Only seen this done once on a Fiero... by Kitskaboodle
Started on: 10-11-2021 04:22 PM
Replies: 12 (680 views)
Last post by: Notorio on 11-20-2021 10:47 PM
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2021 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just remembering a very cool and cheap upgrade I saw once on a Fiero back in 2004 when I first got in to Fiero’s. I have always wondered why more Fiero people have not done it? Here it is: (sorry, no pics)

Anyways, there was guy at the 2004 Fiero Wesfest in Truckee that had an led wired in to the end of each mirror. (Just the round end was sticking out beyond the mirror body) When he put his turn signals on, they would of course blink bright red. As you know many newer cars have this as it adds additional safety when changing lanes. Since Fiero’s ((and lowered Fiero’s) aren’t that easy to see, I’m surprised more Fiero owners have not considered this upgrade. It’s more of a labor issue than money of course.
Do you know of anyone that has done this also? I have never seen another like it in the Fiero world.
Kit
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2021 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can’t say that is something I would want to do.. but that is just me.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2021 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had LEDs in my mirror shells since 2008.

Three in a row below the glass and above the bottom of the shell.

They really stand out when the signal is on, otherwise they are invisible.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2021 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car's that come w/ them have been "Approved" by US DOT and NHTSA but I still can't find them in FMVSS 108 covers all vehicle external lights or any other section. A Large Problem w/ 108 is A lot in that section is full of reference to many SAE doc's behind SAE paywall. Only a few are "pirated" and available to the public but even those often point to more SAE doc's.
Somewhere in/on them is they should have DOT/SAE codes that show the function and more covered in my Cave, Lighbulbs at bottom. Can be a short DOT label you easy see then complete label on back, inside of mirror assembly, etc. similar to Fiero side markers.

I wanted to add this to Fiero OE outside mirrors years ago and posted here somewhere in the archives now but long ago cancel that plan knowing several "small towns" I drive thru has cops that will stop you for light problems or illegal lights and any other legal reason to stop and ticket just to generate $. Bonus when they find any reason to arrest you after stopping you.

Even ignore that... have to be "aimed" right or at night LED's there can make it harder to see outside. Worse outside of town or anywhere that doesn't have street lights, signs, etc lighting up everything.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 10-13-2021).]

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2021 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks I did this in 2006, drilled holes in the mirror housing and wired 7 2volt leds in series.

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

its hard to take good pix, you hardly see them when off and they have a more orange shine when on.

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2021 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have 1 of 2 types of blinking mirrors...

From Top Post... "When he put his turn signals on, they would of course blink bright red."
Most often mean lights/LEDs around or even Thru the mirror to view from the rear of car.

OE installed setups often have Narrow View to see them by people behind and more so for the sides. Example: If OEM uses LED around mirrors is likely to putout nearly all light < 10° or 15°

LEDs or Lights installed poorly by DIY in that setup can put a lot of light flooding side glass making hard to see at night. Really crap DIY job can even flash the driver and make in hard to see anything thru other glass and windshield at night. Light Dazzling doesn't go away instantly just because light are off and F'd Night Vision for many seconds to many minutes at best.

Thru the Mirrors?
Requires Special Mirrors made for LEDs behind them. Often only larger SUV Vans etc w/ large mirrors can have these.
Seems to work so others can see you but never driven vehicle w/ this setup so can't say if have problems at night.
While Might not blind you but may not have a good view in a mirror either when turn signal is on.

Side Note: That why NHTSA has/had huge numbers of complaints for "Blinding" drivers from Yellow/Amber Turns Light on the Back of cars in the US. Many are way too bright from the factory or people installing wrong bulbs even before "upgrading" to whatever fad. You don't want 2357 bulb is Rear Amber fixture made for 2057 or 1157 for that reason.
Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2021 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:
there was guy at the 2004 Fiero Wesfest in Truckee that had an led wired in to the end of each mirror. (Just the round end was sticking out beyond the mirror body) When he put his turn signals on, they would of course blink bright red. As you know many newer cars have this as it adds additional safety when changing lanes.
Kit

Neat idea, but they should be yellow or amber since they are on the sides of the vehicle.

Originally posted by olejoedad:

I've had LEDs in my mirror shells since 2008.

Three in a row below the glass and above the bottom of the shell.

They really stand out when the signal is on, otherwise they are invisible.

Very cool.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2021 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Skybax:
Neat idea, but they should be yellow or amber since they are on the sides of the vehicle.
Wrong when LED point for Rear Viewing to emulate Many Recent Models.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2021 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My LEDs are red.

And they are DOT approved. ( Danged Old Troublemaker )

😉

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 10-28-2021).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2021 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LED's are mainly unidirectional lights, meaning that if viewed from the side they may have little brilliance and hardly be seen.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2021 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
LED's are mainly unidirectional lights, meaning that if viewed from the side they may have little brilliance and hardly be seen.
that often depend on just How the Chip is made, the mounting base design and and plastic over all that.

Yellow above looks very diffused and if true likely have a Very wide viewing angle.

Clear plastic leds of any color often have view angles in the specs because Metal piece the chip in on and shape of plastic can focus the light in different.
Common angles just for clear 3 and 5mm thru hole are 120° 30° even 15°
Common for surface mount and some others is 90°

Other shapes the plastic bends light so a lot of output is to sides.

Clear Thru hole w/ rectangles cases can see 2 angles depending on design.
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2021 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did this to my car back in 2004 but doubt it was my car you saw.

Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2021 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

Can’t say that is something I would want to do.. but that is just me.

This is something I would be interested in, especially if it was offered as a kit.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock