saying single dins are bad but double dins have more head room to be better.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock