Started on: 05-14-2021 05:07 PM
Replies: 17 (625 views)
Last post by: theogre on 05-20-2021 10:39 PM
Skybax

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2021 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Went to junk yard this morning to buy a set of GT wheels they had listed in inventory. (called them yesterday and asked if they had all 4 and they said yes still on the car, but when I got there they only had 2 wheels, typical time-wasters but that is another story) Anyways, so while I was there looking around I snapped a few photos while I was there, looks like the fire started in the lower front of the engine...

[This message has been edited by Skybax (edited 05-14-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2021 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Area of fire would indicate a fuel line failure.........
Skybax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2021 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking that or the old style oil pressure sending unit started leaking badly.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2021 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe either... or just a side effect...

Because Can be electrical too.
Plus Bat Cable often have problems from exhaust, pulley(s) rubbing, and more and dump 300+ amps from the battery.

Then notice no battery... Maybe battery cables are there, hard to tell.
Maybe moved to front like many here.
If True, Iffy rewiring for that can cause a fire.

Example: Many put big wire from front to starter and whatever crap wire from starter to + box under C500.
Often a wire not rated for bad environment or hot places and never bother w/ fusible link or anything else when that "jumper" shorts out.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 05-14-2021).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2021 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would say a fuel leak is entirely possible. The hoses that bridge the connection between the hard lines from the filter/tank and to the fuel block are made of a 30+ yr old rubber compound. Also the gasket under the fuel block will completely deteriorate over time. How about the rubber gas tank fill hose? Those are three likely places for a leak. Also oil from a leaking rocker cover gasket could spill down on the extremely hot CAT and cause a fire as well as well as a battery cable short as stated above.
The solution is to always carry at least two fire extinguishers. A friend of mine had a oil feed line to his turbo charger break and it didn't take long for the fire to flare up. Fortunately he was able to quickly grab his fire extinguisher and he put it out with minimal damage.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Skybax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2021 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amazing how all the fire causing possibilities mentioned apply to most cars on the road, and with any mid-engine car it seems magnified.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2021 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bet it was the battery.
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2021 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

I bet it was the battery.

Having had the side of a bat eaten by a pulley due to failed strap i was in this camp.
Then i saw the plastic guard was still intact. I also see the battery leads so i doubt it was relocated as some suggested. I also doubt it was oil sending unit or crack in the block dumping oil on the cat.
I would be willing to say fuel line vs positive battery cable. Or just a leak or crack in the fuel line. Id have to see the whole engine bay to wildly speculate further.

Skybax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2021 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:

Having had the side of a batt eaten by a pulley due to failed strap i was in this camp.

Ouch, that sounds nasty, can you elaborate on that? What strap and fail how?

I had a battery explode in my face when I was 17 years old while installing top terminals on my 71 Mach1, the top of the battery ricocheted off the underside of the hood, and never found it. I was at my friends grandfathers furniture upholstery shop when it happened, in a panic I ran into their bathroom to flush my eyes/face with water, and the only thing sitting on the sink was a small white bottle with blue letters that said... Battery Acid Neutralizer for Eyes. Not kidding, and I have other stories a lot crazier than that.

After that I wear safety glasses ANYTIME I'm connecting/disconnecting a battery. (even when done correctly always a risk)

[This message has been edited by Skybax (edited 05-15-2021).]

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2021 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Skybax:

Ouch, that sounds nasty, can you elaborate on that? What strap and fail how?

The hold down strap thing on our batteries. The nut had suddenly disintegrated due to rust causing the battery to become loose. I didn't have the plastic tray so as i turned corners the battery suddenly was making contact with the pulleys. Brand new battery and it took a trip around the block to almost eat through the plastic housing on it. Lucky i had not put my vent on as i was just going around the block for a test. I thought for a moment i had not tightened it down enough but it had stripped out.
Skybax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2021 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeesh! I don't recall a strap on my Fiero's, just a standard wedge-style hold down.
PFF
System Bot
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2021 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah the wedge is what i mean its a tie down of sorts
dremu

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2021 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:

Having had the side of a bat eaten by a pulley due to failed strap i was in this camp.
Then i saw the plastic guard was still intact. I also see the battery leads so i doubt it was relocated as some suggested. I also doubt it was oil sending unit or crack in the block dumping oil on the cat.
I would be willing to say fuel line vs positive battery cable. Or just a leak or crack in the fuel line. Id have to see the whole engine bay to wildly speculate further.

"A side of bat eaten" sounds like an Ozzy Osbourne thing. (Yes, I know it's apocryphal and even Sharon doesn't know if it's true. Still.)

-- A
Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2021 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Skybax:

I had a battery explode in my face when I was 17 years old

Same thing happened to me with a very hot fork lift battery when I was 18. Quite an explosion. Both eyes filled with hot acid and was rushed to the hospital a couple blocks away. Tear ducts are amazing and eyes were fine, but skin on my face had a good cleansing and red for awhile. Very frightening experience. What's werid is we could never find any of the battery caps, actually the whole top was mostly gone. Vaporized?

[This message has been edited by Imnuts (edited 05-18-2021).]

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2021 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Skybax, I had a 1973 mach 1 Mustang back from 1990 to 1999....Modified the crap out of it....a friend who raced a BMW 3 series drove it and stated that it handled and rode better than his 3 series.

I sold it in 1999 and just checked state records- apparently it ceased to exist back around 2002.....

Here is the thread I just posted in "Other cars".....https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum10/HTML/000806.html#p0
Skybax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2021 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Imnuts:

Same thing happened to me with a very hot fork lift battery when I was 18. Quite an explosion. Both eyes filled with hot acid and was rushed to the hospital a couple blocks away. Tear ducts are amazing and eyes were fine, but skin on my face had a good cleansing and red for awhile. Very frightening experience. What's werid is we could never find any of the battery caps, actually the whole top was mostly gone. Vaporized?

That's crazy you had a near identical experience. I heard the battery top hit the underside of the hood, so I know it flew off, but probably underestimated the distance it traveled, which is whey we never found ours.

Originally posted by cvxjet:

Skybax, I had a 1973 mach 1 Mustang back from 1990 to 1999....Modified the crap out of it....a friend who raced a BMW 3 series drove it and stated that it handled and rode better than his 3 series.

I sold it in 1999 and just checked state records- apparently it ceased to exist back around 2002.....

Here is the thread I just posted in "Other cars".....https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum10/HTML/000806.html#p0

Nice car, bought mine at 17 years old for $700 and it was my daily driver. Was black with white interior, decent shape with shiny paint, but rusty floors and tail panel. It had a 351 Cleveland with Crowler cam and lifters, 750 double pumper and long tube headers.

[This message has been edited by Skybax (edited 05-20-2021).]

css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2021 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting that at least around here, we almost never see Mustangs from that era. Older ones, yeah, ALL the time. But not these. It would be cool to have one.

[This message has been edited by css9450 (edited 05-20-2021).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2021 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:
Interesting that at least around here, we almost never see Mustangs from that era. Older ones, yeah, ALL the time. But not these. It would be cool to have one.
Likely because many 70's Mustangs were Mustang II that was a jumped up Pinto/Bobcat w/ same L4 V6 or even maybe a small block V8. or 80's Mustang SVO uses "Pinto" L4 w/ Turbo that didn't last long and Ford didn't sell many of them either.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock