New User by sillyvain
Started on: 05-15-2021 02:49 AM
Replies: 4 (149 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 05-17-2021 07:29 AM
sillyvain

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2021 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sillyvainSend a Private Message to sillyvainEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey there,

I am new here and I just bought myself a 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT and I wanted to introduce myself.

I live in Canada in the province of Ontario in the Ottawa area.

First thing I will buy is a Factory GM Service manual and a Illustrated manual as well.

I am sure the parts are hard to find especially for an 1988 but its going to be a challenge.

I seen a video on Youtube how an upgrade to an S10 brake master booster is a good thing but I am am not going to race this car at all. Just a car I will drive on sunny days.

I will keep everything original including the factory cassette and I am trying to find the subwoofer kit along with the switch and the amplifier and the original wiring and that will be a challenge..

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2021 03:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome and keeping it original might pay off in long run as i ended up with a heavily modded car that only i like.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 05-15-2021).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2021 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sillyvain:
I seen a video on Youtube how an upgrade to an S10 brake master booster is a good thing but I am am not going to race this car at all. Just a car I will drive on sunny days.
You don't need that crap.
Pushed by people w/ brake problems w/o a clue what's wrong claiming all types of BS.
You'll find YT and others have a lot of this garbage for every model and brand.

88 Fiero is different or same depending what a problem is.
Most of Brake section in my Cave, Brake Service still applies to 88 but not all or some parts are different like caliper shells and sliders.
Example: 88 brakes have different load points and sliders take a lot more load vs old sliders but still need Brake Grease so can slid under brake loads or will have problems. Yet Many fools install them dry or use wrong lube and sliders bind and fail to move.
Not just Fiero or GM cars but many other cars from many brands. Kia and other have SS springs/shims @ ends of pads... SS doesn't rust but pad ends and brake bracket do rust and that rust makes the pad stuck and wear fast at minimum.

Most engine and electrical problems are same across all Fiero years but does have "minor" differences for 84, 85-86, 87-88.
Example: See my Cave, Duke Quick Ref
V6 is mostly same but change or deleted some parts in 88.

Do Not think "The Fiero Store" is a "friend." Use them as Last Resort at best to find a part. They like others happily sell many crap or Illegal parts like Headlight and Brake "upgrades."

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

sillyvain

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2021 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sillyvainSend a Private Message to sillyvainEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys for your wisdom

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2021 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will also run across a few "hand wringers" who will denigrate people who make changes to stock platforms.
(Admittedly, there are some "bad" modifications, but some are beneficial. And many are innocuous, at worst.)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock