87 Fiero Yard Find - not good by rfjeff9
Started on: 05-27-2021 06:31 PM
Replies: 23 (563 views)
Last post by: fishsticks on 06-03-2021 11:16 AM
rfjeff9

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2021 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rfjeff9Send a Private Message to rfjeff9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[IHi, New member here. I have been trying to come up with the ideal hot rod / dad’s midlife crisis toy for a while now since my youngest boy (headed to 7th grade) has shown a marked interest in cars lately, and I thought it would at the same time be a great way to teach him how one works. So I have been on the watch for a really easy project car. I thought about building a kit, but that’s too much money I do not have. An 80s car, though would fit the mold nicely. Not really interested in another fox body mustang, but a Fiero now, that would be pretty slick. Not many of those still on the road, but just exotic and unique enough to be pretty damn cool. So I have been on the lookout for any in my daily travels around Mississippi.

I thought air had found one yesterday, love at first sight when I saw it from the road 50 yards away while driving by. It is almost the exact same at my brother in law had when he married my sister. I used to take it out on Friday and Saturday nights when it was a year or two old. Took it to my sr prom, even. That was a manual, this one automatic. Thought about all yesterday evening and last night. I went back today, with my checkbook.

Alas, I think it’s too far gone. It looked pretty good walking up to it from behind, but the license plate for told a sad story - the last registration was in 2005. Which pretty much means it has been sitting under the oak tree for 16 years. The body was OK, most of the grime could be washed off, a few places they looked bad.

I’m getting a little excited until I start to walk around front and see leaves in the drivers seat. Then the windshield told the story. A football sized hole on the drivers side. The interior has been open to the elements a long time, possibly even up to 16 years. Practically a deal breaker. Mildew on the interior and the drivers manual was still damp when I took it out of the back console. You have to rip the entire interior out and redo, though there may be some pieces worth saving.

So why post here about it? I almost didn’t, I found this site last night in my premature excitement. After this morning, I was ready to forget about it, but I read one thread where it mentioned some parts being really hard to find, so I thought I could at least share the location of this one and post a few pics in case someone thinks it would be worth saving whatever is there and reusing. Who knows, perhaps some is extremely adventurous and would like to take on a major project car.

The lady said it was her nephews and she would call him today to see if he wanted to sell it, but I can’t imagine he would want to hang onto it now, he has to be aware of the interior condition. And she said it didn’t run but seemed to think the repair parts were bought, just not used. I dunno, seems like if it was an easy fix, it would have been and it wouldn’t have sat for 16 years. I think something major enough to not fix.

So here are some pictures in case anyone thinks it would be worth cannibalizing.

And now that my interest and anticipation is up, I will be on the lookout for one that I might be able to grab for myself this year.

MG]https://images.fiero.nl/userimages/rfjeff9/20210527_092538.jpg[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by rfjeff9 (edited 05-27-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fishsticks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2021 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fishsticksSend a Private Message to fishsticksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dunno. I've seen worse (FAR worse) cars brought back to life.

Automotive interior is astoundingly resilient. Things you'd never think would clean up sometimes will.

How big of a project do you want?

[This message has been edited by fishsticks (edited 05-27-2021).]

rfjeff9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2021 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rfjeff9Send a Private Message to rfjeff9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not this big. I want to drive the thing, not spend the next 2 years buying interior stuff, and then fixing whatever caused it to be parked in the first place. A “smaller project” car, if you will. And I wasn’t cool with all the spiders of various type in it, not to mention whatever that was that crawled/slithered under the car when I was walking up to it.

If I had a large enough work area I might go for it, but the small door of a 3 car garage is a fairly small area. That and I could just HEAR the complaints coming from the wife about buying a car in this state.

[This message has been edited by rfjeff9 (edited 05-27-2021).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2021 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rfjeff9:

I wasn’t cool with all the spiders of various type in it...

Heh heh, I like this shot.

rfjeff9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2021 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rfjeff9Send a Private Message to rfjeff9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Serious cringe when I was reaching inside for the owners manual.
Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2021 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I want to drive the thing, not spend the next 2 years buying

That is a project car.

I always tell people in your shoes, buy the nicest car you can find within your budget.

Like an old friend used to say... "for a nickel more you can go first class"

Finding and buying parts for ANY old car is more difficult these days for many reasons.

Plenty of Fiero's out there in good condition for not a lot of money.
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2021 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Based on your explanation, I would look for a nicer one. There are many out there that are already running. Fixing a car you can drive and enjoy as you bring it back to a better condition may be more rewarding.

just my 2 cents.

------------------
Paul

fishsticks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2021 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fishsticksSend a Private Message to fishsticksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not this big. I want to drive the thing, not spend the next 2 years buying interior stuff, and then fixing whatever caused it to be parked in the first place. A “smaller project” car, if you will. And I wasn’t cool with all the spiders of various type in it, not to mention whatever that was that crawled/slithered under the car when I was walking up to it.

If I had a large enough work area I might go for it, but the small door of a 3 car garage is a fairly small area. That and I could just HEAR the complaints coming from the wife about buying a car in this state.

Definitely buy a driver then. WAF (Wife Approval Factor) is usually much better when the car starts out moving under its own power.
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2021 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's the asking price? Does the engine turn over? Does it start?

The interior is not really difficult to restore if the dash is in good condition. I've taken the carpets out on one that I purchased and used hot water and vinegar and then carpet cleaner and a pressure washer to clean them. They came up really well. A few days drying in the NC sun and the mold and mildew was gone. Mr Mike's has great replacement seat upholstery. That's an afternoon's work and you'll have the seats out anyway when you clean the carpet. The headliner and visors are pretty simple to do. but the windshield may be problematic. I replaced one with a new one 6 years ago but I don't know if they are still available.

Rust on the body panels is a non-issue. On the frame, maybe. But if the car has been in MS most of it's life the chances of having a rusty frame frame are probably low.

If you could get it pretty cheap ($1000-1500), then go for it. I would.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2021 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much trouble would it have been to tape a plastic bag over the hole in the windshield?
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2021 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the mileage on that heap?
PFF
System Bot
Illtempered Seabass

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2021 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Illtempered SeabassSend a Private Message to Illtempered SeabassEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd check the floor pans before committing to a car that has seen that much interior water. I bought a car from FL with a sunroof leak. The floor pans need some serious help.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2021 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For what you would spend to get this back on the road you could get a very good driver.

I have seen so many spend more than a good. Car trying to restore cars like this and even then they still are never like a good condition unrestored car.

If this was the car you drove high school or your dad had I would understand but.

It is just not the Fiero anymore. To do a high quality restoration on any car can be more than they are worth unless it is one of the few rare cars of great value.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2021 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Experience has shown that if you buy cheap, you will spend more money and time restoring this car than if you would have spent more for a better car from the gitgo. In simple terms you can spend more now or spend even more later. The exception might be if you can buy that car for the junk price of $100.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2021 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
People claiming can be fix often have little or no clue.
People saying could be fixing But can cost way more then buy another car and eat many hours are more correct.

Why?
Any vehicle w/ cabin open to air and weather likely for Years as this car is...
1. Very Likely will have Major Electrical problems because plugs and more isn't "water proof." The plugs alone are Not even "Weather Resistance" connections that Weather pack and Metri-Pack plugs are.
Plus the Dash, Steering Column and more are under the damage to the windshield here. They can/will rot, often hidden inside, from "rust" exposed to water.
2. Very Likely will have Mold problems under carpet and more you can't see or fix easy w/o pulling the whole cabin apart.
Mold and Mildew cause many Health Problems to people and pets.
Under pads for carpet likely rarely dries out and water allows mold and eats the floor metal too so don't trust "no rust" view from on a car on a lift/jack.

Both are part of Why Insurance Co's Total Flood Cars Automatically.
This is a "Flood Car" even w/o being in a Flood or crash into a river etc.

If you pull that the interior apart, do this Outside and use Real N95 or better mask. Not KN95 and other crap masks that are "popular" protection after last year.
Best is "hard 1/2 face" mask from 3M North/Honeywell etc. that cost a lot more.

The Brakes and more likely have big problems too but not worth bothering until the cabin is pulled out and check for problems above.
Properly restoring Fiero brakes can easily cost $600+ in just parts and that's w/ deep discounts included at AZ AdvanceAuto etc.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

rfjeff9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2021 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rfjeff9Send a Private Message to rfjeff9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dropped by today, the odometer read over 37000, so I guess add a 1 in front. The lady said it was beautiful and ran great before it broke and her husband gave it to their nephew who was a teenager. He was supposed to fix it but never did. So it has sat there for 16 years rotting away.

I took a more detailed look, it’s just bad. Fiberglass chipping away on the edges of the panels. All seals not sealing anything anymore. I THINK the sunroof seal is leaking, which explains the wet owners manual in the console. I don’t think I am prepared for this level of restoration.

I left my number for him to call me in case someone in here might want it for parts or whatever. I’ll maybe at least get a price.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2021 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

the odometer read over 37000, so I guess add a 1 in front.

Or a zero on the end.
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2021 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or maybe you can use it for parts on your real project.
rfjeff9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2021 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rfjeff9Send a Private Message to rfjeff9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, he finally called me back.

He said the engine is busted (has the repair parts already) and still asked for $5000.

My guess is he has t looked at it in 10 years and still thinks it’s solid except for the engine.

I wished him luck.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2021 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wow, he finally called me back.

He said the engine is busted (has the repair parts already) and still asked for $5000.

My guess is he has t looked at it in 10 years and still thinks it’s solid except for the engine.

I wished him luck.

That guy has an overly optimistic view of what is basically a parts car. For $5,000 you should be able to buy a very nice 85-87 Fiero GT. For an 88 or low miles Fiero add a couple of thousand. IMO, this car with a blown engine, unknown trans condition, soaked interior and most likely rusted frame is worth salvage value. If the guy hasn't rebuilt it in 10 years he never will. Its eventual fate is the crusher.
Write a post and place it in the MALL section as "want to buy" You should get some replies.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post06-02-2021 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haven't paid more than 600 for a project Fiero yet out of the 4. You can get a decent one for under 1500. It'll need body and paint though.

I drove home a 600 dollar V8 notch back several hundred miles from out of state at 70 mph with the ac on a couple years ago. I took some good tires and wheels with me to get it. Had to call my chase vehicle to tell her to speed up because she was disappearing from my rear view.
PFF
System Bot
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2021 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

Haven't paid more than 600 for a project Fiero yet out of the 4. You can get a decent one for under 1500. It'll need body and paint though.

I drove home a 600 dollar V8 notch back several hundred miles from out of state at 70 mph with the ac on a couple years ago. I took some good tires and wheels with me to get it. Had to call my chase vehicle to tell her to speed up because she was disappearing from my rear view.

Second this im at an average of 600 out of the 8 i have bought. 6 of those have been in the last year so im not talking back in the day either.

------------------
See my Fiero Proluge on my personal site: http://skywurz.com/node/114
See my GT Build https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/144556.html
See my Wife's 85SE Build https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/144704.html

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2021 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

He said the engine is busted ... and still asked for $5000.

fishsticks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2021 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fishsticksSend a Private Message to fishsticksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holy moly that guy is nuts.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock