LS4/4T65EHD Fiero by lsfiero
Started on: 08-27-2021 02:33 PM
Replies: 3 (171 views)
Last post by: qwikgta on 09-06-2021 12:09 AM
lsfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2021 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lsfieroClick Here to Email lsfieroSend a Private Message to lsfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I first want to start off by saying thank you to everyone on this site. Pennock and everyone showing their builds. There is soo much good information here it's unreal. This 87 GT has been on my watchlist for a long time. I mean a loooong time. I first seen this car when i was about 12 (31 now) riding my bike around with my friends. It was a friend of mines uncle that owned it. I know for a fact it hadn't moved the entire time I've known of its existence. Well about 5 years ago I had the opportunity to buy it and I jumped on it. I probably should have talked him down a little bit but it was the one I've been wanting for a decade and a half so i had to get it. No title or keys. It took me 8 months to track down and speak to the original title holder (not the guy I bought it from) but he, thankfully, applied for a new title and signed it over to me. (I sent him $ for fees to re-apply and some gas money)

Yes it did come with wheels i just needed to use them at that point in time to move my parts car

Parts car doesn't have a title either and its been hit in the drivers side (door had been replaced)

I had big hopes for the black one but when I dropped the oil, about 2 gallons of antifreeze came out with it so the car sat for about 4 years while I located a motor I wanted to put in it. I had a 3800SC lined up but the price wasn't right and couldn't talk them down. About a year ago, after not looking for a motor for months, I randomly got on Craigslist and looked again. There was a LS4 motor , tranny, & harness for the right price so again I had to have it haha.

Yeeeaaa let's get this party started!

From then til now has been an awesome ride and I want to share it with everyone I've found inspiration from on this site. Now It's not quite up and running yet but it's getting there.

Also I'm slow working on it mainly because I'm preoccupied with work and being a parent so be patient with me lol and I hope you all enjoy my upcoming posts and the build as much as I love searching through the builds on here.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
lsfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2021 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lsfieroClick Here to Email lsfieroSend a Private Message to lsfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The drive train came out of a 2008 Chevy Impala and it was a MESS. I got it all cleaned up and started tearing into it to. It got all new gaskets from my work and a DOD delete kit from AMS Racing. I decided to go with a stock cam even though it would be nice to hear it lope a bit. I'll probably change that later on down the road when I can afford a less restrictive intake and maybe dual exhaust. First I want to make it a reliable 5.3l. It's not going to have A/C (for now) and I will be running an electric water pump.

My dad was helping me this day

Despite it being a grease ball on the outside, it was pretty clean inside. Anyways I got it all put back together with the valve covers swapped and the hoses going to where they should

Please excuse my mess in the backgrounds lol small garage problems..

Next it was time to figure out the alternator. I'm on a pretty strict budget but I have some metal and a welder so I decided to make my own tensioner and alternator bracket. (Sorry Guru) I had to oval out one of the mounting holes on the alternator a little bit to make sure the pulley lined up well with the harmonic ballancer. One bolt mounting the alternator on is going to go through my bracket and into the block.

It was slightly off so i cut it apart and redid it lol I don't want to be constantly tearing up belts. The tensioner is a Gates 38382. It comes with a 7-rib grooved pulley so I used a Gates 38006 smooth pulley. I finally came up with this gem lol.

lsfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2021 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lsfieroClick Here to Email lsfieroSend a Private Message to lsfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Over last winter the rear end of the car was taken apart and the pieces were restored/rebuilt. I took them with me to work and worked on them on my lunches and stayed after quite a few times to get this done.

I used the trunk latch to lift the car even though it is sketchy. The legs of the cherry picker stuck out to far to get any closer to the engine cart i built.

In my opinion, rebuilding the struts is more sketchy than lifting the car by the trunk latch. I had jacks to stop/slow the car from falling on me, if it would have, but there's no stopping a strut that wants to come apart if something fails. Thankfully nothing bad happened.

I wanted to make sure the new engine was going to sit on the cradle properly so I made the decision to buy a kit through West Coast Fiero. This made things soo much easier and sped the process up since I didn't have to build the mounts myself and worry about alignment. The battery tray and dogbone mount were removed. The passenger decklid mount was also modified. I welded the mount at the top and cut out a good sized square to make room for the coil pack. I made a water pump mount out of sheet metal and opened up enough of an area where the battery use to be. The water pump is a Meziere WP116S and will go behind the passenger quarter panel.

With the help of a friend we got the engine fitted to the cradle and the oil filter provision welded in and everything reinforced on the bottom. I had realized the oil drain plug needed to have a spot cut out on the cradle after fitting the engine on it. It was going to make a huge mess every time the oil was changed if this wasn't done. (not pictured) Next we test fit it in the car.

Looks pretty good to me. It was then removed and the cradle and engine bay prepped for paint.

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2021 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaClick Here to Email qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great, love the alt bracket.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock