4t80e axle build question by Billdavidson
Started on: 04-04-2021 06:38 PM
Replies: 6 (283 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 04-05-2021 11:43 AM
Billdavidson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2021 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BilldavidsonSend a Private Message to BilldavidsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone, I was wondering if someone can tell me how they made axles to fit the 4t80e Trans and our cars. I've tried the cadillac 4.9 inner tulips and shafts(which r the same length as the Beretta shafts)to the manual fiero outers and they are still to long.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2021 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have an answer but maybe this will help even though he discusses the Northstar. His 4/19 edit seems to have the resolution.

I see a lot of guys runnin the 5 speed with the northstar, but I know there are plenty running the auto as well. Maybe Madcurl may be able to help me out here?? Now that I've finished my sister's 3800 NA swap, I'm looking for something to play around with in my spare time.

I need to know what everyone is using for axles with this engine/trans combo.

Edit 4/19/2010
Quote from Fiero STS and confirmed in posts below..
"First disassemble the caddy axles. Take the shaft to your machinist buddy and have him move the snap ring grooves as close to the center as the splines will allow. About 3/8 inch. Do this to both ends, all four snap ring grooves. Then cut off that much from the ends. This shortens the axles 3/4 inch. Next disassemble the outer joints, removing the balls and cage, save the center portion the part that fits the axle. Next disassemble Fiero manual transmission axle outer joints. Auto axles will not work, they are too small. Save the outer part with the axle stub that goes through the bearings and drives the wheels. Now put the part you saved from the Deville outer in the Fiero outer, using the balls and cage from the Fiero outer. Now you have an outer joint that fits your Fiero and fits on the Deville shaft. Now reassemble complete shaft. You should end up with a shaft that is 3/4 inch shorter with caddy tripod on inside and fiero c/v on the outside. "
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2021 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to do some searching, but this is what I posted 12 years ago:
I need two 12" Berretta axles, and two tri-pots from a 4.9L Cadillac. This is the combination AJ used on his.

Bob
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2021 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you sure that you can fit a 4T80e transmission and N* engine in the Fiero engine compartment? Its a huge transmission. Have you measured up?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2021 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Are you sure that you can fit a 4T80e transmission and N* engine in the Fiero engine compartment? Its a huge transmission. Have you measured up?

Yes...

Bob
Billdavidson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2021 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BilldavidsonSend a Private Message to BilldavidsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've tried the 12" Beretta axles and 4.9 tripods and they are still to long. Also I'm using the Trans behind a ls4
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2021 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Billdavidson:

I've tried the 12" Beretta axles and 4.9 tripods and they are still to long. Also I'm using the Trans behind a ls4

Can't say that I've used them on a 4T80e but Chevy Cavalier std axles are pretty short. I've used them on the 4T65eHD. check them out.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock