Performance parts on the L44 by sillyvain
Started on: 05-17-2021 02:29 AM
Replies: 12 (834 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 05-30-2021 09:18 AM
sillyvain

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2021 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sillyvainSend a Private Message to sillyvainEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys

I am trying to get the maximum HP on my L44. I know that I could swap to a 34000 but I rather keep everything as original as possible.

I know that I will be limited for Horsepower since the Fiero Plenum is not that efficient and I bet that getting performance parts for an old 2.8 V6 will be such a pain.

if I can can at least 180 - 200HP out of the L44 I would be happier than a pig in **** ..

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2021 06:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Plenty you can do to the 2.8 for more HP. Maybe not 200, maybe not even 180 but certainly more than the stock 140.

I did all the recommended mods and documented it here ( scroll about 1/2 way down the page past the usual naysayer BS to get to the meat of the conversation ):

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/139779.html
ron768

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2021 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ron768Send a Private Message to ron768Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is more power to be had. Back when our cars were new, there was a magazine article where the stated purpose was to get rated hp at the rear wheels. I really do wish I had kept that magazine as I do not remember all that was done. The end result was that they got rated hp at the rear wheels which made a big difference in the car. Remember that the Fiero with the V6 when dyoned had 110 hp at the wheels. By building the 2.8 and using 7730 with larger injectors, cam, roller rockers, porting the heads and exhaust, you should do better than that.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2021 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
but for the same money you spend to try to get 180hp you can drop in a N/A 3800 and start with 205hp. If you add the S/C you get 50 more.

Rob
Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2021 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Best way to increase power with the stock V6 is to do all the basic maintenance first, make sure the ignition and fuel systems and filters are 100%, also make sure engine management is optimum and consider a new O2 sensor because many are original with very slow cross counts (buy Denso and avoid Bosch and ACdelco, because Denso used to supply ACdelco but now Bosch supplies ACdelco so both are junk).
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2021 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The easiest, and cheapest way to get 180 to 200hp is NOS or Turbo. The stock 3.4 liter 60 degree V-6 is the biggest naturally aspirated version they made and it had 160bhp at 4600 rpm and roughly 200 ft/lbs torque at around 3600 rpm. So trying to get there with your 2.8 without NOS or positive pressure is impossible. I've seen expensive 2.8 builds that netted just 165bhp.

There was a turbo version of the 3.1 60 degree v6 (very rare) VIN Code V, it only came in the 1989 and 1990 Grand Prix Turbo (just under 4500 made). The engine developed 205HP and 225lb ft of torque. This may not seem like much today as many four cylinder engines far exceed that but for 1989 this was a marvel of modern engineering. Keep in mind for example the top of the line 1990 GTA Trans Am with a 5.7L V8 only made 225HP. Differences over the normally aspirated 3.1L engine do not stop with the factory Garrett T-25 turbo. The iron block iron was added with 20% nickel content to improve strength, very small amount of tin for same. The compression ratio was also lowered to 8.78:1, forged rods were used, strengthened crank, special oil pump, unique intakes, and heads, stainless steel exhaust (unfortunately) and of course factory intercooled. These are hard to find and command a great price because the T-25 is often replaced and other minor upgrades will get yo 250bhp for what amounts to a STOCK installation. Other than some wiring and plumbing mods the engine will bolt right up to the stock mounts and under hood clearance.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2021 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

but for the same money you spend to try to get 180hp you can drop in a N/A 3800 and start with 205hp. If you add the S/C you get 50 more.

Rob

Agree with this. IMO, the 3800 N/A L26 engine provides a good value of cost vs power. The engines were/are plentiful and inexpensive and will a bit of work 215-220 HP is easily achieved. You can probably do this engine swap for less money than you will spend building the L44 to end up with less power.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2021 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Agree with this. IMO, the 3800 N/A L26 engine provides a good value of cost vs power. The engines were/are plentiful and inexpensive and will a bit of work 215-220 HP is easily achieved. You can probably do this engine swap for less money than you will spend building the L44 to end up with less power.

Agreed, for more power the 3800/3800SC are the best options. Engineers and mechanics call it "the best engine GM ever made". It is easy to work on, tough, plentiful, an easy fit for the Fiero, and conversion kits are available to make it easier to do the swap if you have some basic skill in mechanics and auto electrics.

But the 3.1 Turbo wins cool points for sure.
Honest Don

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2021 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Honest DonSend a Private Message to Honest DonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sillyvain:

Hey guys

I am trying to get the maximum HP on my L44. I know that I could swap to a 34000 but I rather keep everything as original as possible.

I know that I will be limited for Horsepower since the Fiero Plenum is not that efficient and I bet that getting performance parts for an old 2.8 V6 will be such a pain.

if I can can at least 180 - 200HP out of the L44 I would be happier than a pig in **** ..

I suggest a welding class at the local CC and proper engine management.

sillyvain

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2021 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sillyvainSend a Private Message to sillyvainEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be happy with with 160 or 165 HP+ and I want to keep the sound of the factory exhaust it sounds so good.

I want to keep the car as original as possible plus an engine swap will put my Fiero will be off the road for a while since finding an experience mechanic to do these types of swaps is impossible.

I don't want to damage my car during a swap since finding replacing body parts is a pain in the @ss especially in Canada.

I had a 2010 Camaro RS/SS with a 6 speed 2 years ago and yes it's fast but I wasn't my thing. All my life I owned Citation X-11, Chevrolet Beretta GT's Cavalier Z24's and I am used to these type of cars.

Here is the photos of my car and you will see why I don't want to risk damaging it..

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by sillyvain (edited 05-24-2021).]

RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2021 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sillyvain:
I would be happy with with 160 or 165 HP+ and I want to keep the sound of the factory exhaust it sounds so good.

Yep, that's what I figure I got with all my mods. Cost was about $800 for parts and a bunch of elbow grease.

PFF
System Bot
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2021 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Honest Don:
I suggest a welding class at the local CC and proper engine management.

^this. you can fool around with the 2.8, then when it lets the smoke out, you have the tools and hopefully the experience to make it what it should be.

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

cognita semper

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2021 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I was wanting to get the most of out the 2.8 w/o pulling the heads or dropping the cradle, these are the areas I would go after.

Dawg intake modification: Eliminates the upper plenum neck restriction while looking bone stock.

Loudias middle/lower intake modification: - relatively easy way to bypass the issue of the fiero runners being too long and gives you more flow at higher RPMs.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/142715.html

Ported stock manifolds: Remove the factory exhaust restriction

1.6 rockers with appropriate springs

high flow cat and exhaust.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 05-30-2021).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave