Replacing the 86 radio by dayv27
Started on: 09-11-2021 11:27 PM
Replies: 9 (261 views)
Last post by: Curtisk1060 on 10-01-2021 08:45 PM
dayv27

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2021 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dayv27Send a Private Message to dayv27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was really excited about buying cassette tapes and playing them, popped the first one in, and….. nope. Didn’t work.
Just keeps flipping over and doesn’t play. I’ve seen some of the how to take your tape deck apart and rebuild tutorial videos, and it’s just beyond my capabilities.
1factoryradio.com had the stock radios with the Bluetooth add on, but are out of stock and not restocking the one I have in now. I’m looking to keep my 86 2m6 se as factory correct as possible or close to it.
I’ve seen this: https://1factoryradio.com/1...-bluetooth-16231672/
Style radio in some 88 Fieros so while it may not be 100%, it’s at least 95% correct to the car.

So the question is, has anyone used 1factory radio? Are they legit?

How easy is the swap? Is it just unscrew, unplug, replug, rescrew?

Any other suggestions?

All of the eBay options for this style radio: https://www.ebay.com/itm/84...id=711-127632-2357-0
Come up as don’t work or need a factory code to work.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2021 04:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Replacementradios.com may have what you need. 1996-2003 Pontiac Grand Prix radio with cassette or CD fit. Almost plug and play. Definitely plug and play if you buy their adapter cable that converts the '86 radio plug in your SE to the '96-03 radio. Suggest you get the 1/8" plug so you can plug in any phone or media device.

I have one in my cars and they work very well.
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2021 04:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mike in Sydney

657 posts
Member since Sep 2011
omitted. Duplicate post.

[This message has been edited by Mike in Sydney (edited 09-12-2021).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2021 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[sub][/sub]I have done the swap to the Gran Prix CD radio. Like stated above it is a generally pain free swap. It also is a better radio as the original Fiero radios have been problem units in many cases.

It fits, looks factory and retains the red lighting to keep with the Pontiac dash theme. Few people outside diehard Pontiac fans notice it is not factory.

I got mine new off EBay.

The Harness helps other side you need to do a wire swap. I forget what ones off the top of my head but there are instructions on the web on how to do this.

Note the cassette radios tend to have issues with the belts as they age. You may do best with a CD player that is new or reconditioned. Also having a good cassette is more and more difficult as where you can still burn good CDs with better sound.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 09-12-2021).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2021 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Upgrading to the later Pontiac radio is an easy job. It mounts directly. You may have to relocate the rubber nipple on the back of the radio to fit into the metal support bracket in the deep recesses of the console. That nipple just keeps the radio from bouncing up and down and breaking the front mount holes in your already-fragile console skeleton.

No need to cut and splice factory harnesses. ReplacementRadios.Com has the harness adapter you need. I've done a few conversions and this is absolutely plug and play.

https://replacementradios.c...054a2818d79c5b0b307b

Crutchfield.Com used to ge a good source for factory radios like hyperv6 mentions, but it seems they've changed directions a bit. This style radio uses the adapter harness I listed above and the face and display color is Fiero correct, including Delco PONTIAC molded into the upper left of the faceplate.

[URL=https://www.ebay.com/itm/184355182326?fits=Year%3A2000%7CModel%3AGrand+Prix&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item2aec6cd6f6:g:iPQAAOSwGllaX~YK&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACoPYe5NmHp%252B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsS7UXID%252BRPOSNsnm8kYPghtGRwAwFp9seRkVIjEuej29A1 so6cX]https://www.ebay.com/itm/18...seRkVIjEuej29A1so6cX[/URL]

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 09-12-2021).]

NightMare Cruiser

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2021 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2021 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a mint 1986 Fiero Delco radio with casette, check your PM...

[This message has been edited by Skybax (edited 09-12-2021).]

rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2021 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a Firebird radio in my Fiero and I installed a bluetooth receiver behind the radio.
My phone instantly connects to the head unit when the car is on and I don't have to worry about carrying CDs around or messing around with aux cables.
Plus it came with a mic as well so I can make and receive calls too.
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2021 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
let me know if you need a new skeleton as i reproduce them .
Curtisk1060

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2021 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Curtisk1060Send a Private Message to Curtisk1060Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just go to the for sale part of Pennocks and get one from Fiero Tom, he sells what you need. I would get one with the aux input as you can then utilize satellite if you want in the future with siriusXM, just a thought as I did that with my 88gt for the 35th anniversary trip.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock