Plasti-Dip to change switch color? by mono
Started on: 03-15-2021 09:40 PM
Replies: 10 (426 views)
Last post by: Australian on 03-30-2021 03:58 AM
mono

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2021 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for monoSend a Private Message to monoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have success using Plasti-Dip to change the OEM grey color to satin black on PW switches, HVAC knob/buttons, etc. ?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2021 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've used plastidip on a couple of things. It isn't durable enough to withstand repeated abrasion as a switch would receive. It's designed to be removable, so there isn't a positive bond.

I have resprayed my window switches with a Krylon spray made for plastic. They have endured well for a number of years.
mono

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2021 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for monoSend a Private Message to monoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks fierofool!
That's what I kind of thought. Found mixed opinions on the internet, so I was hoping for "real world " advice.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2021 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have to really clean everything well. I snapped off the switch covers, wet them, then used a toothbrush with Dawn to scrub them, trying to get any oils and buildup off them. Then I used a Chore Boy to remove the chalking or you can use the Scotchbrite pads for cleaning glass cooktops. Once they were dry, I sprayed them, but I went back with a gray color that was slightly darker than the original. .

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 03-17-2021).]

mono

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2021 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for monoSend a Private Message to monoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A slightly darker grey?...that sounds like a better idea than the OEM grey or a black. Any pics?
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2021 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the car secured at the moment in case the severe weather hits us tonight. I can get a couple of shots for you tomorrow if that's OK.
mono

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2021 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for monoSend a Private Message to monoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep. That works. Stay safe!
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2021 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man, I'm sorry. I forgot all about you.

Edit: Ignore the date. This was taken today. The camera hasn't been used in ages.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 03-22-2021).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2021 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Heh heh, I noticed the masks hanging from the shifter in the above photo. Looks just like my (and probably everyone else's) Fiero these days.

Years from now, we'll be able to roughly date any photo we see with masks in evidence!
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2021 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, the mask on top is mine. The one with the ear loops tied is my 9 year old granddaughter when we go shopping or to have a sit-down bite to eat when I pick her up from school. I keep a similar combo in each of the 3 vehicles, plus a couple of unused spares for any unexpected passenger.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2021 03:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use real paint why use something that will peel you're restoring not just covering.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 03-30-2021).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock