3d printed over the roof scoops. by Curlrup
Started on: 03-30-2021 11:52 PM
Replies: 33 (957 views)
Last post by: LornesGT on 10-13-2021 07:04 PM
Curlrup

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2021 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've always liked the dual over the roof scoops. I know, they don't really do anything. I know, they might actually hurt any cooling from airflow.

However, I 3d print stuff for a living. I have CAD skills and a crap ton of 3d printers. I could spit some out. Does anyone have a few rough dimensions? I could draw this up pretty quickly and have one running.

I'll share the files with you guys when done so you can print your own.

Thankd
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2021 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also some past 3d printing projects, just because. [ img]https://images.fiero.nl/userimages/Curlrup/IMG_20210124_090225649.jpg[/img]
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2021 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much for R2-D2?
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2021 06:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

How much for R2-D2?

R2 will go to the grave with me or to my kids. He's cool though. Fully functional, and screen accurate. Radio controlled.
sourmash

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post03-31-2021 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Printing side scoops would be a better benefit and payoff.
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2021 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

Are you talking the whole 1/4 scoop or the ones that the Fiero store sells?
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2021 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

Sure. I would agree, but I just like the look of the over the roof scoops. Side scoops would run quicker since they could potentially be run flat. Regardless. This would be on an FDM machine and the finish work would be a lot on anything. This is a poorly done part and you can get better than this but just for illustration sake you would be starting with slightly better than this for surface finish.

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2021 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
over the roof scoops would be nice but hell with the heat of the engine area almost have to 3d print for molds and use the molds to make them in fiberglass. Side vents would be best again 3d printed buck and a vacuum forming machine that can vacuum 3/16" material. All are due able but would cost a reasonable investment.
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2021 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mmeyer86gt/gtp:

over the roof scoops would be nice but hell with the heat of the engine area almost have to 3d print for molds and use the molds to make them in fiberglass. Side vents would be best again 3d printed buck and a vacuum forming machine that can vacuum 3/16" material. All are due able but would cost a reasonable investment.

If I run them out of polycarbonate they will be fine. Glass transition temp on PC is 300-ish degrees F. Heck even Glass transition of PETG is about 170 degrees F. I think over a decklid grill they would be just fine.

Edit to say I run bits and bobs off FDM machines all day every day that go on vehicles in extreme conditions...straight 3d printed from the correct material works just fine.

[This message has been edited by Curlrup (edited 03-31-2021).]

Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2021 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Curlrup

2590 posts
Member since Apr 2007

Took some quick measurements and drew this up in about 30 minutes. Inspired by but not exact to the regular fiberglass scoops. Off to the 3D Printer.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2021 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You expertise in printing sounds great but could it have a negative effect?
The engine compartment in a Fiero gets its cooling mainly while you drive when air is diverted from underneath and out the vent grills at the sides of the trunk lids. By attaching an air scoop over the roof and over those vent grills, you create positive pressure going the other way. Wouldn't you be defeating the engine compartment cooling effect?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2021 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep. Well aware. I think it will be fine.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2021 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a suggestion for you; Set it up with a grill on the back side and an internal air mixer so the air coming IN the scoop above creates a venturi effect and draws MORE air from the engine compartment.........Just a (Crazy) idea....
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2021 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess I could.

I'm going to do some actual testing. Yes it will reverse airflow meant to keep things cool. However, maybe...just maybe this will improve cooling. I would think some higher pressure, higher velocity air coming in would be cooler. Worth a few spools of material to find out. Do some before and after engine compartment temp tests.
ignorant prodigy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2021 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so uh...
for those of us who don't have all the nifty printing tools... you gonna sell these?
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2021 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ignorant prodigy:

so uh...
for those of us who don't have all the nifty printing tools... you gonna sell these?

I'm thinking no since on my biggest machine just the over the roof part will take 23 hours to make one.....yikes. It's not fast but the machine does all of the work.
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2021 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Curlrup

2590 posts
Member since Apr 2007

And it begins.
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2021 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this is why you just print 1 (designed differently) so you can make a fiberglass plug then make as many as you want faster.
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2021 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:

this is why you just print 1 (designed differently) so you can make a fiberglass plug then make as many as you want faster.

But I need 2, and I hate fiberglass work. That's why I'm 3d printing them. Pull em off, sand, paint, install, done. If you have a 3d printer you can make a set too. Hate hate hate fiberglass work.
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2021 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok. Almost done. Time to slice up the rest.
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2021 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
good old simplify....
PFF
System Bot
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2021 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I got a bad section....no biggy, body filler. Here's the top. Now to run the rest.

Also yes good ol Simplify 3D.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2021 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Curlrup: I've always liked the dual over the roof scoops. I know, they don't really do anything.

I have a single over the roof scoop on the drivers side only which I prefer and I use to here the same comments. So I became creative and made it a functional Ram-Air scoop as part of the 3800SC swap. So now when I get heckled by any non believers I urge them to lay a $50 bill on the sun-roof in front of the scoop while I mash on the gas!! I may modify the original side scoop and ducting to help ventilate the engine bay.

Curlrup you have some terrific skills and I'm sure the members on this forum could keep you busy for a long time. I just spoke with Alexa and she says you're only 34 miles from my location as the crow flies. I'll let you know if I need something you make.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2021 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

I have a single over the roof scoop on the drivers side only which I prefer and I use to here the same comments. So I became creative and made it a functional Ram-Air scoop as part of the 3800SC swap. So now when I get heckled by any non believers I urge them to lay a $50 bill on the sun-roof in front of the scoop while I mash on the gas!! I may modify the original side scoop and ducting to help ventilate the engine bay.

Curlrup you have some terrific skills and I'm sure the members on this forum could keep you busy for a long time. I just spoke with Alexa and she says you're only 34 miles from my location as the crow flies. I'll let you know if I need something you make.

Spoon

Yeah man. I tinker.

I need more material. Waiting on the Amazon guy.

[This message has been edited by Curlrup (edited 04-03-2021).]

American Exotic

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2021 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for American ExoticSend a Private Message to American ExoticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know we all know The over the roof scoops are not practical ,but in my opinion, They look very cool. I have a set myself ,but am only using one scoop on the passenger side. I put a carbon fiber wrap over the scoop just to dress it up a bit and get a lot of attention. Good luck with your scoops. I’m sure they’ll turn out great. Just a suggestion, Are you interested in making the “Stealth Wing mounts? Those are very small, maybe easier, and have always been a hot seller in the Fiero community. If you would like to make a set, send them to my house. I’d be more than happy to test them and won’t even charge you!?😂😂 Just a thought, You definitely have talent and we can use someone like you ,in our community. Good luck👍
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2021 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by American Exotic:

Are you interested in making the “Stealth Wing mounts? Those are very small, maybe easier, and have always been a hot seller in the Fiero community.

I don't want to muddy Curlrup's thread with another topic so I'll just say this,

Although they are easier, one of the main failure points was the "overhang" of the wing once it was lowered and moved towards the rear. People would not read the warning pamphlet that came with each set and they used the wing to slam their decklid closed.....which in turn snapped the wingstands in half. That was one of the issues with making a truly "stealth" wingstand that was very thin near the back, otherwise to compensate, it would have to be machined out of aluminum which would drive up the cost.

If you have any questions about them, feel free to PM or email me.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 04-04-2021).]

WKDFIRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2021 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WKDFIROSend a Private Message to WKDFIROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Curlrup:

If it was the correct height I would use it as the original over the roof snorkel like the Pace cars did. (Not over the vents, right in the middle of the trunklid.)

Ive seen a few non-functional and I've always liked the look.
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2021 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:So I became creative and made it a functional Ram-Air scoop as part of the 3800SC swap. So now when I get heckled by any non believers I urge them to lay a $50 bill on the sun-roof in front of the scoop while I mash on the gas!! I may modify the original side scoop and ducting to help ventilate the engine bay.

Pics? i would luv to see pics!

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2021 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Took some quick measurements and drew this up in about 30 minutes. Inspired by but not exact to the regular fiberglass scoops. Off to the 3D Printer.

Amazed you can draw it up that fast. It takes me that long to remember how to start a new drawing.
Do to plan to share the file?

Also does it cover the complete vent? I thought they looked odd because they didn’t or maybe the reproduction vents didn’t.

[This message has been edited by LornesGT (edited 04-15-2021).]

Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2021 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll share the files no prob. I'm still working on this. I still need to button up a few other things on my car first. Like an EGR solenoid rebuild.
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2021 04:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by WKDFIRO:

If it was the correct height I would use it as the original over the roof snorkel like the Pace cars did. (Not over the vents, right in the middle of the trunklid.)

Ive seen a few non-functional and I've always liked the look.

I love the look too and wanted to mount and use for the engine intake. I bought one but when I test fit it, I realized I couldn't see out the back of the car using the rear view mirror.
PFF
System Bot
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2021 04:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

reinhart

1091 posts
Member since Mar 2002

Yeah man. I tinker.

I need more material. Waiting on the Amazon guy.

I'm not clear, are you making a center over the roof scoop or one of the side scoops that mount on the side vents?

I'm curious about how much in raw materials would someone making this cost him? (Assuming a person already had the right printer and everything and just needed to buy raw material)
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2021 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by reinhart:

I'm not clear, are you making a center over the roof scoop or one of the side scoops that mount on the side vents?

I'm curious about how much in raw materials would someone making this cost him? (Assuming a person already had the right printer and everything and just needed to buy raw material)

Yep side scoops. I should be getting back to this soon. Work and kiddos are eating up some time. I want to get one built, fit it then I will release the files.

So far I think this will cost about 2 rolls of filament so About $60 per scoop, then finishing materials.

[This message has been edited by Curlrup (edited 04-20-2021).]

LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2021 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suppose you would have posted about progress but still had to bump this anyway.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock