Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Radio and Shift Console Surround repair or replacements?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Radio and Shift Console Surround repair or replacements? by Color_cast
Started on: 06-03-2021 11:11 AM
Replies: 7 (265 views)
Last post by: hyperv6 on 06-04-2021 08:20 AM
Color_cast

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2021 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Color_castSend a Private Message to Color_castEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in the middle of gutting the interior of my 87 GT and while everything is out, I"m looking at my rather sad (read: bowed and warped) radio and shift console surrounds. I've seen a few videos about guys that just goop them back into shape, but I tried that on my last fiero and while it was better, it certainly wasn't great. I was wondering if anyone had a source on a place that repaired these to factory new or if someone out there was making replacements. I'm guessing everyone has come across this issue at some point so i'm hoping that someone much better than I am at crafting has come up with a solution.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2021 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No and No.

No factory replacements and gluing has been the only real way to repair them.
Color_cast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2021 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Color_castSend a Private Message to Color_castEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well that's unfortunate. I appreciate the reply. I'll give it another go and hopefully this set comes out better.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2021 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Color_cast:

Well that's unfortunate. I appreciate the reply. I'll give it another go and hopefully this set comes out better.

Almost everyone uses Gorilla Glue and clamps. You just need to put a small strip of wood between the clamp and the vinyl or the clamps will leave permanent marks.

I was looking for a recent thread regarding a repair so I could post it here but I cannot find it.

Edit......JohnWPB did a nice job. See halfway down the page. The final product looks very nice:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...L/083667-6.html#p222

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 06-03-2021).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2021 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The difference I have found is in the condition of the foam inside. If it is just torn away with the plastic it will glue well. If it is in poor condition and rotted away then it will be difficult to glue successfully.

The surrounds I fixed on cars that were in decent conditions have better foam. Those exposed to the elements outside over years are difficult to repair.
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2021 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:
... Almost everyone uses Gorilla Glue and clamps. You just need to put a small strip of wood between the clamp and the vinyl or the clamps will leave permanent marks ...

How long does a repair like this last?
Color_cast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2021 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Color_castSend a Private Message to Color_castEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Notorio:

How long does a repair like this last?

From what I understand, is a permanent fix. Although instead of gorilla glue, I had seen the repair done using automotive goop. I'm sure either is fine, but if the gorilla glue expands slightly, that may be the fix to my issue. Goop does not so when I scraped out the offending foam, it left depressions when I glued things back together resulting in a not smooth appearance.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2021 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use Goop but try too keep the repair to the edge. The foam is what keeps the surface flat and if it gets messed yup it will make it uneven.

I will glue mostly on the edge and where wraps under.

Any marks in the plastic come out if you sit it in the sun a short time.

If done correctly it should hold.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock