Started on: 09-13-2021 12:49 PM
Replies: 26 (679 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 10-01-2021 10:01 AM
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2021 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a very interesting weekend.

I have been a Fiero owner for going on 37 years. I have seen all the stages of owners ship and popularity of the Fiero.

When I bought the car I was the local celebrity. It could have been a Ferrari and I would have drawn the same crowd.

Then the 90’s came and I became the local guy who became the idiot who bought one of those crap cars.

Then over the last 20 years the popularity has risen slowly.

Finally Sunday I was invited to a high end concourse event. They had a wide range of. Cars but the brand with the most makes was Ferrari.

The crowd was a mix of the upper crust, the regular car people and locals just there to visit.

This was my 6th event there and I have gone mostly ignored or missed till this year. I had a number of people of all types come up and just made a fuss over a Fiero with million dollar exotic just feet away.

Driving in one of the event organizers told me to follow a 308. He said follow the Fiero kit car making fun of the Ferrari. I had two other organizers stop and look at my car and said oh you are a Pontiac!

I had the number of adults that said I had one, wanted one or had a friend with one. A number said I forgot they made these and they were cool.

The thing that got me was there were a number of young kids in their early 20’s that walked passed the prince muscle cars and hot rods to get pictures of the Fiero. They loved the car. Many said I have heard about these but never need on or never seen one in good shape.

I normally just do Pontiac shows so I miss these non Pontiac interactions.

With the reactions and comments in feel we may be on the verge of an increased awareness and desire for our car if we could just be seen and heard from.

While I know we will not realize Shelby numbers I do expect we will see competitive prices with other top cars of the 80’s. These $14k prices are not a fluke.

I see many of these kids coming into money in the next 10 years and they will show interest in good low mile cars. No offense to cars needing work but finding parts will hamper future resto efforts unless we get more support. That is not just us but most cars as even prime muscle cars can be bought for less than they cost to restore.

Now yes we still have variables. Things like viruses, emission laws and the like to deal with in the future,

But I find it encouraging that as many of the classics are seeing a decline in values the interest in our cars is growing with the next group up with disposable income.

I have been watching this for a long time and this is the greatest shift I have seen.

The next ten years could be interesting.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2021 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Brian D

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2021 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian DSend a Private Message to Brian DEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's supercool. Love the car. Is that the original DGP body kit? I got into my first Fiero in '92 and have been out of the Fiero game since 2005 when I sold my '88GT. I spent the last year searching for my next Fiero and watched prices hit levels I never imagined. Personally I am really excited to see their popularity come back. There is a classic car show at the local country club in two weeks. I may just have to show off the new GT.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2021 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is really great. Nice to see Fieros getting some positive attention. The new mid-engine Vette and the F&F 9 movie has opened the eyes of the public to the Fiero.

The "Ignoring $$$$$ cars for the inexpensive cars" thing; A few years ago I went to a "Cars & Coffee" event up near Sacramento, CA....Approx' 100 cars (Muscle car, new Camaros, hot rods, British sports cars, etc) Towards the end of the event, a Ferrari 355 drove into the lot- followed by an Autozam AZ-1, which is a very small Japanese-only MR car....3 cylinder engine, gullwing doors......NOBODY even looked at the Ferrari- they all gathered around the AZ-1 and checked it out....I thought that was really cool.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2021 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

Many said I have heard about these but never need on or never seen one in good shape.

Many people say they dont often see ones in good shape. I'm all for folks with nice Fieros getting them out to events to be witnessed.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 09-23-2021).]

BadNewsBrendan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2021 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BadNewsBrendanSend a Private Message to BadNewsBrendanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome story. I have noticed similar things no matter what genre of the car community an event is. I drove mine to Gridlife which is a Time Attack, wheel to wheel, and drift event for those of you who don't know. The scene is mostly younger JDM and track car fans. I couldn't drive 10 feet in the camp site without people yelling "Fiero!!!!" or something similar and multiple people came up to me asking about it and telling their stories about their experiences with Fieros. Meanwhile i am checking out all the incredible track and drift cars since I have only seen similar cars on the internet

And not to mention the fact that mine is very far from good shape and I bought it for $550...

------------------
"America is all about speed, hot nasty bad-ass speed" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Tetanus
1984 3800 II SC Build

[This message has been edited by BadNewsBrendan (edited 09-22-2021).]

RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2021 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The thing that got me was there were a number of young kids in their early 20’s that walked passed the prince muscle cars and hot rods to get pictures of the Fiero. They loved the car. Many said I have heard about these but never need on or never seen one in good shape.

Yup. The 32 year old guy who won the E-bay auction said the same thing you did. The 'kids" are willing to put up good money for excellent condition examples. They are NOT interested in restorations.

FWIW, I really didn't want to let it go but I had to sell mine due to the embarrassing contortions I needed to get OUT of it at age 70, with a bad hip.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2021 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RayOtton:

FWIW, I really didn't want to let it go but I had to sell mine due to the embarrassing contortions I needed to get OUT of it at age 70, with a bad hip.

Was it your daily driver?
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2021 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Was it your daily driver?

No, weekends only.

It just reached a point where I looked ridiculous getting out. Think Giraffe drinking water but in reverse.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2021 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Brian D:

That's supercool. Love the car. Is that the original DGP body kit? I got into my first Fiero in '92 and have been out of the Fiero game since 2005 when I sold my '88GT. I spent the last year searching for my next Fiero and watched prices hit levels I never imagined. Personally I am really excited to see their popularity come back. There is a classic car show at the local country club in two weeks. I may just have to show off the new GT.

No it is the Pegasus Engineering FX kit.

It was ripped off the DGP stage 1 as they added ribs.

They are rare as the guy did not ship many parts and got busted for federal interstate fraud. I have only seen two others years ago.

The Indy scoop is a real DGP.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2021 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hyperv6

5995 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by RayOtton:

Yup. The 32 year old guy who won the E-bay auction said the same thing you did. The 'kids" are willing to put up good money for excellent condition examples. They are NOT interested in restorations.

It is the smart move as so often anymore if you restore a car right you will have as much or more in a restoration. Be it a Fiero or GTO.

There are so many low mile Fieros coming out of storage with the price increases it makes them a very smart option.
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2021 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hyperv6

5995 posts
Member since Mar 2003
Something else that is growing is Radwood. The shows that feature 80’s cars and style are getting more common around the country and the Fiero will be a prime car to have for the event.
jonrev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2021 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jonrevClick Here to visit jonrev's HomePageSend a Private Message to jonrevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I attended Radwood Chicago last month. Of everyone I spoke with about my car that day, the Fiero struck a noticeably stronger chord with people my age (I'm 30) and younger.

[This message has been edited by jonrev (edited 09-23-2021).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2021 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When we attend Somerville, NJ cruise nights I regularly get compliments on my 87GT 3800. The timeless styling seems to attract people. Due to the mid engine design, some believe that its a Ferrari.
I don't see that the hobby is growing in popularity. With the attendance of cruise nights every Friday (Memorial to Labor day) occasionally reaching over 400, I only saw one Fiero there in over 20 years going. The car has never been very popular in this affluent state.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2021 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I don't see that the hobby is growing in popularity. With the attendance of cruise nights every Friday (Memorial to Labor day) occasionally reaching over 400, I only saw one Fiero there in over 20 years going.

For some of us, though, that is part of the appeal. There's probably 50 Mustangs there, and only one Fiero. I like being the only guy with a Fiero.

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2021 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well you have to consider some things. Most of the cars that are in the greatest numbers in the tuner crowd are still in production.

Two most Fieros that are seen are dead in yards and driveways. The most common comment I never saw one this good. We here know there are many in good low mile condition but they are spread out in garages

The Fiero is never going to be a dominate car in the Tuner groups as they are just not that many to dominate these groups

Same for the MR2 as they are in a similar state with even fewer cars.
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2021 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I was 15, I happened to stumble upon a black fiero GT on facebook market place, while looking for an mr2. I have never even heard or seen one before. I was really just looking at cars back then to see what I wanted to get once I got a job and some money. I knew for sure after that, minus a ludicrous deal on another car, I was going to get a fiero. When I finally got just enough money to buy one for $800, of course not running. I spent the next several months learning, reading, and experimenting to get it running. It ended up being the ECU, and some other things that made it unable to drive even when running. I now have owned it for over a year (I am 17), and it is now my daily. I love being unique, which was one of the main reasons I got it. My friends all judged me at first on my decision, but later came to respect it. I have yet to see another GT in real life, and I have only seen 2 other fieros in my life. I was expecting to be made fun of at car meets, but it seems everyone is pretty accepting of it.

Heres some pictures:

[This message has been edited by Xenoblast (edited 09-27-2021).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2021 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xenoblast:

When I was 15, I happened to stumble upon a black fiero GT on facebook market place, while looking for an mr2. I have never even heard or seen one before. I was really just looking at cars back then to see what I wanted to get once I got a job and some money. I knew for sure after that, minus a ludicrous deal on another car, I was going to get a fiero. When I finally got just enough money to buy one for $800, of course not running. I spent the next several months learning, reading, and experimenting to get it running. It ended up being the ECU, and some other things that made it unable to drive even when running. I now have owned it for over a year (I am 17), and it is now my daily. I love being unique, which was one of the main reasons I got it. My friends all judged me at first on my decision, but later came to respect it. I have yet to see another GT in real life, and I have only seen 2 other fieros in my life. I was expecting to be made fun of at car meets, but it seems everyone is pretty accepting of it.

Heres some pictures:

Nice pic! Check out Fiero events to meet up with alot of other owners

https://www.facebook.com/midwestfieroclubs
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2021 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just moved to florida like a month or two ago, otherwise I would be joining. Thanks tho!
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2021 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Xenoblast

274 posts
Member since May 2020

I just moved to florida like a month or two ago, otherwise I would be joining. Thanks tho!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2021 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Florida used to have an active club or two, still might. MidwestFieroClubs shares many events across the counrty and puts on the Anniversary events.

Here is a thread listing alot of clubs
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/094690.html
PFF
System Bot
Rhodesia1977

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2021 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rhodesia1977Send a Private Message to Rhodesia1977Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jonrev:

I attended Radwood Chicago last month. Of everyone I spoke with about my car that day, the Fiero struck a noticeably stronger chord with people my age (I'm 30) and younger.

Most of the kids born around 2005 (many whose parents are X Geners) have a real fascination with anything 1980's. So there's that. Also, the 1980's was the coolest time to grow up in!!!
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2021 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rhodesia1977:
Most of the kids born around 2005 (many whose parents are X Geners) have a real fascination with anything 1980's. So there's that. Also, the 1980's was the coolest time to grow up in!!!

That is what I noted. They are about the 80’s like the 80’s kids like me were about the 60’s. We all wanted GTO’s and SS Chevys. Also they were affordable to us.

The Fiero is affordable but is some what related to the tuner cars of today too. I think that is how they see it.
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2021 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ironically it seems most people my age have a really hugh fascination with keeping old cars completely stock, I.E. replacing parts if OEM parts, restoring it to how it would be in the showroom floor. If you go up in age even 5-10 years, its all about tuning and customizing the cars. One if my friends even goes as far as having an genuine toyota oil filter for that purpose. Also this only applies for older cars, any car newer then 1995 has a wing and chambered out wheels thrown on it

[This message has been edited by Xenoblast (edited 09-30-2021).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2021 06:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ironically it seems most people my age have a really hugh fascination with keeping old cars completely stock, I.E. replacing parts if OEM parts, restoring it to how it would be in the showroom floor. If you go up in age even 5-10 years, its all about tuning and customizing the cars. One if my friends even goes as far as having an genuine toyota oil filter for that purpose. Also this only applies for older cars, any car newer then 1995 has a wing and chambered out wheels thrown on it

Not sure what your age is but I see this but often it is regional. Often it just depends where you live as to trends.

Then also like the Radwood people they like stock or parts from the era. It is kind of like doing a hot rod in the *50’s’ style. While others may go modern and use all modern parts.

One thing that may play into this too is getting an all original car is cheaper and easier way to go. More up front money but cheaper in the long run. A lot of people bought and parked 80’s cars in hopes of owning the next big dollar car only to find they are not that rare.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 09-30-2021).]

Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2021 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not sure what your age is but I see this but often it is regional. Often it just depends where you live as to trends.

Thats true. Im realizing now that here in florida now it seems there is less respect for cars and every car is straight piped, although I have yet to go to a car meet here so thats not really fair for me to say. Also I am 17

[This message has been edited by Xenoblast (edited 09-30-2021).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2021 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That is cool and will preserve history and quality examples.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock