Started on: 06-05-2021 08:20 PM
Replies: 13 (234 views)
Last post by: TheDigitalAlchemist on 06-10-2021 10:56 AM
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2021 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I’m looking at an 84. Dealer says some guy that was looking at the car fiddled with the light motors and now they stay up. If you turn the knob a buncha times that is what happens, right? They don’t go back down...

If I decide to get the car, I will most likely do a repair of the “bushing-mushing” which is probably inside there(did that on most of my previous Fieros) , but if I was to just turn the knob a buncha times, that *should* be all I need to do to make them go down, right?

Gah, I feel like a 45 year old asking how to properly unhook a bra...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2021 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't help you one bit with the headlight issue. I just wanted to say I'm 50 and still can't unhook a bra.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 06-05-2021).]

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2021 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have a wide body Fiero , right?

Man, that is sooooo sexy.

Holy crap

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2021 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

You have a wide body Fiero , right?

Man, that is sooooo sexy.

Holy crap

Yes I do, it's going to get completely redone. I get bored with colors after a few years so it's time for a new paint job.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2021 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Likely has turn knob up And discon the motors.
So won't go down after that.

If motor(s) are "dead" the likely propped the HL up And discon the motors.
So won't go down after that.
And if you connect the motors here... will likely break something. That's if your lucky. Bad Gen1 motors can fry Relay(s), kill the battery or worse.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2021 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Gen 1 headlight motors a were operated by a complex system of relays and switches. The first step would be to test the motors themselves but they are 36 years old and I would start by just removing and rebuilding both of them correctly. Then apply power to test them to make sure that they operate in both directions. The motor relays themselves are not hard to find and I would just replace them as well. After all this is done is time to turn on the headlight switch and see if the headlight motors go up and down. If they do you are home free if not then you will need to check for power at the headlight switch and headlight motor module. Rather than go through the whole process you can find good info on You Tube.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2021 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies!
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2021 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierofool is the expert on this topic. You should do a search and you will see a bunch of his threads. Very informative and detailed...

—Van
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2021 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back in the 90's Oliver Sholtz was the go to guy for Fiero electronics. He put together an extensive headlight motor repair guide that is at the link below. Oliver also explains how the system operates and how to trouble shoot to locate problems. Excellent guide
Fiero Headlight Motor Repair

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2021 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Motors are still available if you want to upgrade to the 87-88 Fiero version. All you need is the newer headlight harness with Module from the pick & pull (All plug & play) . Then go to RockAuto and buy new or remanufactured motors for the 87 or newer Firebird. You'll have to use the right motor on the left side and vise versa. Corvette of the same vintage will work too. Once you have the parts the job can be done in an hour.

https://www.rockauto.com/en...,headlamp+motor,1412

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2021 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info!
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2021 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On my 84, if you unplug the 1 wire connector (the one that looks like the oxygen sensor connector), the motors will run the headlights up, but won't put them back down. If you unplug the motors completely, you can just run them up and down manually, faster if you put a pen in one of the holes to spin it. Definitely recommend the Gen 2 conversion.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2021 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Page 16. How To Rebuild Gen 1 Headlight Motors.

http://gafieroclub.org/pics...sletters/Apr2021.pdf
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2021 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Page 16. How To Rebuild Gen 1 Headlight Motors.

http://gafieroclub.org/pics...sletters/Apr2021.pdf

"With permission only, you can place the case halves and intermediate gear into the dishwasher..."

LOL

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock