Started on: 11-06-2021 07:52 PM
Replies: 15 (477 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 11-11-2021 08:24 PM
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2021 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For many years I have used CD2 Engine Detailer spray. It did a wonderful job and had no harmful effects on anything in the engine bay, the front compartment, wheel wells, or anywhere I used it. Unfortunately, my supply ran out and it's no longer available. So, I had to find another product that wouldn't degrade rubber products, especially the engine bay hoses.

I came across the Griot's Garage line of products and because I was planning to enter the 2021 Carlisle GM Nationals show with MAFOA, I searched their product line for an engine detailer. They have a product called Engine Bay Dressing, in an aerosol can, so I ordered a couple.

I had the car detailed inside and out, and the engine bay and front compartment cleaned. I asked them not to use any detailing products in those areas since I already had something. I brought the car home Wednesday night, sprayed the engine bay and front compartment, following the instructions on the can which cautioned against allowing overspray onto exterior painted surfaces and glass. The vent grills were tipped upward but not removed in order to spray in the area of the air filter canister and the battery area. The remainder of the engine and engine bay were sprayed, including the trunk wall.

The car was then covered and left to sit until Friday morning when I left for Carlisle. When I removed the car cover, I was shocked to see my quarter windows were destroyed. Obviously from the effects of the Griot's Garage Engine Bay Dressing, as the detailer has been doing my car since 2019 when I first entered the GM Nationals at Carlisle.

Upon returning to Atlanta after an extended trip, on July 6 I contacted Griotch's Customer Service about this and they requested that I send details and pictures of my quarter windows. Once I did that, they responded with: "Thank you for taking the time to email us here at Griot's Garage. If you could provide pictures in the years this product has been made and sold we have never heard of this issue. Please provide the pictures for review and the picture of the products used so they can be forward to the product trester for review."

After 2 months with no response, I asked them for the status. Still no reply. After another 2 months, I asked again. Still no response. All this correspondence is a continuation of the original email to them and their response to the initial contact.

The pictures below are the result of using their products. Another area affected is the engine bay vents. Though they were tipped up out of the way, apparently the vapors that passed up through the vents dulled the glossy paint job on them. These are pictues of what happened to my quarter windows.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2021 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If those are Chris Cooks replacement quarter windows, he paints the shading and dot edge detail on them. Real GM Quarter windows have the shading and detail laminated to the window as do the Fiero Store premium quarter windows. That sounds like the problem.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2021 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First off what is in this? I looked at their web site it is not listed but others sell it.

It sounds like it is a silicone spray that should not do any damage. Non3 of the reviews bring up much about damage.

Can you list what is on the can that makes up what it is.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2021 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis, these were GM NOS quarter windows that I got from 2 different dealers. One came from GM Parts Direct in NC, the other from a GM dealer in Maine. Not aftermarket.

HyperV6, I just received their current catalog and it isn't in it, either. (Edited: It is listed in their summer catalog on page 41, which is where I ordered from.) The ingredients are: Propane/Isobutane/N--Butane, Heptane, Methyl Acetate, Dimethyl Polysiloxane. It says for more ingredient information visit griotsgarage.com or call 800-345-5789

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 11-07-2021).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2021 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya CD2 was nice stuff.
I havent ever put any on my quarter windows, but this summer I used Pig Spit, and it worked well. I used "original" aerosol.
https://www.pigspit.com/

Sorry to hear about the sail damage.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 11-08-2021).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2021 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Dennis, these were GM NOS quarter windows that I got from 2 different dealers. One came from GM Parts Direct in NC, the other from a GM dealer in Maine. Not aftermarket.

HyperV6, I just received their current catalog and it isn't in it, either. (Edited: It is listed in their summer catalog on page 41, which is where I ordered from.) The ingredients are: Propane/Isobutane/N--Butane, Heptane, Methyl Acetate, Dimethyl Polysiloxane. It says for more ingredient information visit griotsgarage.com or call 800-345-5789

Not looking like anything I would spray on an engine. Or much else other than rubber.

Hmm that may be why it is no longer listed on their site.

I think they know they have an issue.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2021 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry to hear that, especially in view of the high cost of those windows. If that detailer contains Heptane that is a very strong solvent. Methyl Acetate is used in nail polish removers so its kind of a paint remover. The other ingredient is a type of silicone oil. Those chemicals sound pretty strong for a detail liquid. That might explain it. Hope that you can hold Griot responsible for the damage.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2021 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Hope that you can hold Griot responsible for the damage.

They won't talk to me. After I sent the pictures, they won't answer any emails.

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2021 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The big question: can you even find an original set anymore?
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2021 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

The Fiero Store premium quarter windows were designed by two GM engineers originally on the Pontiac Fiero project and are being re-manufactured to original specs. They do have a slightly darker tint but the fit and contour are just like the originals. The price is $400 a set of two but its the only route to an original appearance.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2021 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When I removed the car cover, I was shocked to see my quarter windows were destroyed. Obviously from the effects of the Griot's Garage Engine Bay Dressing

Sorry to hear that, I've been there, that's why I'm ultra careful nowadays. I have people say to me all the time...

"why don't you polish those lenses and get those scratches out"
"Why don't you use this stuff on your windows"
"Why do you wipe down the car the hard way"
"Why not just bla bla bla bla"

...because what you experienced with your quarter windows is exactly why I do things the long/hard way with no chemicals or dressings. You never know how something chemically is going to react till its too late. I ruined my 1967 Barracuda interment cluster clear lens 20 years ago in a very similar way, that was the final straw for me. I only use a few drops of Dawn dish soap with warm water and a clean soft wash-cloth on interior, windows, and front/rear compartments. The paint gets favorite wax and detailer spray carefully applied to the paint only.

[This message has been edited by Skybax (edited 11-09-2021).]

PFF
System Bot
GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2021 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Ahhh Yes!
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2021 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

They won't talk to me. After I sent the pictures, they won't answer any emails.

Sorry to say, you really got laid on that deal. Griots sounds like a real shady outfit. If the windows haven't been etched and the damage is on the
surface only, some fine polishing compound may clean them up but thats assuming that the damage didn't enter deep into the plastic. I feel for you bud that was a really bad experience.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2021 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The damage is all the way through. It looks like what happens when tempered glass is hit. I'm a little afraid of putting much pressure on them. In the sign industry, when that happens to acrylic, we called it 'crazing'. It happens when a petrochemical is used on acrylic.

I think it's pretty obvious what caused it. The area that wasn't exposed is still normal. That would be the black portion at the fronts of the quarter windows.
Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2021 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hate that your windows are ruined, but I'm not so sure that Griot's garage should be responsible for correcting the problem. They sold you an engine bay cleaner with the appropriate cautions about not getting the spray on paint or glass. Acrylic was not listed in the cautions, probably because the overwhelming majority of cars do not have acrylic windows anywhere on the car. I don't think they should be held responsible for a chemical effect that would not occur in 99.9% of the cars out there. I work with acrylic plastic aircraft windows, and they can be very sensitive to chemical vapors. Covering the car probably trapped the vapors, allowing the damage. I feel your pain, I have an 88 GT with crazed windows.

------------------
Rod Schneider, Ball Ground, Ga.
"You can't have too many toys!"
1988 Fiero GT
1988 Porsche 928S4
1987 Corvette
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Van's RV-6 airplane

[This message has been edited by Rodrv6 (edited 11-11-2021).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2021 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The product wasn't sprayed on the quarter windows. It was the vapors from the spray that came up through the engine vents. They were probably captured and held there by the car cover. Cautions said not to get it on glass, and I was diligent in that since I didn't want to have damage to my rear window. It wasn't affected by the vapors nor were the vinyl decals on the rear window. Just the quarter windows.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock