photos not showing up. by bjc 350
Started on: 10-18-2021 01:56 PM
Replies: 18 (287 views)
Last post by: bjc 350 on 10-22-2021 11:37 PM
bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2021 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since the demise of PIP, I have had no issues with getting my photos loaded. But the last few days, I am unable to get the pictures to show. When I load them, they show the link, but when I preview them all I get is the little page with the folded upper right corner and the black slash through it. I have resized, turned cookies on, then off, and to no avail. I know I'm getting older, but what besides that, can I blame this problem on? We used to have an ad blocker which caused some issues, but it is not running. Tried the search.
Thanks in advance for any helpful ideas.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2021 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bjc 350:

When I load them, they show the link, but when I preview them all I get is the little page with the folded upper right corner and the black slash through it.

I get the same thing (using Chrome browser), but... Have you tried following through with the post? I think you'll see that the images will then appear no problem.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-18-2021).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2021 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Since the demise of PIP, I have had no issues with getting my photos loaded. But the last few days, I am unable to get the pictures to show. When I load them, they show the link, but when I preview them all I get is the little page with the folded upper right corner and the black slash through it. I have resized, turned cookies on, then off, and to no avail. I know I'm getting older, but what besides that, can I blame this problem on? We used to have an ad blocker which caused some issues, but it is not running. Tried the search.
Thanks in advance for any helpful ideas.

Are you using Opera as a browser?
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2021 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
see https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/099923.html

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2021 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

see https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/099923.html

Ogre, I believe bjc 350 is referring to something different. He's referring to an uploaded image not appearing in the preview prior to posting.

Here's an example. I'll do a screen capture of the preview of this very post.

[EDIT] And here's the screen capture...

bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2021 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to post even if the pictures do not show in the preview. We use Google, but not Google Chrome my computer literate wife says. I've never posted in the "Post a picture of your Fiero taken today" but I'm giving it a try. Don't tell anyone they were actually taken two days ago.

Just posted to the thread , and though the pictures did not show in the preview, they showed just fine in the actual post!? Patrick, you must have experienced that before as well. Thanks everyone.

[This message has been edited by bjc 350 (edited 10-18-2021).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2021 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick, you must have experienced that before as well.

Yes, I have. This is beyond my knowledge comfort level, but I believe it has something to do with Cliff Pennock updating PFF several months ago from http to https to satisfy Google security requirements... and apparently some parts of the site (image hosting?) haven't been changed over which leads to potential issues like what we've been experiencing with image previews. I believe the same issue is currently affecting the ability to preview PMs before they're sent.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2021 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the screen grab above...

The page/preview Window maybe Too Small for the whatever device or browser to scale down a picture... Or problems by cause ny PFF Coding and whatever browser...

1. In Short, PFF have issues behind the scenes and been there for Decades and cause weird problems.
Worse, all Modern Browsers default trying to use HTML 5 and have more problems.
Is why you see "illegal character" symbol in some posts, more so in old post made w/ old browsers.
Exact Symbol depends on browser... Some show a empty rectangle. Other show a diamond w/ a ? inside.

People that know HTML code the problem start w/ each page shown are missing charter code and HMTL version statements.
So browsers get bent trying force HTML5 defaults.

2. More recent, Cliff made Changes to now Auto Scale larger images to whatever size windows or screen. Before many remember having to scroll sideways to read threads w/ big picture even after can use img thumb because can't won't or just didn't know that even there. Many pic's are so wide even wide screen users had to scroll sideways.
But This and maybe added to 1. may cause the above problem to some browsers and/or devices.

When I tried Preview of both above w/ Current FF on Win7 Desktop PC.... Both displays and Scale to the tiniest window Win7 and FF allows. The s-grab was too small to read the text. Dogs smaller then most USPS stamps... (uploaded w/ png so not to loose details.)

PNG file, 138pix wide x 142pix high, size 14.3 KB (14,675 bytes) including small border to show the complete window.

Unless somethings changes and missed it...
Apple iCrap must use Apple's Rendering Engine in all browsers. So the all other browsers are basically Skins.
I thought most Android things are the same but even not many "3rd party" browser run on some versions of chrome/chromium even on PCs. About only one not is FF PC.
And i mean some versions... Brave etc maybe some to many versions of chrome rendering engine behind then current Chrome. Even then they may have bugs on top of whatever problems w/ the engine version used.

Sidenote: PIP isn't dead and if/when it is, pictures posted w/ it are still there.
I stopped using it only because doesn't take PNG.
So far I haven't had any problems w/ the Upload Image button. Even when edit a img tag to use thumb.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2021 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

In the screen grab above... The page/preview Window maybe Too Small for the whatever device or browser to scale down a picture

No, that's definitely not the source of the problem in this case. Yes, I purposely made that Preview window smaller so that I could frame what I wanted for the screen grab, but I've noticed for the last few months that uploaded images have not been appearing in the (regular sized) Preview window prior to posting.

* It's important to note that the preview of an image which has been uploaded previously works just fine. It's only images that are being uploaded at the time of the post that will not preview. That should mean something to somebody.

I previously mentioned that the preview of PMs prior to sending them has also been messed up starting at the same time as the image preview problem. A message window would open up about something not being "secure". So I wouldn't bother following through with the preview... I'd simply send the PM instead. Wouldn't you know it though, but I just tried this now to get a screen grab of the message... and the preview of the PM came up as it always used to. I'll have to look into this further.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-19-2021).]

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2021 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That apparently only happens in Chrome. Firefox previews the image just fine. I'll see if I can find what is causing it (although in all probability it's indeed because the page is trying to display images non-securely on a secured page).
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2021 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11609 posts
Member since Jan 99

1. In Short, PFF have issues behind the scenes and been there for Decades and cause weird problems.
Worse, all Modern Browsers default trying to use HTML 5 and have more problems.
Is why you see "illegal character" symbol in some posts, more so in old post made w/ old browsers.
Exact Symbol depends on browser... Some show a empty rectangle. Other show a diamond w/ a ? inside.

That hasn't been the case for several years now. The page document type is declared just fine and charset defaults to UTF-8.
PFF
System Bot
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2021 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11609 posts
Member since Jan 99
Ah ok, I see what the problem is. I'll correct it so uploaded images preview fine in Chrome too.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2021 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11609 posts
Member since Jan 99
Should work now.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2021 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Having this issue in Firefox on a Mac, with several older threads (apparently secure page not showing insecure images?)

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...031229-1-032252.html

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2021 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I previously mentioned that the preview of PMs prior to sending them has also been messed up starting at the same time as the image preview problem. A message window would open up about something not being "secure". So I wouldn't bother following through with the preview... I'd simply send the PM instead. Wouldn't you know it though, but I just tried this now to get a screen grab of the message... and the preview of the PM came up as it always used to. I'll have to look into this further.

I still can't get that window/message to appear regarding the non-secure page... however, I am able to demonstrate that images will still not preview when posting a PM.

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

Ah ok, I see what the problem is. I'll correct it so uploaded images preview fine in Chrome too.

Cliff, the above image in my post appeared just fine when I previewed this post, so thanks for fixing that. I suspect the still existing preview issue with PMs is related.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2021 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, haven't checked PMs yet (it's a different preview system).
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2021 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11609 posts
Member since Jan 99

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Having this issue in Firefox on a Mac, with several older threads (apparently secure page not showing insecure images?

Solved as well.

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2021 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

Solved as well.

Confirmed, thanks!
bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2021 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff, thanks for looking into these niggly problems for us. Though my pictures didn't preview, they did finally post just fine. Thanks again for all you do for this forum.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock