CARB (CA Smog) Approval for 4.9 swap? by Notchback Noob
Started on: 08-18-2021 11:42 AM
Replies: 10 (432 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 08-27-2021 09:35 PM
Notchback Noob

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2021 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Notchback NoobSend a Private Message to Notchback NoobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone gotten a CARB sticker for their 4.9 swap from the smog referee? I got a BMW swap approved through them and while it was a pain it was so awesome being legit and not having to find a dirty smog shop.

I'm about to buy a donor deville to start my 4.9 swap and wanted to see if anyone had accomplished that with this swap.

Thank you!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2021 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if you will get a CARB sticker or simply have to register the car as "special construction".
Notchback Noob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2021 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Notchback NoobSend a Private Message to Notchback NoobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just bought a 91 deville today so I guess I'll find out if I can jump through the CARB hoops when i swap it. I'll report back if I have success!
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2021 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back in the late 90s I installed a 5.0 FI engine in my 1973 mach 1 Mustang.....Needed to get the system to work properly with NO codes, then took it to a referee station and they inspected, tested and certified it...Then applied a sticker to the shock tower and that was it- next smog check, I just took it to test station and everything went smoothly.

I understand you want a specific engine (4.9 Cad') cert' explanation, but I had no trouble (OK, my non-leaking rubber fuel hose started leaking everywhere under positive pressure (vs the negative pressure of the original (Engine based) Fuel pump.

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 08-19-2021).]

imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2021 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I expect you already know that since the 4.9 was never used with a manual transmission, you CANNOT get certification with a manual transmission. I see no reason why an auto trans would not be straightforward, even in the People's Republik of California.

Good luck with the swap!

Larry
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2021 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The California CARB version of the Cadillac 4.9L may be tuned slightly different than the non Carb version. If so, you will probably need to use the ECM with the changes. Should be easy to confirm but as imacflier pointed out, be sure to use the automatic transmission. It fits, works well and its a bolt in install. The 4.9L is an MPFI engine so with a decent size CAT you should pass emission certification.. With no mods to that engine you should also probably get 29-30 hwy mpg and the performance is far better than the 2.8L.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2021 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All the silly CA red tape notwithstanding, my 4.9 used to pass GA smog on a regular basis. As a matter of fact, the only time it didn't pass was when the O2 sensor freaked out and saw "full lean", and caused the PCM to dump fuel in. (It ran so rich that my eyes would burn. Several weeks later, the terminal damage to the catalytic converter became evident.)

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-19-2021).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2021 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

All the silly CA red tape notwithstanding, my 4.9 used to pass GA smog on a regular basis. As a matter of fact, the only time it didn't pass was when the O2 sensor freaked out and saw "full lean", and caused the PCM to dump fuel in. (It ran so rich that my eyes would burn. Several weeks later, the terminal damage to the catalytic converter became evident.)

I could be mistaken but I believe that the California emission standards are far more stringent than in all other states. Over here in NJ cars over 25 yrs old or those classified as collector cars are totally exempt from state inspection. You just register the vehicle as historic or a collector vehicle but again California grants few exemptions. Its very tough on the car enthusiasts over there.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2021 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In most states if you register as collector they require special collector insurance and you cant drive it except at parades and special events.
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2021 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As Dennis states, anything 1995 or older in NJ is inspection / emissions exempt. I have standard plates on my 65 Tempest and as such, I can drive it anywhere any time and do. The 1995 cut off may have more to do with the advent of OBDII than anything else. I guess they figure there just isn't a lot of 1995 and older vehicles out there anymore. On the other hand, if you pony up for the traditional NJ QQ Historic plates then I think there is a mileage limit on those.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2021 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:

In most states if you register as collector they require special collector insurance and you cant drive it except at parades and special events.

My collector car insurance policy limits coverage to 5,000 miles per year. The terms of the policy allow use of the car in parades , car shows cruise nights and for a pleasure drive but not utility use. . You're also allowed to use the car if you're taking it for repair, fuel, car wash, and on the road to check if everything is functioning correctly.
We sometimes drive it up to 200 mi to exhibit at Carlisle and that is permitted use. In short I'm allowed to drive my Fiero to all the places that I wish and have historic plates that do not need monetary renewal . One payment is good for life.

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 08-27-2021).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock