Brackets for 13 inch front rotors and corvette calipers for a 1988 by coolink13
Started on: 08-28-2021 09:12 AM
Replies: 19 (389 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 09-07-2021 10:06 AM
coolink13

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2021 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coolink13Send a Private Message to coolink13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just as the Title says . That's what I need . I have wilwood corvette calipers and 13 inch corvette rotors I think C5, cant remember? Can't find anyone that makes these? Was hoping someone may chime in with information. 1988 only.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2021 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't know if this helps but Chris has a kit:
http://www.embraceracing.co...erobrakebrackets.php

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 08-28-2021).]

coolink13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2021 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coolink13Send a Private Message to coolink13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you IMSA for the prompt response. I have contacted them with 3 emails as far back as 2 months and no response. I wish they had a phone number.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2021 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can try his other website. I'm not sure which one he uses:
https://via-autoworks.my-on...002281_20747110.aspx

Edit.....nevermind, it says NOT for use with 88

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 08-28-2021).]

sluppy123

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2021 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I make adapters for pre 88 cars that use the 13" c5 rotors and calipers. Unfortunately the 13" c5 rotors will not fit on 88's. The offset is to large and they hit the control arm.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2021 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sluppy123:

I make adapters for pre 88 cars that use the 13" c5 rotors and calipers. Unfortunately the 13" c5 rotors will not fit on 88's. The offset is to large and they hit the control arm.

You were the first person I was going to recommend but for some reason, I thought you stopped making those.
coolink13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2021 06:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coolink13Send a Private Message to coolink13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sluppy123, Can the control are be modified slightly to work? I hate to even suggest this,
What about a wheel spacer? I contacted you a while back. Check your messages.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2021 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fieroguru has 13" brake setup for 88's.

The kit is well done.
coolink13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2021 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coolink13Send a Private Message to coolink13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know about that kit that Fieroguru has. I don't think his kit works with vette calipers. Just the stock Fiero calipers.
sluppy123

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2021 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fieroguru's kit uses a 13" enclave rotor, it's offset clears the control arms but is to thing to be used with the c5 calipers.

You would need to cut off half the balljoint to clear a 13" c5 rotor on a 88 .
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2021 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sluppy123:

Fieroguru's kit uses a 13" enclave rotor, it's offset clears the control arms but is to thing to be used with the c5 calipers.

You would need to cut off half the balljoint to clear a 13" c5 rotor on a 88 .

I prefer to say it uses the rear rotors from the GM Lambda platform: Outlook, Acadia, Enclave & Traverse.

This just shy of 13" C5 rotor will clear the 88 front lower control arm w/o any issue. I would never recommend using the C5 front caliper in a Fiero application though.
PFF
System Bot
coolink13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2021 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coolink13Send a Private Message to coolink13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you to everyone that responded. It looks like I may have to go in a different direction. Probably Go with Fiero Guru set up. Half a setup The Fronts.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2021 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is strongly recommended to do all four corners to maintain proper balance to the system.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2021 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

It is strongly recommended to do all four corners to maintain proper balance to the system.

Yes. This.

The 88 Fiero brake system already seems to be biased towards the front (at least on my cars).
Please consider buying the whole set, and don't upset the balance.
coolink13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2021 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coolink13Send a Private Message to coolink13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My question is now this? If I'm able to fit my willwood SL5C6 on the front with a bracket. And My rotors which are 12.80 . I should be able to use a adjustable proportioning valve ?
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2021 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by coolink13:

My question is now this? If I'm able to fit my willwood SL5C6 on the front with a bracket. And My rotors which are 12.80 . I should be able to use a adjustable proportioning valve ?

The short answer is No. That would result in a significant brake downgrade.

Those calipers are 48% larger than stock 88, so they will increase the front caliper clamp force by 48% for a given pedal pressure. This typically means to stop the car like normal, will result in 48% less pedal pressure applied (feels like great brakes!), but with 48% less pedal pressure, there will also be 48% less contribution from the stock rear brake calipers. So, all you have done is shift the vast majority of the braking to to the front... this is not a brake upgrade. If you would drive this setup aggressively (like on a road course), the front tires will have to do nearly all the braking (and turning), which will heat them up quicker and eventually make them too hot to effectively stop or steer the car leading you to slow down or change tires.

You want the fronts and rears to each contribute their fair share to the stopping, turning and accelerating forces so they run about the same temperature. This is also why the idea tire stagger front/rear matches the weight distribution front/rear. The stock brake bias on the 88s does this very well, especially when you run an ideal tire width stagger. There are times when boosting the rear brakes is a benefit (like when the rear tires are taller than the fronts), but you want to make sure not to go too far. Having the rears lock up before the fronts on a Fiero is very, very bad...
coolink13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2021 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coolink13Send a Private Message to coolink13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Guru for your always detailed answers. If match a similar caliper to my rears I would think it may be possible? Or I Use my 12 inch kit that I have and buy the fronts from FieroGuru. That is if set can be split to just the fronts?
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2021 05:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thank you Guru for your always detailed answers. If match a similar caliper to my rears I would think it may be possible? Or I Use my 12 inch kit that I have and buy the fronts from FieroGuru. That is if set can be split to just the fronts?

If you bump up the size of the rear caliper to match, you will likely lose your parking brake and have to upsize the master to better match the fluid flow requirements of the new calipers. As you upsize the master, you start losing some of the 48% gain the larger calipers provide. Success in this path requires properly sizing the master and coming up with a parking brake solution.
coolink13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2021 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coolink13Send a Private Message to coolink13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Fieroguru for the advice. A have a plan of attack. I was aware of the ebrake. But thanks for pointing that out. Any recommendations for a master. Possibly of of a corvette?
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2021 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thank you Fieroguru for the advice. A have a plan of attack. I was aware of the ebrake. But thanks for pointing that out. Any recommendations for a master. Possibly of of a corvette?

No recommendations for master.
Generally speaking, I don't help people with technical information to go down a path I don't recommend.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock