Sadly, it might be time to say goodbye to my 88GT by tmach90
Started on: 04-14-2021 06:49 PM
Replies: 13 (648 views)
Last post by: tmach90 on 05-02-2021 12:10 PM
tmach90

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2021 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tmach90Send a Private Message to tmach90Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First, let me say I've been lurking for years (and have learned a lot from everyone here, so thank you all!) but have rarely ever posted anything. In fact, I may never have posted before. Not sure. So it's strange that this is the first one... but today I learned I'll probably have to say goodbye to my 88GT.

The main reason for my post is to see what you guys think I should ask for it, if I have to sell. It seems everything I haven't already worked on or replaced has broken all at once. Here's the list:

The A/C has never worked (although previous owner did have it converted). I know the compressor is bad, don't know what else.
The water pump just started leaking
Coolant hoses are pretty old and really should be replaced, though I don't see any leaks there yet
Whilst under there looking for the coolant leak I noticed both rack and pinion boots are cracked and need replacing
And finally, the big one--it's leaking oil from the crank case and the rear main seal. It isn't a massively huge leak (I rarely need to add any) but it's only going to get worse.

The problem is, I'm not the most mechanically minded guy out there. The problems I would try to tackle myself I don't have time to do anymore, and I can't justify paying that much money for someone else to do the work. I really don't want to see it go to a junk yard or be parted out--just hoping someone who wants to take on the project and will actually enjoy the car will want to take it. Also, I'd like to get a little something out of it.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time. I'll attach more pics of the car when I get a chance to rinse it off (it spent the past couple of days outside, and the pollen is caked all over it right now.)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2021 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does it have a clutch or is it an automatic transmission? It would be a shame for it to go to the boneyard. Some years ago I was at a pic&pull yard and spotted a 86 SE loaded to the teeth and virtually untouched. I wanted a minor part off of it but didn't have the right tool to remove it without ripping things apart so I returned the next morning early, so I thought, and the car was literally picked to the bone. I asked one of the yard-birds what happen and he said 2 or 3 guys showed up together and within a few hours there was nothing left but a shell.

Long before I got involved in Fieros I saw a worse case than that. My friend & I scratched our heads for quite a while before we came to a consensus that it "must have been" a Fiero because the only clue left was the supporting structure for a center console and some of the remaining floor pan telling us it had once been a 2 seater vehicle. A sight we'll never forget so please don't let it end up as any of the above and keep in touch should you find a new home for it.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2021 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tmach90:

First, let me say I've been lurking for years (and have learned a lot from everyone here, so thank you all!) but have rarely ever posted anything. In fact, I may never have posted before. Not sure. So it's strange that this is the first one... but today I learned I'll probably have to say goodbye to my 88GT.

The main reason for my post is to see what you guys think I should ask for it, if I have to sell. It seems everything I haven't already worked on or replaced has broken all at once. Here's the list:

The A/C has never worked (although previous owner did have it converted). I know the compressor is bad, don't know what else.
The water pump just started leaking
Coolant hoses are pretty old and really should be replaced, though I don't see any leaks there yet
Whilst under there looking for the coolant leak I noticed both rack and pinion boots are cracked and need replacing
And finally, the big one--it's leaking oil from the crank case and the rear main seal. It isn't a massively huge leak (I rarely need to add any) but it's only going to get worse.

The problem is, I'm not the most mechanically minded guy out there. The problems I would try to tackle myself I don't have time to do anymore, and I can't justify paying that much money for someone else to do the work. I really don't want to see it go to a junk yard or be parted out--just hoping someone who wants to take on the project and will actually enjoy the car will want to take it. Also, I'd like to get a little something out of it.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time. I'll attach more pics of the car when I get a chance to rinse it off (it spent the past couple of days outside, and the pollen is caked all over it right now.)

I'd hate to see you junk it. We are out in Staunton and while we definitely don't need another major project, if you need a place for it to land keep me posted.

~ Jen
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2021 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never saw a price?
tmach90

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2021 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tmach90Send a Private Message to tmach90Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks all!

I didn't list any price because I was just trying to get some suggestions as to what it might be worth. I'm still trying to figure out a way to fix the problems or have them fixed. Some friends have offered help in this regard but the big issue continues to be the engine seals since that requires dropping the transmission and that's something only pro mechanics have offered to do -- for a hefty price, of course. I'll move it over to the Mall when it's time to actually try to sell, or now if you guys that's appropriate.

Also, since I left it out of the OP by mistake, she's a manual and shifts well. As with any old manual I've ever driven, it sometimes requires a little wiggling to get into certain gears (in this case, just 3rd) but it's a minor issue that only pops up occasionally. I got her about 10 years ago and she was originally white, but it was original paint and was in terrible shape, so I had it painted medium red. It's a 10-foot paint job, but way better than the original. She was in pretty good shape at the time other than that. Needed a lot of little things--parking brake didn't work, temp gauge didn't work, radiator fan would only come on sporadically, etc. Nothing that was too difficult to fix. Over time I had to replace the starter and had the fuel pump replaced and that's about it. Overall she's been very reliable for a 30 year old car! Currently has about 107k miles.

Jen, thanks for the offer and I'll certainly consider that.

You can probably tell I'm torn on this. If everything had decided to wear out a couple of years ago, I'd have just fixed what I could and had a trusted shop do the rest. Unfortunately, times are different now.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2021 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unless it's excessive, you might be able to ignore the leaking oil. Lots of Fieros (both 2.5 and V6) leak a little.

The water pump is a bigger issue but fortunately doesn't require that much work.
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2021 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:
...The water pump is a bigger issue but fortunately doesn't require that much work.

Agreed, the water pump replacement is not that hard. Takes about three hours. On a scale of 1 to 10, it's about a 4.

I was able to replace from the top of engine. Some instruct you to remove the wheel & liner, didn't find that necessary.

Here's a link where I gained valuable information from members of our forum. My biggest hurdle was I wasn't sure I could do the job, but after talking with our experts, I was convinced I was up for the task.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...100421-2-081914.html

If you have any fellow forum members nearby, you might find support locally where you can get help.

I once had a problem that I had no idea how to fix, had a freeze plug let go on the V6. Had a member joesfiero offer help, I trailered the car to his house, and joesfiero worked his tail off, was able to replace the freeze plug. I thank him many times over for his work.

tmach90, good luck to you.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 04-16-2021).]

tmach90

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2021 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tmach90Send a Private Message to tmach90Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks again guys... that's exactly what I'm going to do. This weekend I'm making time for the water pump, and of course will change its belt at the same time. I should have some help if I need it. Also going to change out the oil pan gasket. I'll still take it to someone who knows what they're doing for the rack and pinion stuff, but that won't put me over the edge. If the leak from the engine seals stays small I'll try to ride it out until things have changed enough that it won't be a struggle. Who knows, maybe by then the clutch will also need changing and I can take care of both at once!

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2021 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tmach90:

Thanks again guys... that's exactly what I'm going to do. This weekend I'm making time for the water pump, and of course will change its belt at the same time. I should have some help if I need it. Also going to change out the oil pan gasket. I'll still take it to someone who knows what they're doing for the rack and pinion stuff, but that won't put me over the edge. If the leak from the engine seals stays small I'll try to ride it out until things have changed enough that it won't be a struggle. Who knows, maybe by then the clutch will also need changing and I can take care of both at once!

The oil pan gasket may be more "fun" than you are anticipating. The front corners of the pan may not clear the bearing caps or crankshaft weights. You may have to support the engine from above, and remove the front mounting bracket, in order to gain enough room to drop the pan down where it will clear.

I'm sure that others may comment, if I've mis-spoken.
Good luck with your endeavor.

Edit - Have a good look at the base of the distributor, and see if there is any oil puddling on the top of the block, and running down. The distributor O-ring is notorious for leaking, and oil leaks down and can appear to be coming from... lots of other places.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 04-17-2021).]

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2021 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like previously mentioned a common leak at the distributor will create a puddle and that will overflow and run down the back of motor and transmission. I used a kit to find mine some years ago. Also found other leaks that I didn't know about.

https://www.amazon.com/ACDe...azon-devices&sr=1-13

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2021 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent, check your mailbox.

Rob
PFF
System Bot
tmach90

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2021 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tmach90Send a Private Message to tmach90Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

The oil pan gasket may be more "fun" than you are anticipating.

You aren't kidding! That's going to have to wait for another time. Fortunately the oil leak isn't THAT bad!
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2021 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

The oil pan gasket may be more "fun" than you are anticipating. The front corners of the pan may not clear the bearing caps or crankshaft weights. You may have to support the engine from above, and remove the front mounting bracket, in order to gain enough room to drop the pan down where it will clear.

I've done a couple of replacements but was a while ago. From memory; I was able to replace the oil pan gasket by disconnecting the dog bone, supporting the engine from below, then removing the front motor mount. I then jacked the engine up put a block of wood under the front mount bracket and the cradle and that gave the necessary room to remove the oil pan of course by first draining the oil.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

tmach90

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2021 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tmach90Send a Private Message to tmach90Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's exactly what it took. Fortunately, since I took it to a mechanic for the rack and pinion boots, he did that too without charging much extra. Which was nice. He also didn't change one of the boots, which was not nice so the car is going back to him on Monday. Sigh.

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I've done a couple of replacements but was a while ago. From memory; I was able to replace the oil pan gasket by disconnecting the dog bone, supporting the engine from below, then removing the front motor mount. I then jacked the engine up put a block of wood under the front mount bracket and the cradle and that gave the necessary room to remove the oil pan of course by first draining the oil.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock