Under dash High Power SPL subwoofer by Cajun Road Warrior
Started on: 01-15-2021 02:19 PM
Replies: 7 (600 views)
Last post by: Dudehuh on 04-13-2021 09:15 PM
Cajun Road Warrior

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2021 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cajun Road WarriorSend a Private Message to Cajun Road WarriorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a long post with a lot of pictures.
After burning up the original factory size subwoofer it was time for an alternative.
The research I've done on this is extensive and has been going on for more than a year.
I never noticed that some had a post here of an under dash subwoofer enclosure ten years ago.
Nevertheless this is what I made and the continuation of that project that is still under way.

Her is where I started.

When I bought this factory box on eBay it had a pyle woofer in it. I blew it up easily.
Then I bought a Kicker woofer at Walmart. It was a joke. I took that back.

I was looking at the space around the factory box and noticed a large amount of wasted space I could occupy with a larger box.

I just have remove and relocate this relay/chime box mount to do it.

I bought a Scar Audio 6.5" to get an idea of what needed to be done.
[img][/img]
The little Tang Band subwoofer. For it's size it does really well.

The Scar 6.5" is just a bit too large. Time for a new box.

I started with shaping one from polyurethane hard foam.

After hard surfacing the plug it's time to make a mold.
This isn't the best way but I was learning.

[img]//images.fiero.nl/userimages/Caj un%2520Road%2520Warrior/IMG_20200519_095231450_HDR.jpg[/img]

Testing the fitment of the Scar subwoofer.

Lesson learned here. DO NOT use any kind of paint to coat a mold surface. The chemicals of fiberglass resin will delaminate paint.

First box is beginning.

It's ugly but at the time I was just considering only making one.

Comparing to the original plug.

Test fitting the Scar subwoofer. I still have a lot of work to do before it's ready for install.

Comparing factory box to mine. There's quite a difference.

First time in the car. This is the Scar 6.5" it perfored pretty well but I had to be careful how much to push it. It bottomed out pretty easy. However the bass was AWESOME! Way more than I expected.

This is what I did for amps. One Amper Audio 250 watt amp and one 800 single channel amp. Because the 10" head unit has no massive box behind it I used that space for amps.

This is where the fun happens testing subwoofers and porting.
From left to right: Tang Band, Scar, Rockville, and Amper Audio.

Amper Audio performed the best. It had the most excursion and the loudest sound output.
I got a 110 decibels at 34hz ported and about a 101 sealed.

This is where I started improving my mold. I had to strip out all the paint and apply tooling gelcoat.
While I was at I made a delrin insert to better protect the subwoofer. No one makes a cover for the 6.75" subwoofer.

Box number 2

Nice tight fit.

Bond the two parts and clean up the seam.

All done?

Not even close.

After many talks with other enthusiasts it seams bigger as far as diameter so I started modifying my second box turning it into a plug for a new mold.
I can still use my old mold so I may make a few boxes from it.
The goal is to fit any 8" subwoofer and the Kicker Solo beric.

This is where I was two weeks ago. I'm done shaping and sanding. Now it's ready for gelcoat. After that it's smoothing and polishing.

Then the next step is making mold #2.

Latest pics. Just waiting on warmer weather for gelcoat. The little notch at the right side corner is made to clear a relay on some models.

For comparison.

Scar 6.5"

Kicker 8" Round.

Kicker Solo beric

[This message has been edited by Cajun Road Warrior (edited 01-15-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
msweldon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2021 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much $$ do you want for you to make me one? Seriously...

-M
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2021 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be interested in one as well.

Great job so far!

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2021 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome job!
Cajun Road Warrior

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2021 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cajun Road WarriorSend a Private Message to Cajun Road WarriorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by msweldon:

How much $$ do you want for you to make me one? Seriously...

-M

I'm trying to get an idea on that. These boxes are labor intensive right now.
Could be up to $600. I'm trying to get the process perfected so I can make them cheaper.
The price depends on time. Once the mold is working right these boxes could be made in a few hours. I may make more molds to speed up the process.

I'm also talking plastics manufactures on a rotomold process. That will bring the price down a lot.
George P Wood

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2021 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for George P WoodSend a Private Message to George P WoodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm happy with Rodney's sub replacement, but many want more.
I think you may have a real market out there for your box.
But the price will probably have to come down for that to happen.
Cajun Road Warrior

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2021 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cajun Road WarriorSend a Private Message to Cajun Road WarriorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by George P Wood:

I'm happy with Rodney's sub replacement, but many want more.
I think you may have a real market out there for your box.
But the price will probably have to come down for that to happen.

The price point is the issue. Fiberglass boxes are not easy to build, or at least the way I was building them. I'll need to make a hotter mix of gelcoat so it cures faster. The gelcoat has to be pretty solid before I add resin and glass. The resin cure depends on temperature and the amount of hardener mixed. I'll have to converse with other fiberglass professionals to make the process more efficient. I'm not looking to make money on this. It would just be cool to offer something to the community. It would be awesome to be able to build up to two boxes a day on weekends.
Dudehuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2021 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DudehuhSend a Private Message to DudehuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
any updates?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock